Solid choice 0w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded my vehicle to a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I stayed with the 3.6 Pentastar. It now calls for 0w-20 for CAFE numbers I guess. My old Jeep JK called for 5w-20. I used Kendall Gt-1 or Castrol black bottle in it. I want to use the recommended oil viscosity but 0w-20 is new to me and I have some concerns. Looking for recommendations for a solid choice in 0w-20. I went through the owners manual and there is no "may use 5w-20". I wanted to see what recommendations the forum had for 0w-20. Thanks!

Hard to go wrong really. Pennzoil has the Chrysler spec, if I'm not mistaken, so maybe give that a try.

You are correct, the 20 grade oil is due to CAFE; the original specification for the 3.6 Pentastar was 5w-30 (which is what I'd use)

That said, JustN89 is correct, to meet 0w-20 all the oils will be pretty good. What's your budget for oil?

Castrol Magnatec
Pennzoil Platinum
Castrol Edge
Mobil 1 EP
- in no particular order - thats just what I pick from depending on price.
not that I wouldn't pick up Supertech if nothing was on sale

On my 2015 Caravan with the Pentastar, I've used Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, and Valvoline White Bottle 5w-30 in Summer months. No issue with any of those three oils.

Current fill is Pennzoil Ultra 0w-20.

I would go with Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 if you are concerned about Warranty.

M1 AFE, EP, Pennz Plat, Pennz Ultra, Toyota, QS, valvoline, supertech etc etc. Tons of great options. Choose your preferred brand and go with it. My fave 2 are; M1 AFE & Pennz Ultra.

Once upon a time 5w30 was "per CAFE" and people had the same concerns then as you do now. Pretty much any brand name 0w20 will get that Pentastar well over 200,000 miles. I'm sure your Wrangler will just be but a memory by then.

Here's one.

8F1A5B75-CFD2-4834-B7EB-F64B1924F197.jpeg

I have a 3.6L Pentastar in my Pacifica.

A note on oil pressure. It has some fancy oil pump that either has 32 PSI at lower speeds, or 85 PSI at higher speeds. Thats it. Its a two speed oil pump. There is no in between. Its either 32 PSI, or 85 PSI. I dont know how it works.

That being said, I believe the engineers got it right. 0W20, at those pressures is overkill. You got plenty of oil on the bearings. Also, it says 4000 mile changes if you idle a lot, which I do.

I'm the first person on this board to throw the CAFE out the window with the bath water. I dont think a 30 weight is really beneficial in this engine. I truly do believe that it was designed to give a very long life on 0W20 oil.

That being said, I'll never do the 10K miles changes that the car ask for, I always do 5K miles with synthetic. I did an oil change a few days ago, and from start to finish took me a grand total of like 6 minutes. And that included the clean up. So easy and cheap to just do it myself every 5K miles. No need to extend that out to 10K. Thats my opinion.

I'm running Castrol 0w40 in both my Pentastar's. Hot idle is 33-35, cold is 90+, just like it was on 5w20 and 0w20. Cruising along at 1500rpm in 8th gear it's at 40.

Bubbatime, the way I understood the oil pump on these is it's variable output AND variable pressure. When cold, it reduces the amount of oil pumped, and as it heats up it increases how much oil is pumped. Get above about 3500rpm and the pressure goes back up to ~90.

Originally Posted by The_Captain
I upgraded my vehicle to a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I stayed with the 3.6 Pentastar. It now calls for 0w-20 for CAFE numbers I guess. My old Jeep JK called for 5w-20. I used Kendall Gt-1 or Castrol black bottle in it. I want to use the recommended oil viscosity but 0w-20 is new to me and I have some concerns. Looking for recommendations for a solid choice in 0w-20. I went through the owners manual and there is no "may use 5w-20". I wanted to see what recommendations the forum had for 0w-20. Thanks!

Mobil-1 EP is the consensus favorite here, because of PAO content.
Pennzoil, Castrol and Valvoline rock too, just a step behind.
Then there's Magnatec and Quaker State following the four names above.
House brand names follow behind the six I mentioned above.

It really depends on how long you're keeping the new ride. I keep mine 18 years on average. So if you sell long before it's old age, use the house brands like Supertech, NAPA......etc...... OEM filters to save more money.

If you have a ton of money, Amsoil, Red Line, Ravenol, Schaeffers.....etc..... are worth mentioning.

Last edited:
If you're concerned about the warranty and want to run a Mobil product, Super is the on oil they have that meets the MS6395 spec. Pennzoil is the factory fill and meets the spec. Good luck with it, I love my JK Rubicon.

RGT, QSUD, PPHM, Valvoline synthetic with Maxlife technology, AC Delco, and STHM are 0W20's I've purchased and can't tell the difference in operation. If you are following the recommended OCI I'm certain the engine won't know the difference either.

I bought a ton of full synthetic maxlife for the wifes 2018 rogue for $1.92 a qt. I have no issue with it and when I emailed valvoline they assured me high mileage oil is fine for new cars. I switched from PP the first two changes and noticed no drop in economy. Someone posted how high mileage oil may be beneficial so we're gonna see.

If you have a NAPA store nearby they usually put their synthetic oil on sale this time of year for $3/quart. It's made by Valvoline and is a really good oil. I did a UOA after 5k in my Mazda Skyactiv 2.5 and it had thousands of miles left in it.

Any synthetic 0w20 that's on sale will suffice for that engine for the recommended OCI. I'd be more concerned with using a quality filter personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back