Looking for a reliable, fuel efficient car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by supton

I agree with Cujet, I'd check on actual costs, based on your annual miles driven, to determine what fuel cost you will have. It's nice to drive that cost down, but not if you're going to blow it on purchase cost or otherwise not wind up ahead in the game.

To that I'd like to add that driving something you don't like, or that costs much more, just to save 63 gallons per year is not the direction I'd prefer.

In fact, I'd pick "reliable" and/or "enjoyable" as more important than fuel economy. Put another way, if gas hits $5/gal, my example above leads to a $150 increase in costs per 10,000 miles. Less than the cost of a typical major repair, that's for sure.

I remain unconvinced that "economy" cars are all that economical in the end. As they often don't last as long, and resale value is low. Over it's lifespan, one might be able to drive a well chosen Accord for less than an economy car.

Last edited:
Since you want a hatchback:

Mazda2 or Mazda3 (preferred)
Toyota Yaris
Honda Fit
Toyota Matrix (or Pontiac Vibe which was essentially the same car)
Toyota Venza (basically a hatchback Camry) except it might not meet your MPG goal

About four months ago I bought a new 2019 Ford Fiesta S for $9995 plus tax. It's a pretty bare bones economy car but it has a full warranty and roadside assistance. It didn't cost much more that the really terrible used cars I was finding, so it made sense to me. So far I'm well satisfied with my decision.

I noticed VW Passats TDI slightly over budget with a VE Certified 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on them bumper to bumper.

How long you plan on wandering? This will cover two years and also easily exceed the 35MPG.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I noticed VW Passats TDI slightly over budget with a VE Certified 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on them bumper to bumper.

How long you plan on wandering? This will cover two years and also easily exceed the 35MPG.

The older Jettas would be much cheaper and mine is averaging 55MPG. Pretty bulletproof with normal maintenance.

Wow, seriously thanks everyone! Before I started this thread I was thinking about Mitsubishi mirage's, fiesta's, and civics. I had not even began to consider all these other options. This has really got me thinking. This site is great!

Also, I had never thought of mpg's/efficiency in the way that cujet had posted, that was really eye opening! While I appreciate and understand what was brought to light about efficiency (or the diminishing returns) as well as the possibility of sacrificing enjoyability for fuel economy, I feel that I should have posted earlier on about the other vehicles I own. My wife and I also own several other vehicles, primarily small 4 wheel drives(Jeep's, samurai's, trackers). While these are our daily drivers, the primary purpose of the Subaru I have now, and the possible replacement vehicle in discussion, is almost entirely for road trips. As such, especially considering the specific role that this vehicle is to occupy, I am ok with sacrificing some enjoyability if it means that the vehicle in question more fully meets the criteria needed of it.

Just as supton had posted earlier, I couldn't help but notice as well how many people were recommending Toyotas. That's really interesting to me

Originally Posted by MoPowa
Just as supton had posted earlier, I couldn't help but notice as well how many people were recommending Toyotas. That's really interesting to me

That's just status quo. There are more than a handful of people who cannot fathom why anybody wouldn't want a Toyota here. We now convert vehicle prices into "How many Camry's you could buy" after someone said "I can buy 2 Camry's for that price and each will be on the road years longer than that Camaro."
lol.gif

But for what you're wanting, a Toyota would be perfect. Though I really really liked the new Kia Forte rental I got to drive.

Originally Posted by Cujet
... I remain unconvinced that "economy" cars are all that economical in the end. As they often don't last as long, and resale value is low. Over it's lifespan, one might be able to drive a well chosen Accord for less than an economy car.

My "economy car" Mazda (below), for example?

2011-2017 Prius V Wagon
2011-2015 Mazda5; Change the 17" wheels to 16", common on Mazda3. An actual mini-minivan with flat floor behind driver seat.
VW jetta tdi wagon. flat floor also.
VW golf Sportwagen. Not really flat floor, but a big cavity in the trunk area after some spacers cleanup .
Kia rondo; rare these days
unicorn: Buick TourX AWD wagon. A german-made Opel estate.
Ford freestyle
Ford TaurusX
Ford Transit Connect Wagon. With turbo please.
Ford Flex

Also, not mentioned: Any minivan. Toyota made an AWD model
SUV: galore, but not in your MPG reqs.

If the vehicle you will get is noisy, some sound pad would solve that under $500.
Choose tires with "meat" and in common size.

I'd say the Golf Sportwagen in flat in the back. The folded seats have a slight incline if there is nothing on them but if you put any kind of cargo with some weight they sit flat. Find a 5 speed manual front wheel drive model on the stock 15" wheels and you can pretty much bank on a 40 mpg high way number if your driving it efficiently. Question is, can you find one for 10k? They are getting very affordable in the used market.

I've hauled a lot of things in my GSW. an entire pallet of books in boxes can fit if needed. If you want some space while still having the MPG, the 5 speed GSW is really good.

Originally Posted by Pew
A 5-Speed Focus. The horrible DCT tanked the focus's resale, so even the manual ones feel the burn with resale. Cheap, easy to work on, and generally very reliable in non-DCT transmission form.

I have to second this choice. I have 90k hard driven trouble free miles on mine. Still have over half of the original brakes left somehow. Average 37-38 with mixed driving.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Cujet
... I remain unconvinced that "economy" cars are all that economical in the end. As they often don't last as long, and resale value is low. Over it's lifespan, one might be able to drive a well chosen Accord for less than an economy car.

My "economy car" Mazda (below), for example?

Whoa!!! Impressive!!!!!!

I was thinking of a friend who purchases the cheapest car and commutes 4 hours/day in it. He wears out engines in 125K-150K just about every time.

But others here should know that engines like the Miata engine can run and provide good service without sparkplugs, coolant or engine oil. [Just a little joke]

While it's really enjoyable to make fun of the Prius, it's a fantastic performer in it's own right, with a knowledge base that helps owners get good results. Unfortunately, many owners kept their older Prius too long and suffered battery failures, head gasket failures and even engine replacements. I'd choose the Accord Hybrid over a Prius. Both can be had for about the same price. But I'd choose the Accord because it's a more substantial car and not because I think it's more reliable. I don't know the answer to that one.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thank you to all who posted in this thread, it has truly been a great help! I actually just purchased a Prius C and, I can't believe I'm saying it but, I actually love it! It fits every parameter I set. Now to start agonizing over oil, oci, transmission fluid...

Originally Posted by MoPowa
Just wanted to say thank you to all who posted in this thread, it has truly been a great help! I actually just purchased a Prius C and, I can't believe I'm saying it but, I actually love it! It fits every parameter I set. Now to start agonizing over oil, oci, transmission fluid...

Let me add something to the OCD list:
-a sticker with "You've been passed by a Prius"
-Does it ticks the max speed at 106 MPH?

Look into Hertz sales. I see a bunch on Toyota Yaris hatchback for sale with less than 40k miles for right under $10k. They have the tried and true 4 speed auto and engine combo.

Edit: just saw your purchase. Great choice!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Coastie05
Look into Hertz sales. I see a bunch on Toyota Yaris hatchback for sale with less than 40k miles for right under $10k. They have the tried and true 4 speed auto and engine combo.

Edit: just saw your purchase. Great choice!

Weren't those things like 14K new?? Price seems really high for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back