2017 6.7 Cummins, Ram 2500, Valvoline 15W-40, 6400 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analysis done by Caterpillar SOS.

Truck is new to me as of 5 months ago, I have not done an oil change on it. Dealer says they used Valvoline 15W-40 and MOPAR filters when they put it on their lot. (they didn't have any more detail than that) Purchased as a Certified Pre-Owned truck with a hair under 24000 miles. While the milage was low I didn't find out until after i bought the truck that it had a whopping 2000 IDLE HOURS and only 200 driving hours (yes I know to check that on the dash for next time...) The transmission let go after I had the truck for 1 week/1000 miles but that was replaced with a brand new 68RFE and all associated lines, coolers, etc under warranty. I did this analysis to see if there were any indicators of engine problems or high wear. I sampled the oil at ~50% Oil Life indicated in the DIC the and changed the MOPAR filter out for a Fleetguard Venturi LF9028 Extended Life Filter. I did make a newbie mistake and pulled the sample on "warm" oil that had been resting for a couple hours instead of pulling a hot sample immediately after a good hard pull.

I've posted both this UOA and the one for my 1967 John Deere Payloader in a separate thread. These are my first UOA experiences and I appreciate your feedback.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just trying to deciefer their layout. So fuel is negative but percent fuel content is 3.27. As well soot is 15? Percent or is that a ppm count?

I run a 2017 with the ISB6.7 as well, so I quite enjoy UOA on the same basic setup.

Thank you for sharing!

I was wondering the same thing... I found this thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2229331 Basically I think it'll be a trending tool, not much more. I'm curious if that number will look different after 7k more miles using the Fleetguard Venturi Filter.

in regards to the Fuel being Negative I believe that its a negative in terms of an area of concern. The value found is below their threshold for flagging. If you look at my John Deere analysis with over 12% fuel its a "P" (Positive) ... I don't know where it would need to be for an "E" (Excessive)

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense, while 3.27% may seem high, its still well within Cummins 5% condemnation limit for fuel.

Originally Posted by BrianF
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense, while 3.27% may seem high, its still well within Cummins 5% condemnation limit for fuel.

Agreed, and this is with an emissions intact truck so my understanding is that can lead to high fuel counts in the oil. Again I'll be interested to see how this looks at 15000 miles.

Many variables aside, I have only done 2 tests on my truck. At 48 and 72,000km. Running 10w30, my wear metals were elevated but nothing out of the ordinary for an engine breaking in. The 24 to 48k test still had some factory fill in there. Less than 1% soot and under 3% fuel. the oil didn't shear or lose much for additives. It had plenty of towing and lots of cold weather driving and short trips. 60 idle hours.

My second test, 48 to 72k was showing similar soot, no fuel, dropping wear metals, not as much towing but a pile more short trips and cold weather idling. 100 idle hours.

I am pretty happy with this engine this far and plan to stretch out my oil changes well past the stipulated index.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back