2019 Toyota Highlander LOTS of metal flakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JLTD
Hopefully you got a UOA? It would be good for comparison with other similar engines.

UOA won't even see any of the flakes, they are orders of magnitude too large. Only the bits of aluminum that have already been pulverized and ground up will be visible, since ICP is only looking at things ~7 microns and smaller. These pics show why it's wrong to try to make judgment calls on wear based on a UOA as the only data point... filter debris analysis and analytical ferrography is what the OP would need in this case to figure out if the flakes are piston, cylinder, cam, bearing, etc etc.

Thanks for pics OP, hope your problems are over now. BTW... I believe this would fall under the term I recently learned with some new machinery at work... "infantile failure" for when it poops the bed essentially out of the gate. I thought the term was a little humorous.

Originally Posted by benjy
the DOWNSIDE to thinner oils said to increase mpgs, a LITTLE is their thinner oil film aka thickness in the bearings carry less contaminates before scratching VERY important surfaces + as it thins with age + common DI dilution it gets even THINNER protecting even LESS. many brands like toyota + honda are NOT worth the xtra $$$$ for the reliability they are THOUGHT to have!!

Originally Posted by benjy
the DOWNSIDE to thinner oils said to increase mpgs, a LITTLE is their thinner oil film aka thickness in the bearings carry less contaminates before scratching VERY important surfaces + as it thins with age + common DI dilution it gets even THINNER protecting even LESS. many brands like toyota + honda are NOT worth the xtra $$$$ for the reliability they are THOUGHT to have!!

This is asinine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back