self checkout, opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I don't like interacting with idiot employees, I prefer self checkout (especially with certain retailers). About thirty years ago I asked the manager at a c-store why they didn't have soda taps at the pump, so I wouldn't have to go inside at all. Still waiting for that.

Originally Posted by motts
My Costco recently got self-checkouts and it significantly reduces check out times,

My Costco did away with self-check several years ago. Too bad. I liked the choice and it was quicker.

Originally Posted by ondarvr
Love them, I purposely go to stores that have them.

That.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
A regional grocery chain has little scanners you carry with you and you scan items as you get them and put them in bags. Like it for 2 reasons, you can see if the scanned price is the same as the price on the shelf tag, and you handle your stuff one less time. Walk up to a self checkout station and scan a bar code and it loads your items in and you pay. How does it know you're not stealing? It doesn't and I don't care. There is the possibility that these cost cutting measure help keep costs down in the ultra competitive grocery business but we'll overlook that.

Can't remember last time we used a checkout line with a clerk. Too many of them will put bread in the bottom of the bag and a 5 lb bag of flour on top. And they don't like reusable bags much either. No thanks.

And that. Sandwich rolls under canned goods was bad...but what really sent me into orbit was raw meat bagged with cans of highly toxic insecticide! I'm pretty sure they heard me in the parking lot that day.

As long as I don't have a lot of items, I like using them. That generally applies to my WM, Lowes, HD shopping. If I'm grocery shopping, many items I want full service, self check out a no go for me then. I will admit, though not often occurrence having to wait in a long-ish line at WM self check out, off putting. But, usually line at full service as bad or worse with more items in carts in front.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I feel if Im paying for merchandise I should also have service and support from the company. With self check out half of the experience is gone.

Typical millennial. Don't know about you, but when I go shopping, I go because I need to buy stuff and want to get in and out in the least amount of time. I don't go shopping for an "experience."

Originally Posted by atikovi
I feel if Im paying for merchandise I should also have service and support from the company. With self check out half of the experience is gone.

Typical millennial. Don't know about you, but when I go shopping, I go because I need to buy stuff and want to get in and out in the least amount of time. I don't go shopping for an "experience."

Good grief....You don't know if 1978elcamino is a millennial.
33.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4

Good grief....You don't know if 1978elcamino is a millennial.
33.gif

I wasn't saying he is a millennial, just that the comment is typical of millennials.
smirk.gif

I like them. I have a Kasasa cash debit/credit card and you have to charge up 12 items per month and receive 2.5% interest on your checking account balance. The most they will pay on is $25,000.00. I scan about 6 items separately at Walmart in order to get the 12 charges per month. I use another card to gain bonus money on large items. I usually try to charge 12 items or more within the first two weeks. The accrued interest is nice to receive every month. I always go when there are not a lot of people because I don't want anyone to wait for me scanning one item at a time and paying separately.

A lot of you guys need to stop shopping at such dumpy stores. My interactions with store staff are normally pretty pleasant at the stores I frequent.

I love self check out, its fast, care free and actually disappointed if a store I am in does not have one.
I always head to the self checkout.
Walmart and Home Depot have got it together in this respect.

Add to that, the fantastic Apply Pay app on my phone just makes it more fun. Man, it amazes how fast the payment is processed. Disappointed that Walmart near me does not yet have NFC payments?

And .... last but not least, my all time favorite store is one that I dont even have to check out at! Very cool.
Sams Club, we shop, fill up our basket and walk right past everyone in line, including the self check outs.
We use the app on our phones and just scan the stuff in our cart anyplace in the store/as we shop and once we are done, "slide to pay" walk right out.

Wife and I love shopping and everyone has their thing as far as experience, for us, since we also LOVE technology being able to use it is part of the experience. At the same time, unlike another in this forum, we all know who he is above, I do not disparage or label people if they do something for pleasure that I do not. (some people just want to rule the world as they see it :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
We use the app on our phones and just scan the stuff in our cart anyplace in the store/as we shop and once we are done, "slide to pay" walk right out.

I wonder if this isn't going to bite the stores in the back eventually. What's the chances of people either accidentally or intentionally not scanning an item?

I love self check out, its fast, care free and actually disappointed if a store I am in does not have one.

Add to that, the fantastic Apply Pay app on my phone just makes it more fun. Man, it amazes how fast the payment is processed. Disappointed that Walmart near me does not yet have NFC payments?

And .... last but not least, my all time favorite store is one that I dont even have to check out at! Very cool.
Sams Club, we shop, fill up our basket and walk right past everyone in line, including the self check outs.

Wife and I love shopping and everyone has their thing as far as experience, for us, since we also LOVE technology being able to use it is part of the experience. At the same time, unlike another in this forum, we all know who he is above, I do not disparage or label people if they do something for pleasure that I do not. (some people just want to rule the world as they see it :eek:)

Walmart is going with their own app for paying rather than letting customers use Apple Pay.

In those cases I use the physical Apple Card.

My first thought on this (way back) was jobs. Then you find yourself 5th in line while self check has an empty check out.
Early versions were terrible with messed up weight detection … but by updating and manning 4-6 checkouts … it's going pretty smooth.
I do like being able to bag stuff by what's going in the shop or garden shed vs what's going inside the house.
Oh, and if I'm buying something the kids might be sniffing … I will stock up on that and grab a bottle of wine.
Our Walmart manager is Ok with them looking at you as far as age … Walgreens is not so I don't buy wine there anymore

I rarely ever use self checkout. I don't pay the prices I pay, to scan and bag my own crap. I shop at a full service store for a reason.

I wonder if this isn't going to bite the stores in the back eventually. What's the chances of people either accidentally or intentionally not scanning an item?

I suspect the shoppers scanning their own stuff will be more accurate, Im sure it must be a big cost savings as its getting more rare every year seeing cashiers, that's a lot of money to be had for the limited thief. I think

Originally Posted by PimTac

..)

Walmart is going with their own app for paying rather than letting customers use Apple Pay.

In those cases I use the physical Apple Card.

Yes, I saw that Walmart has their own app and will not accept any store that forces me to put an app on my phone to pay, until they accept NFC, Ill use a physical card but it wont be Apple's physical card as they only give 1% cash back. I have Citicard on my Apple Pay, 2% cash back for everything, electronic or physical.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I rarely ever use self checkout. I don't pay the prices I pay, to scan and bag my own crap. I shop at a full service store for a reason.

Its ok, at one time, some people would only go to full service gas stations! (just have fun here:eek:)

Its ok, at one time, some people would only go to full service gas stations! (just have fun here:eek:)

He can drive to Oregon. I think they still don't allow self serve but that may have changed since the last time I was there.

Not many places give you a discount for checking yourself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back