Heritage .22 Revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Marco620
Very much like the recent video of Colion Noir with the Ruger 454 Casull just not cheap! His narrative was fantastic.

You mean his flinch was fantastic, his narrative was a bit sophomoric... lol

Question for the guys who own a Rough Rider with the combo .22 LR/.22 Mag cylinder. When you look closely at the two cylinders, Is there some kind of difference in the bore holes in the cylinder between the two? Heritage says that .22 short, .22 long and .22 LR can all be shot out of the regular cylinder.

So what's different about the .22 Mag cylinder where you couldn't shoot everything from .22 short to .22 Mag out of the Mag cylinder? The bores are probably the same diameter and length. Or is there some kind of physical difference with the cylinder bores (ie, slight bore step down location difference)?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Question for the guys who own a Rough Rider with the combo .22 LR/.22 Mag cylinder. When you look closely at the two cylinders, Is there some kind of difference in the bore holes in the cylinder between the two? Heritage says that .22 short, .22 long and .22 LR can all be shot out of the regular cylinder.

So what's different about the .22 Mag cylinder where you couldn't shoot everything from .22 short to .22 Mag out of the Mag cylinder? The bores are probably the same diameter and length. Or is there some kind of physical difference with the cylinder bores (ie, slight bore step down location difference)?

The bullet and case are the same diameter with a .22 LR. The bullet fits inside the case on the mag, like most other ammo.
[Linked Image]

I had a convertible gun once, and I'd only buy another one if I was concerned about resale--I don't hunt and thus 22Mag is kinda useless (to me) for plinking. I'm not sure if accuracy really drops that badly, due to that extra thousandth inch, but I think the knowledge of that would bug me, regardless of results. That said, I just looked and it appears I still have a couple hundred rounds of 22 mag, that almost justifies buying one...

i was surprised today to see a $169 22lr ruger wrangler for sale cheaper than a $199 22wmr/lr heritage roughrider. imho, having experience with both revolvers, these prices are bass-ackwards, but the market rules and far be it for me to complain about an inexpensive ruger.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

The bullet and case are the same diameter with a .22 LR. The bullet fits inside the case on the mag, like most other ammo.

[Linked Image]

Didn't know that about how the bullet fits in the case between the two since I have no firearms that take 22 Mag, so really never researched it.

After some time digging around, I found this info on the 'net ... sounds like the case diameter on the 22 Mag is a bit wider (0.016" larger in diameter - specs in the Wikipedia links), so apparently it won't even fit inside a properly machined 22 LR revolver cylinder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Winchester_Magnum_Rimfire

Also ...

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-22LR-rimfire-and-22-Magnum

"The barrel is sized to work properly with both bullets. The problem is when people try to shoot .22LR in a .22WMR cylinder (ask me how I know). The .22LR will expand inside the magnum cylinder, and may rupture, due to the different diameter of the two cartridge cases. Since the .22LR is not supported properly in the magnum cylinder (and probably not concentric to the bore axis), the accuracy is nil. It looks more like a shotgun pattern than a group."

"A .22 mag will not chamber in a firearm chambered for .22 LR (long rifle). More important, though it will fit into the chamber, do not try to fire a .22 LR in a firearm chambered for .22 WMR (.22 mag) These calibers are not interchangeable "

"The .22lr could be fired in the mag chamber but would probably split the case and there is a long free bore which would let the bullet wobble before it hit riflings."

Originally Posted by jstert
i was surprised today to see a $169 22lr ruger wrangler for sale cheaper than a $199 22wmr/lr heritage roughrider. imho, having experience with both revolvers, these prices are bass-ackwards, but the market rules and far be it for me to complain about an inexpensive ruger.

The 22 Mag cylinder adds ~$30 to the price of the Heritage with the Combo cylinder setup. I ordered the 9-shot Heritage with both cylinders for $175 (the 2nd photo in my original post).

Ruger doesn't offer the 22 Mag setup on the Wrangler. I read someplace that Ruger was not going to offer it with a 22 Mag cylinder in the future ... but don't know how true that rumor is.

$175 for a 9 shot, 22wmr/lr heritage roughrider is a great deal. mine was $250, after adding in shipping and ffl transfer costs. 22wmr handgun specific defense ammo makes it a reliable, inexpensive, low recoil, but loud, home or camp protection handgun.

$175 for a 9 shot, 22wmr/lr heritage roughrider is a great deal. mine was $250, after adding in shipping and ffl transfer costs. 22wmr handgun specific defense ammo makes it a reliable, inexpensive, low recoil, but loud, home or camp protection handgun.

Sportsman's Warehouse. Buy on-line and have it shipped to one of their nearby stores. Free shipping and no other fees to buy - just go to the store and buy it like it was in their gun case in the store. Their add doesn't mention it has the Combo cylinders, but it does because it's Heritage Model RR22999MB4. The "M" on the model number denotes "Magnum".

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...-475in-blued-revolver-9-rounds/p/1618391

nice deal...if in-state and/or less than an easy 1-2 hour's drive each way.

Yep, I got a Superman's Warehouse store about 15~20 min each way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back