i need a new speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
first thing is iam not good with computers. my son started me with ubuntu back in 1992-3. in 12-7-16 my GF set up a new computer for me. RC AMD 8A3.1 GHZ 4GB 500GB WIN10 3TR . / ultra durable GA-F2A68HM-HD2. still using ubuntu. all i need is basic speakers. iam NOT in high quality sound / music. i think ill start looking at amazon.

I would ask some friends/family if they have any older PC speakers laying around that they would give to you...I know that I have a couple sets in the basement that I would love to get rid of but I feel funny about throwing them away when I know they still work.

If you just want basic speakers, Amazon should be fine. They have ratings which may or may not mean anything.
Have fun with your new computer!
Ubuntu? Impressive.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I would ask some friends/family if they have any older PC speakers laying around that they would give to you...I know that I have a couple sets in the basement that I would love to get rid of but I feel funny about throwing them away when I know they still work.

This. How much would you charge the OP to ship to him?

I ended up donating some old speakers that worked perfectly fine last year. They were gifts from my parents while I was still in college; a nice 2.1 system that came with a case for all three components.

If I still had them I would send them to you for the cost of shipping.

how about this:

get a jbl charge or something similar with bluetooth,
put a bluetooth usb dongle on your pc and woalah,
you can use the jbl outside too

I use mine on my boat, in my van, for picnic or out fishing and at home to play music off my pc too.

Originally Posted by stockrex
how about this:

get a jbl charge or something similar with bluetooth,
put a bluetooth usb dongle on your pc and woalah,
you can use the jbl outside too

I use mine on my boat, in my van, for picnic or out fishing and at home to play music off my pc too.

I wouldn't use one of these as a permanent PC speaker. You're going to have it connected to AC power at all times, and the built-in Li-Ion battery in these portable speakers does not like sitting at 100% SOC non-stop. Also, some of these speakers produce buzz/hum when you have them plugged into AC power and try to play something through them.

But there are plenty of non-battery / AC only powered PC speakers on Amazon. I'm sure the OP can find something he likes.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

This. How much would you charge the OP to ship to him?
I ended up donating some old speakers that worked perfectly fine last year. They were gifts from my parents while I was still in college; a nice 2.1 system that came with a case for all three components.
If I still had them I would send them to you for the cost of shipping.

Not worth it to me to ship such low value items.
I just suspect that the OPer might know somebody like me with functional PC speakers sitting in his basement who would love to get rid of them with the knowledge that they would be used...

Originally Posted by Pew
Here's some super basic Logitech speakers for $9.

Jeez, tossing that in with another Amazon order to hit $25 (if not a Prime member) is probably even easier than bothering to find a local version of me with speakers he's dying to give away...$9 is like the cost of one really fancy coffee at Stabbuck's!
Good find....

I volunteer at a local thrift store and we get all kinds of computer equipment donated.
I work the "electrical" dept and I check anything donated that has a line cord or battery.
I am amazed at the great speakers that come in ...most work like new and sell for $5.00.

All items (except electrical) are sold as is/ no return. If you get your Altec Lansing speakers home and don't like the way they work you can return them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back