Is Mazda winning the SUV market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Of course the Elon bot had to step in.

lol, harsh..

Mazda SUVs are very competitive but they are not winning. Rav4 wins clearly by a large margin in total sales and will continue to crush it when the Prime plug in comes out.

Tesla will also do very well when the Model Y can be easily purchased. Stretching a budget from the 30s to the 40s for an EV SUV will happen. The gas savings can offset the payment increase to some extent.

Of course the Elon bot had to step in.

LOL!

Just waiting for the Mazda bot to join the party now.
smile.gif

Is Mazda winning the SUV market? 2019 sales:

Rav4 448,071
CR-V 384,168
Rogue 350,447
Equinox 346,048
Escape 241,388
Forester 180,179
CX-5 154,545
SantaFe 127,373
Tiguan 109,572
Terrain 101,470
Sportage 89,278
OutLander Sport 33,644
Eclipse Cross 19,661

I'd say that's a negative despite all the drooling.

What if you forget about sales figures and wipe the slate clean. Surely Honda and Toyota rely heavily on repeat customers and brand recognition. Mazda doesn't quite have that. From a mechanical and looks standpoint, I think Mazda is on the podium.

Good lord how is the Rogue 3rd on that list.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

Good lord how is the Rogue 3rd on that list.

Heavy discounts from Nissan combined with subprime lending is how they do it.

Why do people hate CVTs so much? I could understand it at first as the early versions weren't so great, but I would think they are much better now days. I drove a 2017 Corolla with a CVT and that thing was amazing to drive, and it was mainly because of the CVT...

OK if you toss out "the market" and ignore the fact that RAV4 outsells the Mazda product by nearly a 3-to-1 margin, what's left?

RAV4 Hybrid is 219 horsepower to the CX-5's 187 HP, despite the fact that over 5 years the RAV4 will save you $2,750 in gasoline costs. For the turbo engine the Mazda costs $3,250 more in gas.

The Mazda does not offer an engine choice per se, what it actually offers is a trim line choice, and the only 2 trims that include the turbocharged engine start at $35,000 and $37,000 respectively. If you do go that turbo route the Mazda now has 22 MPG city; the RAV4 is 41 MPG. The RAV4 Hybrid has a $35K trim available too but it includes standard equipment like completely automated parking including both steering, throttle and brake control. Mazda does not offer that level of technology as an option, not even in their $37K trim.

While I am not that familiar with the Mazda, aren't the CR-V and Rav4 interiors more roomy and bigger overall?
I chose the CR-V last year over the Rav4 primarily due to ride and interior spae.
I have not been in the Mazda for a couple of years; perhaps they are bigger now.

Originally Posted by Dave9
^ The sky comment is about the lunacy of misdirected notions.

Odds are, model y sales will decrease Tesla's other sales but ICE SUV sales % increase will be higher than the model y market total sales %.

In other words, people are buying more SUVs and any success by model Y is just a reflection of that despite being an EV. Being an EV is still going to cripple its sales.

OK. Clearly we are talking about 2 different things. You are talking about lunacy and I am talking about statistics.

I was dead set on a Honda Pilot after when our Van starts to go but now I'm not so sure.

There is also Honda Passport

Mazda figured out that they have to do something different to be successful. So, they offered product that is better to drive, nicer etc. than your regular appliance vehicle, but it is still affordable. They were always better driving products than competition from japan and Korea. Yes, they were Japan's Opel when it comes to rust, but they offered a lot of goodies compared to Toyota etc.
However, recently there is news that their car sales are getting hit big time, and considering size of the company, it can be problematic. Toyota or Honda can afford big slump in certain models, Mazda? Not so much.

Considering the market share for Mazda is very small, they are doing a great job.

Originally Posted by Trav
I would buy a Highlander before a Mazda anytime. Better engine and a nice solid well built body, rust through is not a real issue.

I am with you; I will wait another decade before accepting that Mazda has fixed the rust through. To be fair, I have come across too many Mazda 3 with premature body rust but not any Miata with corroded body. CX series is relatively young.

Last edited:
Some Toyotas are made by Mazda. That says a lot. I think Toyota bought a part of Mazda, not sure but there was something abut that on here.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Some Toyotas are made by Mazda. That says a lot. I think Toyota bought a part of Mazda, not sure but there was something abut that on here.

Yes, Toyota owns a chunk of Mazda now. It's been a few years.

Mazda CX-5 has 59.6 cubic feet of cargo space. Quite small for the compact SUV class. Even the subcompact Honda H-RV has 57.6 cubic feet.

Toyota RAV4 AWD has 69.8 cubic feet a large difference

I'll admit the new Rav4 is actually good looking. I haven't seen one in a while. At first glance though I thought it was a Subaru Crosstrek

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by wdn
Mazda CX-5 has 59.6 cubic feet of cargo space. Quite small for the compact SUV class. Even the subcompact Honda H-RV has 57.6 cubic feet.

Toyota RAV4 AWD has 69.8 cubic feet a large difference

That is where the new CX-X should appeal to buyers. More cargo room yet sized between the CX5 and CX9

They have done the same thing with the CX30 due to complaints that the CX3 was lacking cargo room.

I'll admit the new Rav4 is actually good looking. I haven't seen one in a while. At first glance though I thought it was a Subaru Crosstrek

[Linked Image]

It's a good seller. I see a lot of them already on the roads.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

Yes, Toyota owns a chunk of Mazda now. It's been a few years.

5%, correct?

We have been happy with our Mazda 6 with 2.5 turbo. Mazda designed the interior to feel nicer & more upscale than similar priced cars. The 2.5 NA engine is a bit weak for the car, but the 2.5T is just right. I much prefer it over the previous V6 offered (responding to a previous poster comments).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back