What gauge Stainless sink should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the quality of the sink determined by the gauge of a stainless sink or should I be trying to find the percentage of ingredients, composition? Then what thickness, 18 gauge? 20 gauge? Composition? Make? If I want it to scratch less what should I be looking for?

JL,
Don't get the 20-gauge. I recently cheaped out on a kitchen remodel and bought the "thinner" gauge stainless sink. It is really noticeable:
1. I makes noises when hot/cold water hits it.
2. The bottom buckles a little bit sometimes when full of water or heavy dishes.

Get the slightly thicker one.

Regardless of gauge of stainless, it'll scratch all the same.

We got one of HD's fake "granite" sinks for another remodel and they are fantastic. They are sturdy, quiet, and look good. However, they can stain with tomato sauce type stuff so be careful. You can kind of scour them out, however. Good luck.

I had my home custom built and the kitchen has an Elkay sink. It's undercoated and high quality. Elkay probably has Home Depot/Lowes grade while other retailers may offer better quailty.

Elkay makes some good sinks. I have one in my home and very happy with it. But do not buy the cheapest model.

And they are made in the USA.

Last edited:
I replaced the beat up double bowl glazed cast iron sink from the 1990's in our kitchen with a Sterling brand 22"x33" single bowl stainless steel cheapy from Lowes about a year ago. I think I paid $129. It still looks like new with the constant beating my family of 6 doles out. Specs say it's 20 gauge stainless.

My only regret is the ~$20 strainer assembly I bought and used for it. Don't do that. Get a good one.

18 gauge is good. Also look for 18/10 stainless. The 18 is chromium content and 10 is nickel. Good sinks will be undercoated or have some kind of soundproofing underneath.

If I find a used sink off of CL or my wife wants new, should I spray the bottom with black undercoating? What about spray foam that is used to fill spaces? for sound proofing

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
If I find a used sink off of CL or my wife wants new, should I spray the bottom with black undercoating?

That's a great idea and what it looks like on sinks, or spray bedliner. That yellow expanding foam stuff isn't very dense and probably wouldn't do much for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back