Not open for further replies.

Jackson_Slugger

$50 Site Donor 2022
One of the greatest drummers I ever had the pleasure to see live is dead:

Neil Peart, Rush Drummer Who Set a New Standard for Rock Virtuosity, Dead at 67
Hall of Fame drummer succumbs to brain cancer

[Linked Image from rollingstone.com]

By BRIAN HIATT

QUEBEC, CANADA - 1st SEPTEMBER: Drummer Neil Peart from Canadian progressive rock band Rush recording their album 'Permanent Waves' at Le Studio, Morin Heights, Quebec, Canada in October 1979. (Photo by Fin Costello/Redferns)
Neil Peart, the Hall of Fame drummer for Rush, has died at age 67 of brain cancer.

Fin Costello/Redferns/Getty Images

Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist for Rush, died Tuesday, January 7th, in Santa Monica, California at age 67. The cause was brain cancer, which he had been quietly battling for three years, according to Elliott Mintz, a spokesperson for the Peart family. A representative for the band confirmed the news to Rolling Stone.

Peart was widely considered one of the best drummers in rock history, with a flamboyant yet utterly precise style. He joined singer-bassist Geddy Lee and guitarist Alex Lifeson in Rush in 1974, and his virtuosic playing and literate lyrics - which drew on Ayn Rand and science fiction, among other influences - helped make the trio one of the key bands of the classic-rock era. A rigorous autodidact and a gifted writer, he was also the author of numerous books. He was fiercely principled, and never stopped believing in the possibilities of rock and despising what he saw as over-commercialization of the music industry. "It's about being your own hero," he told Rolling Stone in 2015. "I set out to never betray the values that 16-year-old had, to never sell out, to never bow to the man. A compromise is what I can never accept."

"Neil is the most air-drummed-to drummer of all time," former Police drummer Stewart Copeland said in 2015. "Neil pushes that band, which has a lot of musicality, a lot of ideas crammed into every eight bars - but he keeps the throb, which is the important thing. And he can do that while doing all kinds of cool [censored]."

Rush finished their final tour in 2015; Peart was done with the road and eager to spend more time with his wife, Carrie Nuttal, and daughter Olivia.

This story is developing - LINK

RIP Neil. Can't believe it. I knew he had some health problems and severe tendonitis but I had no idea he had cancer. My thoughts are with his family, Ged and Alex and all of my fellow Rush fans. So sorry to hear this, he was one of the absolute very best lyricists ever and the greatest drummer I ever heard. We will surely miss him.

Rest in Peace Neil Peart. You will not be forgotten.

Just heard about it earlier from a friend who is a drummer . RIP Neil . Excellent drummer and gave the world a lot of great music .

Youngest drummer inducted into the Drummers Hall of Fame. He was inducted in 1983. He also wrote many of the lyrics of Rush's songs. Sadly missed

Writer of some of the greatest lyrics ever, and the best [censored] drummer I ever heard or seen. One of the reasons I picked up the drumsticks.

R.I.P., Neil. My condolences to Carrie & Olivia. May his spirit ever soar......

Originally Posted by cb450sc
Youngest drummer inducted into the Drummers Hall of Fame. He was inducted in 1983. He also wrote many of the lyrics of Rush's songs. Sadly missed

Limelight was about his adjustment to stardom IIRC
Great song

Sad, sad loss. Recently saw their Rush: Time Stand Still documentary. If you're a fan and haven't seen it, you're missing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back