VW 508 Spec-0w20

XOM told me yesterday that the ESP X2 0W20 is only available at Porsche and Bentley dealers in the USA. No info on plans to expand availability.

I also contact XOM asking about availability the other day. This was the response I received.

Thanks for writing to us. For the moment, all of my Mobil 1 ESP oils have a much smaller market/demand compared to my Mobil 1 oils without the "ESP" identifier. Typically, the greater the demand, the easier it is to justify a wide range of container sizes.

For the moment, we are just on the leading edge of this specific oil's introduction to the market. We're hoping to see enough European vehicles moving to 0W-20 that we can ramp up production, make it easier to find this oil on the shelf, and justify a little more variety in container sizes.

The new Duramax I6 will use this spec oil as well. I read somewhere that the take rate for this motor will be around 10%. That should be 50K plus Silverado's alone per year. Hopefully with that and the Europeans (Porsche, VW, Audi) this will give them a reason to stock it on the shelf at a brick and mortar parts store.

I can't wait to see the look on some guys face when he finds out his new Duramax uses a 0w20 oil
shocked.gif

Bump

Just bought a 19 Passat 2.0T Budack. South Motors VW service department advised me they strictly use VW 508,00 0w20 and nothing else in these Budack cycle engines. No deviation.

Yeah, that's what most of the dealerships are saying. At 5,000 miles, I dumped the FF and put in Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 (504.00/507.00). It didn't blow up. At 10,000 miles, I dumped the Mobil 1 ESP and put in Castrol Professional OE 0W20 (508.00/509.00). I will now be doing 10,000 mile OCIs.

Originally Posted by MParr
Castrol Professional OE 0W20 (508.00/509.00).

Assuming you mean Castrol EDGE Professional OE 0W-20, this oil does not carry 508 00/509 00. You need Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W-20.

Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by MParr
Castrol Professional OE 0W20 (508.00/509.00).

Assuming you mean Castrol EDGE Professional OE 0W-20, this oil does not carry 508 00/509 00. You need Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W-20.

The Castrol that I put in my Tiguan most certainly does meet VW 508.00/509.00 specs. I bought it at a VW dealership. Do you see my profile signature? No need to nitpick.

Last edited:
Solely in the interest of being helpful to V-Dub owners who are bound and determined to conform to VW's requirement to use a 0W-20 weight 508 oil, and are trying to find it and save a buck or two, Deutsche Auto Parts (aka "DAP") -- with whom I have no financial ties whatsoever -- sells Castrol's 0W-20 LL-IV Professional for $7.50 a liter. They also sell it as part of maintenance kit (oil, filter, drain plug) : https://www.shopdap.com/5k-maintenance-kit-0w20-508-00-spec-oil.html.

Personally, I'd go with Castrol's 0W-40 weight oil instead, but that's me.

Originally Posted by wemay
Great price, thanks
That is what 2 separate dealers in ATL charge. In fact i think that is list price.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Great price, thanks
That is what 2 separate dealers in ATL charge. In fact i think that is list price.

That's pretty close to what I paid for the kit at VW Alpharetta.

Do any of you go the 10K miles between intervals as recommended by VW/Audi? I assume with this great 72K mile b2b warranty, they aren't concerned the 2.6/2.7 HTHS will be insufficient.

Do any of you go the 10K miles between intervals as recommended by VW/Audi? I assume with this great 72K mile b2b warranty, they aren't concerned the 2.6/2.7 HTHS will be insufficient.

I might not with Castrol but will and do only with the Mobil 1 ESP and/or Shell Euro LX 0W-30 oil. They have the best base oils and specs to boot and probably the best on the market. VW group just switched over to Mobil 1. The 508.00 certified oil is VERY robust and does that easily at 10K. It will maintain the HTHS and viscosity over 10K without a sweat lower Valvetrain deposits which have plagued VW/Audi engines for years. Someone just posted a comparison of the 508.00 specked oils. I'm going to post a UAO of these once I hit 10K.

Originally Posted by TheIceStormof06

I might not with Castrol but will and do only with the Mobil 1 ESP and/or Shell Euro LX 0W-30 oil. They have the best base oils and specs to boot and probably the best on the market. VW group just switched over to Mobil 1. The 508.00 certified oil is VERY robust and does that easily at 10K. It will maintain the HTHS and viscosity over 10K without a sweat lower Valvetrain deposits which have plagued VW/Audi engines for years. Someone just posted a comparison of the 508.00 specked oils. I'm going to post a UAO of these once I hit 10K.

Hi, yes, i posted that comparison and really don't see enough differences in testing data to say one is better than the others. Can you share the information regarding VWGroup switching to Mobil? I only find information where VWGroup and BP (Castrol) have extended their collaboration....

https://industryeurope.com/bp-and-castrol-announce-extension-of-global-partnership-with/

Capture.PNG

Call any AUDI and VW dealership and they will tell you, that's their preferred brand. Castrol is done. Porsche has been Factory filling their engines with Mobil 1 for years. The 508.00/509.00/504.00 specs are one of the most challenging specs to secure. Many traditional synthetic oils go down in grade. This stuff will stay in grade for 10K. HTHS of 2.6/7 isn't bad for daily duties. True that this comparison is very close and there's not a pig among the bunch. And that's the point. The VW cert requires quality. So the Mobil 1 is still the best of the best. I plan on doing a UOA in 10k on the ESP and EURO LX and will report back.

I haven't seen "one" official statement from VW Group or Exxon/Mobil that mentions a partnership. There are official statements from VW Group and Castrol about extending their partnership from 2018.
Exxon/Mobil does have an official partnership with Porsche and there were statements from both companies going back to 2018.
I will use whatever brand that is readily available for a decent price. Right now, that would be Castrol. However, RM Euro does carry Total at a good price.

@ TheIceStormof06

I did call (South Motors VW and Doral VW) and the two VW dealerships near me use Castrol exclusively for all their vehicles. Castrol is on my 2019 fill cap. Castrol and VW have extended their official partnership per press releases in 2018. That hardly means "their done".
If I may ask, which VW dealerships did you get your information from regarding this spec and others used for service?

I was also told that some dealerships use a VW branded oil made by...Castrol.

I also plan on going the full 10k miles. I also posted a UOA from Tiguan owner that showed an 8800 mile UOA that could easily have gone further. You're right that it appears to be a robust spec.

Back