GM 2.8 Duramax - Delvac ESP 5w40 CJ-4 - 5300 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CleverUserName

This is a good article, it is more accurate

more accurate...I stopped at the word Yackley.

Why is your Yackley "more accurate" than my Yackley ?

Our NA trucks are not rated at 148 KW.

missed question, what are they rated at over there ?

edit, and are the tuners working with hacks from other countries ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

The jalopnik article is written for their typical reader. It’s simplistic and basic. It focuses on the emissions and there is very info about the engine itself. There are also some inaccuracies.

You should try reading the one I included. It is a technical paper with lots of details about the 2.8.

I think our trucks are rated at 135 Kw.

There is only one tuner who has done comprehensive testing with this engine. They also developed a similar tune originally for the the VM R428 in the Jeep Liberty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MichaelArch

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Did your regens shorten? Mine come in around 250 miles every time. Just wondering if this affects regens in any way. I also installed a provent and have been pulling a fair amount of oil out of it. Thanks for any insight!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Switching to an HDEO will not have any measurable effect on your regen frequency or interval.

Fuel quality, engine load and driving style are the biggest factors in determining your soot loading to the DPF.

You should try using a quality fuel additive that boosts cetane to 50-55 CN and/or contains catalysts to enhance combustion and reduce smoke. It may also give you a couple extra MPGs as well.

There is also a aftermarket tune for the 2.8 Duramax which reduces EGR flow, and fueling. This tune will also reduce your regen interval as less soot is generated.

Thank you! I've found a local station that claims to have premium diesel, power service xtreme diesel. I've started using this station exclusively. My regens always hover around 250 miles unless I take a trip. I am looking into some of the tunes out there, just trying to decide whether I want to delete completely or not first lol. Thanks again for the input!

The jalopnik article is written for their typical reader. It’s simplistic and basic. It focuses on the emissions and there is very info about the engine itself. There are also some inaccuracies.

You should try reading the one I included. It is a technical paper with lots of details about the 2.8.

I think our trucks are rated at 135 Kw.

There is only one tuner who has done comprehensive testing with this engine. They also developed a similar tune originally for the the VM R428 in the Jeep Liberty.

Are you tuned?

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/gm/%EF%BB%BFfirst-look-%EF%BB%BFgms-2-8l-duramax/

Clearly we have different understandings of "technical paper"

The 2.8 Duramax is not a VM engine. GM made a number of changes the the A428 to solve it's shortcomings and make it more robust for a truck application.

-New Cylinder Head
-Bottom End Modifications
-Smaller VGT Turbo
-Denso CR Solenoid Injection
-EGR, DOC, DPF, SCR
-Etc....

Per your "paper"

Quote:
The engine, though new to the North American market, has been on sale globally since 2011. It launched with 2.5- and 2.8-liter versions of the motor we will have starting in model year 2016. This revised 2.8-liter motor has significant changes that will be rolled out globally with some changes specific to our North American market.
Yackley told DW that at its core, the block, crank, cylinder head, all the valve train, the camshaft and the entire top end are common with the global application. “The reason we’ve done that is it’s a proven engine around the world in key markets… (from) 2011 when we launched it.”

BTW, your "paper" refers to 200hp (147KW, and 500NM)...'zackerly the same as the VM "paper" that I linked to

Originally Posted By: MichaelArch

Thank you! I've found a local station that claims to have premium diesel, power service xtreme diesel. I've started using this station exclusively. My regens always hover around 250 miles unless I take a trip. I am looking into some of the tunes out there, just trying to decide whether I want to delete completely or not first lol. Thanks again for the input!

Premium Diesel is mostly a marketing gimmick. Unless the Cetane rating is posted on the pumps, it's a [censored] shoot what your going to get. I looked up the PS extreme diesel and they do not list any specifications for the product, so it probably varies based on the base fuel quality.

It's cheaper to just get D2 from a high volume station and dose a known fuel additive. The additive I use raises cetane 5-8 points plus has enhanced lubricity and catalysts. I dose @ 10 mL per gallon of fuel (400:1). Additive dosing increases base fuel cost $0.10/gallon. I think the premium diesel is probably more than $0.10/gal so you can save some money if you buy a pail of additive and dose it yourself.

I'm not tuned yet. Green Diesel Engineering won't sell me a tune because I live in California. I need to find away around their shipping restrictions.

Clearly we have different understandings of "technical paper"

Technical Artice. Regardless of the semantics game, there is clearly more Technical data in the Diesel World Technical Article than the fluff piece written in Jalopnik.

The 2.8 Duramax is not a VM engine. GM made a number of changes the the A428 to solve it's shortcomings and make it more robust for a truck application.

-New Cylinder Head
-Smaller VGT Turbo
-EGR, DOC, DPF, SCR
-Etc....

Per your "paper"

Quote:
The engine, though new to the North American market, has been on sale globally since 2011. It launched with 2.5- and 2.8-liter versions of the motor we will have starting in model year 2016. This revised 2.8-liter motor has significant changes that will be rolled out globally with some changes specific to our North American market.
Yackley told DW that at its core, the block, crank, cylinder head, all the valve train, the camshaft and the entire top end are common with the global application. “The reason we’ve done that is it’s a proven engine around the world in key markets… (from) 2011 when we launched it.”

BTW, your "paper" refers to 200hp (147KW, and 500NM)...'zackerly the same as the VM "paper" that I linked to

Yep correct. GM intially made the first refinements to the A428 when launched in 2011. There was another evolution when the 2.8 rolled out. Then, later, NA specific enhancements which also differ from the global 2.8 engine.

-New Cylinder Head
-Smaller VGT Turbo
-EGR, DOC, DPF, SCR
-Etc....

The above components have been redesigned from the original A428. It is not a VM A428. It is not made by VM.

We have lower NOx limits in the US, which is why our trucks makes less HP. The technical article touches on that but doesn't provide specific details.

More NA data: http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines/docs/GMQD16CL660_LWN_Product PDF.pdf

I'm glad I could help you understand more about our trucks.

Never for a second did I say that it was made by VM, any more than the VM 2.0 in my wife's Captiva was "made" by VM, nor did VM make the more than 1M units of that design.

Nor are any of the G.E. derivative steam turbines manufactured under licence by (say) Toshiba are made by G.E.

It's a VM design, regardless of who/where it's built.

Bringing back to life this "argument" I mean thread. If you all need some partial input to settle this, it's the same engine with minor alterations and neither of those articles are very good technical documents. A technical document at a bare minimum would be some sort of manual found here for the liberty CRD: https://jeep-manual.ru/files/KJ/25CRD.pdf . Okay enough of that, the reason I'm interested in this thread is I'd like to build one of these engines for high horsepower and torque. Does anyone have any ideas on aftermarket performance parts for these engines? I'm going through the jeeps colorados canyons etc in my searches but I'm having limited results returned. Any ideas from anyone on here on any variations of this engine with performance parts? TIA!

Originally Posted by BSPUSA
Bringing back to life this "argument" I mean thread. If you all need some partial input to settle this, it's the same engine with minor alterations and neither of those articles are very good technical documents. A technical document at a bare minimum would be some sort of manual found here for the liberty CRD: https://jeep-manual.ru/files/KJ/25CRD.pdf . Okay enough of that, the reason I'm interested in this thread is I'd like to build one of these engines for high horsepower and torque. Does anyone have any ideas on aftermarket performance parts for these engines? I'm going through the jeeps colorados canyons etc in my searches but I'm having limited results returned. Any ideas from anyone on here on any variations of this engine with performance parts? TIA!

Rather than resurrecting an old thread in the oil analysis section it would be better if you post this maintenance question in that area.

Originally Posted by BSPUSA

Not much is available in NA for these yet.

There are a set of Carrilo rods for the 2.8 Duramax.

No pistons or anything else. Blackbird solutions has a different turbo wheel that fits in the OE housing. Supposed to be capable of 36 PSI boost. Nobody makes a custom exhaust maniford or adapter to use other turbochargers on these engines yet. Not much aftermarket support considering this engine has been out for 4 years now.

The 2.5 and 2.8 Duramax has been around for quite awhile in Asia and they do have a racing scene so there may be parts available if you make some calls to the right person. I'd love to do a 250 HP build with a set of steel pistons myself.

Originally Posted by Shannow
53,000km, and the DPF regen hasn't happened once...niether has the Cpativa...

On our GM 2.8 it regens every approx 500-700 miles. You need to see it with an advanced scantool because there is no indication on the dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back