I think I'm done fussing over filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
The reality is, pick a oil filter and be done with it.

Some on this forum analyze things too far, life is too short for worrying about oil filters.

cheers3.gif

That and even if you maintain the car religiously, someone could T-bone you at a stop light tomorrow.

That or if you go to a dealer then you'll learn the real value of a vehicle and not the sentimental one
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Got cold startup ticks and rattles? Swap that expensive high efficiency oil filter out with a basic filter.

You're welcome....

No real correlation. If someone gets cold start-up noise it's a leaky ADBV, not because of the filter efficiency. Besides, the positive displacement oil pump ensures proper flow.

Explain the cold startup noise on engines with no ADBV?

Exactly what engines are you taking about? And you have links showing those specific engines are making cold start-up noises?

Many engines do not use an ADBV (no, I do not log which ones do or don't) and have all sorts of noises when cold started, its usually lifter/lash adjuster or chain tensioner related noise and nothing to do with the filter. Many engine noises on cold engines are not related to the oil filter but rather hydraulic component leak down.

No real correlation. If someone gets cold start-up noise it's a leaky ADBV, not because of the filter efficiency. Besides, the positive displacement oil pump ensures proper flow.

Explain the cold startup noise on engines with no ADBV?

Exactly what engines are you taking about? And you have links showing those specific engines are making cold start-up noises?

Many engines do not use an ADBV (no, I do not log which ones do or don't) and have all sorts of noises when cold started, its usually lifter/lash adjuster or chain tensioner related noise and nothing to do with the filter. Many engine noises on cold engines are not related to the oil filter but rather hydraulic component leak down.

Exactly ... so even engines that use a filter that does have an ADBV can suffer from either: 1) Engine components that rattle because of hydraulic leak down or other parts clearance issues that are affected by oiling, and/or 2) a leaky ADBV that allows air into the oil galleries located after the oil filter. A positive displacement oil pump is going to ensure adequate oil flow at start-up, but it doesn't ensure how the oil moves out of the system when the engine is shut off.

And even on engines that use a filter without an ADBV, there's nothing to say or prove that the oil galleries can't leak oil out of them when they are shut off, thereby causing some start-up noise.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I already run whatever brand oil I find on sale or have a stockpile of because of rebates, why not filters too? My highway mileage has gone from 50% to about 10% since a role change at work so I've shortened my OCI to 6K mi max. My van is also about 6K but not sure if it goes longer from the Honda percentage algorithm. Last year while on vacation in North Carolina, I grabbed a couple 6607 Fram Core's for $1.90 each from a large box. I wish I would have bought the whole box. All I ever see on these forums is people cutting open paper endcap filters and they are perfectly fine. I think it's going to be supertech's, ACdelco's, Bosch, and Motorcrafts for me from now on.

I've been using AC Delco Professional filters for years and they've always done well. Each year I look up the best rated engine air and oil filters on several different web sites and AC Delco Professional filters have always been in the top 10 and more often in the top 5. Mahle is now the OEM manufacturer for FCA engine air and oil filters, specifically for the Challenger and Charger Hellcats. I've used these as well with excellent service. The most expensive engine air and oil filters are not always the best performers. In the past when I've had Fords, I always used Motorcraft engine oil and air filters and these gave excellent service as well. I think many of the claims that 3rd party manufacturers make have some snake oil in the mix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LTZ10
I already run whatever brand oil I find on sale or have a stockpile of because of rebates, why not filters too? My highway mileage has gone from 50% to about 10% since a role change at work so I've shortened my OCI to 6K mi max. My van is also about 6K but not sure if it goes longer from the Honda percentage algorithm. Last year while on vacation in North Carolina, I grabbed a couple 6607 Fram Core's for $1.90 each from a large box. I wish I would have bought the whole box. All I ever see on these forums is people cutting open paper endcap filters and they are perfectly fine. I think it's going to be supertech's, ACdelco's, Bosch, and Motorcrafts for me from now on.

I've been using AC Delco Professional filters for years and they've always done well. Each year I look up the best rated engine air and oil filters on several different web sites and AC Delco Professional filters have always been in the top 10 and more often in the top 5. Mahle is now the OEM manufacturer for FCA engine air and oil filters, specifically for the Challenger and Charger Hellcats. I've used these as well with excellent service. The most expensive engine air and oil filters are not always the best performers. In the past when I've had Fords, I always used Motorcraft oil and air filters and these gave excellent service as well. I think many of the claims that 3rd party manufacturers make have some snake oil in the mix.

Lots of snake oil indeed! It's funny, all we've used is Motorcraft oil filters on our Crown Vic and it's now got 340,000 miles + but the hoopla they get for being "so bad" is hilarious because that's all we've ever used on this vehicle.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I grabbed a couple 6607 Fram Core's for $1.90 each from a large box. I wish I would have bought the whole box. All I ever see on these forums is people cutting open paper endcap filters and they are perfectly fine.

The Fram COR6607 has metal end caps, doesn't it?

Not sure. I posted a high res pic of them back in July. I have one installed on the Mazda now and one still in a plastic bag (since they are sold without a box).

Exactly ... so even engines that use a filter that does have an ADBV can suffer from either: 1) Engine components that rattle because of hydraulic leak down or other parts clearance issues that are affected by oiling, and/or 2) a leaky ADBV that allows air into the oil galleries located after the oil filter. A positive displacement oil pump is going to ensure adequate oil flow at start-up, but it doesn't ensure how the oil moves out of the system when the engine is shut off.

And even on engines that use a filter without an ADBV, there's nothing to say or prove that the oil galleries can't leak oil out of them when they are shut off, thereby causing some start-up noise.

We are on the same page for once.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Some on this forum analyze things too far, life is too short for worrying about oil filters.

cheers3.gif

That and even if you maintain the car religiously, someone could T-bone you at a stop light tomorrow.

That or if you go to a dealer then you'll learn the real value of a vehicle and not the sentimental one
laugh.gif

I came across this all the time when I worked auto claims. People would spend thousands maintaining a car, but at the end of the day insurance will only give you what a comparable vehicle is worth (same model, year, options, etc).

We are on the same page for once.
cheers3.gif

Could be, but do you agree that if an engine uses a filter with an ADBV, and it's making noises on cold start-ups, that a leaking ADBV is the first thing to suspect ... not the assumed bad flow resistance of the filter because of its high efficiency like I had originally addressed. That was my main point in the discussion.
cheers3.gif

cheers3.gif

lol.gif

Ain't that the truth, you would think it was rocket science.
NAPA/Wix and Pennzoil, nuff said.

cheers3.gif

Mods ... Please delete the Engine Oil Filter forum.
grin2.gif

And create an Anecdotal Evidence forum. It would be the biggest forum on BITOG.

Last edited:
You've reached the I've see all of of it and talked about all of it ten times that should be enough, so soon?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
You've reached the I've see all of of it and talked about all of it ten times that should be enough, so soon?

Please translate?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Farnsworth

Please translate?

"If people see the same things discussed all the time on BITOG, then maybe they've been here too long and it's time to go read some other chat board."
laugh.gif

I learn this many years ago . Same with oil . On my high performing super charger cars , I'm little picky . But for every day drive car , whatever easy to access is my first choice .

Originally Posted by Malo83

cheers3.gif

lol.gif

Ain't that the truth, you would think it was rocket science.
NAPA/Wix and Pennzoil, nuff said.

I maintain quite a few vehicles between my own cars, and cars for family/friends/neighbors. It comes down to what I can get for a good price without driving to 50 different stores. My time is money, and I now have a long commute that is mostly rural with very few parts stores around me. A year ago, I literally passed by a NAPA on my way home, so it made sense to stop there for deals. Now the cheapest for me has been Amazon Basics oil and filters bought online. If I need to go to walmart, I'll grab some oil for the mowers I service while I'm there.

Just because I'm done fussing, doesn't mean I'm done trying to get a good deal on a decent filter. What's the catch here. On paper this filter seems like a steal for $4. Is the efficiency rating crap or something?

[Linked Image]

You're over thinking it
grin2.gif
... just get it if the price is right. K&Ns are at least built pretty well. Besides, I thought efficiency was way down on the list anyway and cost was at the top for guys looking for inexpensive filters.
21.gif

Till I found this site I never realized there was such a fuss over oil and filters.

Surprised I logged 200K plus miles on my vehicles for 40 years. Amazing, guess I just got lucky 🤔🤔🤨🥴🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back