Purolator Boss PBL14615 filter after 12,295 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purolator PBL14615 ran for 2 OC's hence the 12,295 miles.

Nothing unusual noticed in the reveal. Base plate and o ring, ADV, and bypass valve in good shape as is the filter medium.

IMG_20200108_145436.jpg

IMG_20200108_145910.jpg

IMG_20200108_145916.jpg

IMG_20200108_150324.jpg

IMG_20200108_150331.jpg

IMG_20200108_150327.jpg

IMG_20200108_150117.jpg

IMG_20200108_150509.jpg

Yep, it does look good. I've got one going on my old Chevy pickup truck soon. It'll be fine.

I agree, it looks good at a substantial ~12k mi. oci. This might be first PBL14615 'I' remember' being posted. Had to do a little research on this one. This the Subaru version of 14612/6607, higher bypass spec.

Thanks for c&p.

I had a Puro Boss on my wife's Taurus and was looking forward to discecting it as well. But she wrecked the car a few weeks ago (wife fine; car totaled).
Now I have to live vicariously through this thread!
grin.gif

This filer is a good looking unit; seems decent and robust. (At least no torn media).

I must confess I'm at times overwhelmed by all the data on filters; what is the claimed efficiency of the Boss series?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
This the Subaru version of 14612/6607, higher bypass spec.

Would this be the equivalent of the size XG7317?

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Originally Posted by Sayjac
This the Subaru version of 14612/6607, higher bypass spec.

Would this be the equivalent of the size XG7317?
According to Puro catalog, as noted more the equivalent of the shorter 6607/14612 size. 7317 size ~1/2" longer.

The PBL14615 has a bypass rating of 20 to 30 psi (quite a wide range, but it is at least 20 at the lower end). The Fram 6607 and 7317 are rated at 13 psi. We have used the Purolator boss PBL14615 on our 17 Sub OB and liked it. Now I have to work through the stash of excellent Mahle OC1177 filters prior to moving to something else, if we do. Thanks for the C&P. The filter looks great.

Originally Posted by OS4A
Few more pics of the Purolator PBL 14615
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Your pictures are way better than mine
grin2.gif

Thank you for c&p. What went back in and on? Thank You again

Originally Posted by dnewton3
I had a Puro Boss on my wife's Taurus and was looking forward to discecting it as well. But she wrecked the car a few weeks ago (wife fine; car totaled).
grin.gif

This filer is a good looking unit; seems decent and robust. (At least no torn media).

I must confess I'm at times overwhelmed by all the data on filters; what is the claimed efficiency of the Boss series?

When I called Purolator in May 2016 they said the Boss was 99% @ 40u.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...he-purolator-response-office#Post4090512

Now Purolator's website shows 99+% at 25u. So maybe they improved the media? See footnote at bottom of the page.
https://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/oil-filters/oil-filter-selection-guide/

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by dnewton3
grin.gif

When I called Purolator in May 2016 they said the Boss was 99% @ 40u.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...he-purolator-response-office#Post4090512

Now Purolator's website shows 99+% at 25u. So maybe they improved the media? See footnote at bottom of the page.
https://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/oil-filters/oil-filter-selection-guide/

Well what ever they did it lower than the new than the new Purolator One with the blue can. But it gives you some extra miles on you OCI but at twice the cost. My car is never going to see 10K miles on one filter and I don't wash my clothes in dirty water.

Looking at a cut-open filter doesn't do much for me.

These Purolator Boss filters are "good" no doubt, but not as "good" as the PureOne filters (for me).

So if the specs below are true (I don't believe the 99.9% eff. claim), the PureOne does a better job
of filtering (20 micron) but does not hold as many grams of dirt as the Boss. So, I'll change my oil a little more
often thanks, and use the PureOne.

PUROLATOR: (from OilFilterData.com)
BOSS
Model: PSL14459 (Syn., 15K mi.)
Brand: Purolator Synthetic
Thread: M20x1.5
ADB Valve:Yes Bypass Valve:12-15

Efficiency: 99% @ 25µ

Burst PSI:
Height:2.95" Diameter:3.15"
Displacement: 22.99 in³

PUREONE
Model: PL14459 PureOne
Brand: Purolator
Thread: M20x1.5
ADB Valve: Yes
Bypass Valve: 12-15

Efficiency: 99.9% @ 20µ

Burst PSI:
Height:2.95" Diameter:3.15"
Displacement: 22.99 in³

53 Stude

I put another Purolator PBL 14615 on the Subaru for another go. See no reason not too. Having examined the media n pleats...looked good to go for a third OC.

I see no reason not to run a extended performance filter for 12-15k. They are built for extended OCI's whether from Fram/Mobil/Purolator etc Works out to $5.50 per OC in my case.

I run Rotella 5w-30 multi-vehicle in the Subaru if that's what you are asking.

Littleant

That's from the cutting wheel on the tool. I have a tendency to tighten too much to quick rather than let the wheel do the work. If you look real close you'll see a few more...lol

Good eye.

Johnny Johnson

It was difficult for me to adjust to the new technologies. I started out changing oil on my parents new 1970 AMC Hornet which had like a 4 or 5 month OCI requirement if I remember correctly.

I run 6k OCI's on the Subaru so a jobber or mid tier filter would be great if I changed filters every time. I have a Bosch 3974 on the shelf for a one OC filter change if needed.

I have no problem running 2 OCI's using a filter designed for extended performance/mileage whether it's a Fram or Mobil or Purolator etc.

I trust the science is what it boils down to.

Whatever works. No harm no foul either way.

Familiar with Entiat? Lived n worked on the "dry side" for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back