New Lawn Mower Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall that. I don't think I did anything with it, and now the time has passed.

I think the engines are RATED at their HP, but many don't produce that when pressed into mower duty because the government now mandates limiting blade speed to 3100 RPM or under. So engine may get close to the rated HP, but never will be allowed to approach it.

I was simply commenting on the idea that I believe both my engines are close to the same size ~190cc, IIRC. The OHC Chonda outperforms the flathead briggs for what I believe is the same or similar displacement.

Both started on the first pull yesterday when I gassed them up. It does appear the bottom of the dipstick on HF Chonda has broken off.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Just picked up the Greyhound 5.5HP engine at Harbor Freight for $79.99+tax.

It appears to be a ChiCom copy of a Briggs &

Actually, it's a copy (supposedly authorized) of a Honda GXV160, aluminum block, iron sleeve engine.
That would be a goood engine.

This mower continues to soldier on. Three mowings this season. No drama. If you have the choke engaged it will start on the 1st or second pull.

New plug and an oil change this year. This is the first new plug for this engine. The Torch branded plug was probably fine. Just thought a new plug might be a good idea.

It's a shame that they stopped carrying these direct Honda copy engines. I have a Harbor Freight Predator 173cc engine on a free Toro that I got. It's not a direct Honda copy and is just a Chinese overhead valve lawn mower engine made by Rato. Very good power and good durability so far, just wish it was an actual copy of a GXV160.

Predator engine
image_19732.jpg

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
It's a shame that they stopped carrying these direct Honda copy engines. I have a Harbor Freight Predator 173cc engine on a free Toro that I got. It's not a direct Honda copy and is just a Chinese overhead valve lawn mower engine made by Rato. Very good power and good durability so far, just wish it was an actual copy of a GXV160.

According to this thread: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-predator-engines/49218-predator-vs-greyhound-5.html

The new engines are just enlargements of the old, but still basically Chonda's. I own none of them, so can't compare. Perhaps the OP or another owner can comment.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

According to this thread...

The new engines are just enlargements of the old, but still basically Chonda's. I own none of them, so can't compare. Perhaps the OP or another owner can comment.

Some of the predator engines are still copy's of Honda engines, like the 6.5HP 212cc engine in that post. The 173cc vertical shaft engine has some design elements of the Honda GXV160, but is not a copy engine at all, and is more it's own design really.

This is my 3rd year (I think) with a 173cc Predator. I have been impressed. It is slightly larger than the B&S it replaced, but it has so much power. I should be ashamed to say how high my backyard was before I cut it today. It was knee high... I've been gone a lot
smile.gif
It powered through it with nary a stumble. It bogged and died once and I believe that is because the chute was clogged. So much quieter than the Briggs too.

Finally gave up on the mower deck this weekend.

The engine was still running. The handle collapsed on me. I could have gone looking for a replacement handle, or braced it to try to limp it on.

I'll probably hang on to the engine and let the deck go if I can't find a buyer for the whole shooting match.

There are at least three different brand new $260 Lawnmowers today, that are so much easier to operate and push, versus that old green thing pictured here. Retire that thing. Push it to the curb and let someone else deal with it.
Better yet, take it to your nearest VFW Hall-branch for donation purposes.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
There are at least three different brand new $260 Lawnmowers today, that are so much easier to operate and push, versus that old green thing pictured here. Retire that thing. Push it to the curb and let someone else deal with it.
Better yet, take it to your nearest VFW Hall-branch for donation purposes.

Maybe easier to operate, yes as apparently I'm the only one who can work the rigged manual choke (Chock as Greyhound spelled it).

Easier to push, probably not. This relic has Ball Bearing wheels.

The $240 replacement came with a real Honda engine, automatic choke, but not ball bearing wheels.

I have one newly revived Lawn Boy runner It, and its replacement, a'94 Toro 21" 3 spd, are Craigslist freebies. I stopped buying mowers around 1988 and rehab freebies instead. The Toro GTS starts easily and cuts great. RWD with a rear bagger. Away better mower than The Craftsman 22" I paid nearly 200 1984 dollars for.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by bubbatime

According to this thread: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-predator-engines/49218-predator-vs-greyhound-5.html

I have a Predator 173 that's been heavily used for a couple years now. What I do know is it is a pushrod operated overhead valve very similar to the GXV160. How similar? I'm not sure to be honest. What I do know is that it's possibly the easiest starting and most powerful mower engine I've ever owned. I own two identical mower frames, one with a Honda GCV190 and the other with a Predator 173. It's hard to tell any difference in performance. The Predator 173 does use the same flat panel air filter as the Honda GC engines.

I have what is essentially the same engine, an early powermore, on a Yardman leaf vac. It has hundreds of hours on it since like 2010. It works fine. I only use Synthetic oil and keep the air filter clean as those leaf vacs kick up tons of dust. It can be hard to start when hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back