2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read stories about owners of this diesel deleting the DPF, cat, and AdBlu system. Is the 507 spec oil formulated specifically for the DPF? Once the DPF and other emissions hardware are removed, can any decent diesel oil (M1 TDT, for instance) be used in place of the 507? Or is there something about the lubricating properties of 507 that goes beyond the DPF application?

Mostly it's about the low saps and it is a good oil specification wise in any circumstance. Once the DPF and Converter are gone you can use pretty much any oil that will protect the turbo and mitigate the dirty diesel combustion process. Rotella comes to mind among other brands. The 507 is a 5W30 so I wouldn't stray too far away from that.

Good info on this site for what is involved in the delete and re-flash.

https://forums.tdiclub.com

Last edited:
Yeah the 507 is meant to help extend the life of the DPF so theoretically you could run just about any HDEO if you are doing a DPF delete.

My ? is has this car already driven past the mileage extension limits (162k) for the diesel gate warranty? The TDI warranty pretty much covers everything from the fuel fill nozzle to tailpipe (except transmission) that will trigger a CEL and doing the delete will null and void the warranty leaving you on the hook for repairs.

Originally Posted by whizbyu
I've read stories about owners of this diesel deleting the DPF, cat, and AdBlu system. Is the 507 spec oil formulated specifically for the DPF? Once the DPF and other emissions hardware are removed, can any decent diesel oil (M1 TDT, for instance) be used in place of the 507? Or is there something about the lubricating properties of 507 that goes beyond the DPF application?

So you want some assistance after you break federal emissions law?
31.gif

I haven't broken any laws other than go over the speed limit. Notice I wrote "I've read stories....", your honor.
banana2.gif

Last edited:
That's the plan with my 2013 Golf TDI once I'm past the CPO and Emissions warranty. DPF delete and tune. I'm planning on experimenting with diesel oils when that happens. Until then its a 507 and VW filter. Been running either Castrol Pro SLX ( OEM oil) or Pentosyn long life lll which is also 507. Can't tell a diff between them, Pentosyn is cheaper and I use their DSG fluid too so why not.

That is what I've been thinking all along until I realized that I will be deleting the DPF probably way before the DPF gets destroyed by using non 507.00 oil. Maybe it is a risk. Parenthetically, I've always been told 505.01 has the strongest film strength due to the PD cam requirement. Does that translate to 505.01 being a really good oil as far as wear protection is concerned?

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Yeah the 507 is meant to help extend the life of the DPF so theoretically you could run just about any HDEO if you are doing a DPF delete.

My ? is has this car already driven past the mileage extension limits (162k) for the diesel gate warranty? The TDI warranty pretty much covers everything from the fuel fill nozzle to tailpipe (except transmission) that will trigger a CEL and doing the delete will null and void the warranty leaving you on the hook for repairs.

And given how problematic and expensive the high pressure fuel pumps are on these cars, you'd absolutely want that warranty in tact.

If the HPFP goes out of warranty you're out thousands, as essentially your entire fuel system has to be replaced due to possible metal particle contamination.

Some TDI guys think you can extend the pump life with consistent use of Stanadyne at every fillup, but the jury is still very much out on that one.

I am coming up on 200k miles with my 2014 Passat TDI SEL. I run Delvac 1 esp 5w-40 changed every 10k miles and still have original DPF. I run ~35k miles a year and average 40 mpg post fix.

Originally Posted by jjblbi
I am coming up on 200k miles with my 2014 Passat TDI SEL. I run Delvac 1 esp 5w-40 changed every 10k miles and still have original DPF. I run ~35k miles a year and average 40 mpg post fix.

This is what I'm doing now in both my modern diesels that require a C3 type oil. They both run great on the synthetic HDEO and oil analysis always come back with low wear metals unlike when I used to use VW 507 oil. Never again

My 13' passat TDI SEL averaged 51-52mpg Hwy, but since the emissions update it's dropped to 38mpg at best and the oil reports show tons of aluminum now. In the last 15k miles it's went from not using oil to using 1qt every 1,000 miles or less. VW really ruined a good car, and now best they can do is tell me to come buy a new car. I'm lookin into deleting it and rebuild it myself. Hopefully then I'll have the reliable long haul car I had before.

Originally Posted by NVRENUFF
since the emissions update it's dropped to 38mpg at best and the oil reports show tons of aluminum now.

Have you had a dealer check for other mechanical issues? How much exactly is a "ton" of aluminum since hyperbole is a unitless measurement? Are your post-update UOAs in line with universal averages for your engine? You do realize that: 1. You need at least three samples minimum to form any kind of trend, good or bad, and 2. UOA is not the correct tool for the job if you think your engine's eating itself? Analytical ferrography, filter debris analysis, or partial teardown are needed if you really think its serious.

UOA is looking at stuff the size of red blood cells. so small you'd need it under 10× magnification before it was even as big as a human hair. If you truly value your vehicle, don't waste your time complaining on a message board, get into the dealer and make it their problem, because a bunch of "aww man that sucks" posts isn't going to fix your car once things spontaneously disassemble themselves.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
jjblbi said:
This is what I'm doing now in both my modern diesels that require a C3 type oil. They both run great on the synthetic HDEO and oil analysis always come back with low wear metals unlike when I used to use VW 507 oil. Never again

I've not heard of 507 lubes causing wear problems. What was your experience?

Originally Posted by BBDartCA
Originally Posted by CleverUserName
jjblbi said:

I've not heard of 507 lubes causing wear problems. What was your experience?

Early 507's were not compatible with the Touareg r5 TDI & V10 TDI. Early publications of the 507 oil lists advised against using it in those engines. I suspect the gear-based timing system (in lieu of a belt) excessively sheared the oils into nothing worth protecting.

Once again the EPA and emissions BS has apparently ruined things.... I be darned if I'd spend the money on a TDI for 38mpg when I can get that with any new gasoline eco car! TDI's have been getting 48-50mpg for many many years according to friends of mine that own them. I was contemplating buying one this year for a commuter but I think I'll pass now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back