Can i use this oil in my Mercedes ?

Hi guys,

I found two 5 liters countainers of Shell Helix HX5 15W40 that i bought a few months ago for a car i no longer have.

This is an API SN oil, which i think is mandatory for E85 and it is the only fuel i run but there's nothing like "MB 229.1, VW 505.00..." written on the container. My car's owner manual says to use MB 229.1 oil only. (1998 Mercedes W202, M111 engine).

I would assume this oil exceeds the needs of the old 229.1 specification being a recent API SN oil.

Is it OK for a short OCI or should i get rid of it ?

Last edited:
I was thinking about waiting until summer in the case of using it but i live in Brittany in France and the weather is the same as in Portland or Seattle i guess.

Originally Posted by M119
This is an API SN oil, which i think is mandatory for E85 and it is the only fuel i run but there's nothing like "MB 229.1, VW 505.00..." written on the container. My car's owner manual says to use MB 229.1 oil only. (1998 Mercedes W202, M111 engine).

I would assume this oil exceeds the needs of the old 229.1 specification being a recent API SN oil.

What would give you that idea?

This is how the Lubrizol Relative Performance Tool compares the two:

[Linked Image]

Based on kschachn's info, I wouldn't use it. SN is not close to what your car requires. I gotta find that chart.
smile.gif

Thank you, this is the kind of answer i was looking for. As i understand it, a 229.1 oil is still better in some areas. So the best would be to stick to oils that are both API SN (for E85) and MB 229.1/3/5 right ? Seems like a no brainer.

It's not like you're making a permanent switch to this lube, right? You're just looking to use up a couple of jugs of oil, no?..i would hardly think running a short oci or two with this oil is gonna grenade your engine. I'd run it for 3 or 5k miles just to get rid of it, then make the switch back to the mfg spec lube. Unless you think that MBZ engine is too fragile to handle it?? Which case maybe you shouldn't be driving it at all.....‚

(maybe do a 50/50 with a spec lube until you get rid of it if that makes you feel better)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
Based on kschachn's info, I wouldn't use it. SN is not close to what your car requires. I gotta find that chart.
smile.gif

I had no idea that a car with an early 90s engine would have higher requirements than what a regular today's API SN oil offers. And i guess MB 229.1 is even older than the 90s. Honestly i think that the oil is good enough for this engine and has a good additive package despite the lack of any manufacturer's approval of the container. However i will not take any risk.

The idea of pouring this non approved oil in my engine came from a bunch of videos of people filling similar Mercedes engines with stuff like Castrol GTX high mileage 10W40 or Pennzoil 20W50 which are not MB approved, just API SN. I think oils are less likely to be MB approved in the US, maybe that's the explanation. Here, 90% of oils carry are MB/VW/BMW/PSA/Renault and even Porsche approved, even the cheap stuff.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
(maybe do a 50/50 with a spec lube until you get rid of it if that makes you feel better)
Can't go wrong.

EDIT: Run it in the Pontiac Trans Sport. I haven't seen one of those in years!

Last edited:
Thank you, this is the kind of answer i was looking for. As i understand it, a 229.1 oil is still better in some areas. So the best would be to stick to oils that are both API SN (for E85) and MB 229.1/3/5 right ? Seems like a no brainer.

Your owner's manual actually says to use SN licensed oil if you're using E85? If so, then yes.

Hi guys,
I found two 5 liters countainers of Shell Helix HX5 15W40 that i bought a few months ago for a car i no longer have.
Is it OK for a short OCI or should i get rid of it ?

In situations like this I always ask myself, what am I saving & what am I risking?
If the risk is higher than the saving I will not risk it!

I had no idea that a car with an early 90s engine would have higher requirements than what a regular today's API SN oil offers.

They aren't connected, and some European manufacturers have long required stringent approvals for their vehicles.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Can't go wrong.

This car is only used to haul garbage nowadays, the transmission is slipping and shifting rough and i believe it's the old gritty fluid that still makes it go forward.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Your owner's manual actually says to use SN licensed oil if you're using E85? If so, then yes.

API SN is formulated to deal with E85 : API Oil Categories

My manual does not call for it as neither API SN or E85 existed back in 1998. Almost every oils are API SN in France as of 2019.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Can't go wrong.

This car is only used to haul garbage nowadays, the transmission is slipping and shifting rough and i believe it's the old gritty fluid that still makes it go forward.

So it's basically a POS and you're worried about running an SN rated lube for a 3 or 4k mile oci, did I get that right? That's funny...

Edit: Fwiw I have my own POS ride, an old pick up I use for dump runs and trips to Home Despot. You know what it gets?.. anything I have on hand and the thing still won't die....‚

Last edited:
I will probably keep the oil for this car but it sees maybe 2000 kms a year and i dont bother changing the oil anymore, maybe every 2 years...

I found two 5 liters countainers of Shell Helix HX5 15W40 that i bought a few months ago

That oil is more than just API SN it's also ACEA A3/B3, so it should be fine in your old MB, just don't run it too long, say 8,000 KM.

The MB specs are based on the Euro ACEA specs.

SHELL HELIX HX5 SN/CF, A3/B3 15W-40

Premium multigrade motor oil - Helps to remove sludge from dirty engines.

Helps to protect against wear and neutralise corrosive combustion acids

High total base number (TBN) to help combat corrosion and help to prevent engine damage and prolong engine life

For gasoline, diesel and gas engines; also suitable for biodiesel and gasoline/ethanol blends

Specifications: API SN; ACEA A3/B3

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

What would give you that idea?

This is how the Lubrizol Relative Performance Tool compares the two:

[Linked Image]

Inaccurate to say the least find out what the requirement was 22 years ago.

Go ahead and use it.

Back