10,000 Mile Fram PH2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped by Wally World to pick up a Motorcraft FL-820S for my sons truck. They were sold out of the MC, so I looked at Fram. There were also no Fram PH2's on she shelf. They had some TG's and XG's so when I looked to the back so grab a TG there was a lone PH2 in the very back.

The packaging looked different than the other Fram PH's. This one had EXTRA GUARD 10,000 mile protection. The other Fram Extra Guards there were labeled "Proven protection up to 5,000 miles."

This filter had the orange silicone anti-drainback valve, metal center tube and a metal back plate.

Comments?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There are a few discussions on this "new" filter and packaging. This redesign has been out for a year so it's not really new, but relatively speaking it is because the previous design ran for so incredibly long.

This filter can go up to 10,000 miles if that is the manufacturer's recommended service interval. It's not intended to mean it will go 10,000 miles on any engine.

Although if your engine is clean and healthy, and you drive a lot of highway miles... make your own conclusion. I've read some info on this extra guard redesign and it looks like a big improvement on the age-old XG filters.

The 10,000 mile labeling is within the past few months, the silicon ADV has been well over a year (almost 2 now I think?).

I would use it over a Tear-o-lator made FL820S any-day.

Originally Posted by blupupher
The 10,000 mile labeling is within the past few months, the silicon ADV has been well over a year (almost 2 now I think?).

I would use it over a Tear-o-lator made FL820S any-day.

I've always used the Morotcraft FL820S on the Explorer Sport Trac. I believe the MC was 3.97? at Wal Mart. This PH2 was 3.88 I really like the look and feel of this new design. It may become my go to filter for this truck.

Not that I'd run a 10,000 oci on that vehicle, but the 10,000 mile protection statement on the packaging is confidence inspiring.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by sohccammer427
This filter had the orange silicone anti-drainback valve, metal center tube and a metal back plate.

Metal back plate ... ?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Metal back plate ... ?

Baseplate?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

Metal back plate ... ?

Baseplate?

Probably ... but who's ever seen a baseplate that isn't metal?

Metal back plate ... ?

No cardboard end caps like some of the previous version were.

Metal back plate ... ?

No cardboard end caps like some of the previous version were.

You're probably seeing the metal leaf spring with the bypass valve assembly. You'd have to cut it open to see the end caps.

I am running the improved PH8A on my truck now without any problems. I won't take it to 10k however.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back