Kitchen Cooking How Do You Degrease a Stomped Ceiling?

We cook often in our kitchen, and we're routinely searing things in the pan with oil, and etc. As you know this creates some mess. The steam and vaporized oil travel and over time coat assorted surfaces away from the oven which necessitates regular cleaning, not counting the immediate clean up of the range top and adjoining countertops right after dinner. The cleaning is no big deal except for one head scratcher: The ceiling directly above the oven/range. As is typical with homes built in the early 2000's, this house has the white plaster "stomped" ceilings. Not referring to the popcorn ceiling finish popular in the 80's.

Honestly, I'm not sure of how to clean the very slow accumulation of grime that is just beginning to show after about a year in this house. It's a localized area maybe about 5' x 4' above the range that you can tell, if you eyeball it, is taking on some particulate accumulation. I'm afraid to just try a conventional rag and cleaner or diluted Dawn mixture on the possibility that it may just make it look worse, since the plaster material they use when texture stomping a ceiling is chalky and porous.

Ideas?

FYI....You're not going to like this answer.

#1: Install a properly sized range hood which is ducted to the outside. Recirculating range hoods don't work.

#2: Clean and repaint the ceiling.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

#1: Install a properly sized range hood which is ducted to the outside. Recirculating range hoods don't work.

Oh, I understand completely. That's actually what I've been suspecting we'll need to do. Not the funnest idea, but the permanent solution. Has the microwave over the range with the recirculating hood under microwave, and the sham metal mesh 'filter' up in the range hood.

There's an option 3: stick something over the area and take it down to wash / replace regularly. If you use something reasonably stylish like peel and stick back splash, it should look ok.

You could purchase some of the decorative metal ceiling like from old days. Install that over your problem area and put trim around it. Do a nice job and it will look great and clean easy.

I'll second the recommendation for an externally venting hood. The ones built into microwaves don't do a whole lot even when vented to the exterior. It will help to crack a window when cooking particularly offensive/greasy/smoky stuff if the microwave type is vented to the outside.

Our prior home was built new by us with a tract builder and had the microwave/vent combo. The builder installed the vent on the outside of the house but whichever person mounted the microwave didn't cut the hole in the drywall or rotate the fan for exterior venting. Once I did that it made quite an improvement when combined with an opened window.

You use a hot TSP (tri sodium phosphate) solution on a mop. The mop is kinda important at least for the last step, normal wiping may produce streaks. You may still end up with blotchy areas BUT you had to do this anyway to get the grease off to ready it for painting if that is still needed.

Important - wear eye protection and cover skin. It is not horrible to get it on skin but will pull the oils out so should not be a long exposure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
You use a hot TSP (tri sodium phosphate) solution on a mop. The mop is kinda important at least for the last step, normal wiping may produce streaks. You may still end up with blotchy areas BUT you had to do this anyway to get the grease off to ready it for painting if that is still needed.

Important - wear eye protection and cover skin. It is not horrible to get it on skin but will pull the oils out so should not be a long exposure.
If it is plaster and you get it wet and mop it you will ruin the finish for sure.

If it were me, I would hose it down with brake cleaner. It will strip the grease off and perhaps not damage the plaster finish because of the lack of water? I've never sprayed brake cleaner on plaster but if you scrub it with anything it will destroy the finish. I think it's worth a shot if you really want to get the grease off while preserving the finish. Just put a pan underneath.
Originally Posted by PandaBear
There's an option 3: stick something over the area and take it down to wash / replace regularly. If you use something reasonably stylish like peel and stick back splash, it should look ok.
If you're at the point where you need to tarp the kitchen ceiling, other cooking arrangements should be considered.

EDIT: My idea is your kitchen is old enough to drive, it's time to renovate.

Last edited:
Not saying it's right, but brake cleaner is what they use at the dry cleaners.

Thats the answer. AND you still have to clean that! Life is work.

I used a sponge mop and ZEP degreaser straight. Took the grease right off. Ceiling had not been touched in 30 years.

Back