I think I'm done fussing over filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already run whatever brand oil I find on sale or have a stockpile of because of rebates, why not filters too? My highway mileage has gone from 50% to about 10% since a role change at work so I've shortened my OCI to 6K mi max. My van is also about 6K but not sure if it goes longer from the Honda percentage algorithm. Last year while on vacation in North Carolina, I grabbed a couple 6607 Fram Core's for $1.90 each from a large box. I wish I would have bought the whole box. All I ever see on these forums is people cutting open paper endcap filters and they are perfectly fine. I think it's going to be supertech's, ACdelco's, Bosch, and Motorcrafts for me from now on.

Last edited:
I don't worry too much about oil filters or their efficiency as long as the element remains in one piece, I don't want bits going into the oil galley. I do worry about the air filter, keeping the housing tight and properly sealed and the PCV system sealed and in good working order, that is where the dirt ingress occurs,

The reality is with modern technology most name brand API certified conventional oils and most filters will be perfectly fine for 5-6k mile intervals. The average car on the road sees much much worse maintenance and is just fine. A friend works at an oil change quick lube as a manager. He says every day they open drain plugs where nothing comes out. Most of these cars he has no idea how they are still running, yet they keep coming back.

The reality is, pick a oil filter and be done with it.

Some on this forum analyze things too far, life is too short for worrying about oil filters.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

Some on this forum analyze things too far, life is too short for worrying about oil filters.

cheers3.gif

That and even if you maintain the car religiously, someone could T-bone you at a stop light tomorrow.

Go with what you are comfortable with. As others have said many of us get OCD when it comes to filters (I might be included but that's ok).

Originally Posted by brages
What are doing on an oil filter forum if you don't want to talk about oil filters?

What guy doesn't like to talk cars and parts? This is way more than just an "oil" forum. Tools, cars, electronics, etc.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

cheers3.gif

Mods ... Please delete the Engine Oil Filter forum.
grin2.gif

Got cold startup ticks and rattles? Swap that expensive high efficiency oil filter out with a basic filter.

You're welcome....

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Got cold startup ticks and rattles? Swap that expensive high efficiency oil filter out with a basic filter.

You're welcome....

He never indicated he had "cold startup ticks and rattles", where did you get that idea?

And he's running Fram COR6607 filters, you have anything that shows these are flow restrictive? I also don't think that $1.90 qualifies as "expensive."

You're welcome....

No real correlation. If someone gets cold start-up noise it's a leaky ADBV, not because of the filter efficiency. Besides, the positive displacement oil pump ensures proper flow.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I grabbed a couple 6607 Fram Core's for $1.90 each from a large box. I wish I would have bought the whole box. All I ever see on these forums is people cutting open paper endcap filters and they are perfectly fine.

The Fram COR6607 has metal end caps, doesn't it?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

You're welcome....

No real correlation. If someone gets cold start-up noise it's a leaky ADBV, not because of the filter efficiency. Besides, the positive displacement oil pump ensures proper flow.

I brushed off high efficiency filters as a cause too at first. But one day I decided to hot swap a Fram Ultra with a ACDelco and "piston slap" was gone in the 6.0 LQ9. Has never returned. Eliminated vvt rattle in my 02 Camry switching to a regular EG. The Classic in my sig sounds better at startup too. Worth a try for those that cringe at startup.

You're welcome...

Uh huh ...

The 95 % of oil filters with a built in by-pass valve, which OPENS when the oil is cold and thick, guaranteeing adequate flow, think otherwise.

Like ZeeOSix stated, the anti-drain back valve is likely the issue on any filter not mounted base end up. The anti drain back " valve ... " is a simple piece of rubber that seems unlikely to ever seal 100 % . Some fit better than others ...

You're welcome....

Explain the cold startup noise on engines with no ADBV?

Originally Posted by Trav

You're welcome....

Explain the cold startup noise on engines with no ADBV?

Exactly what engines are you taking about? And you have links showing those specific engines are making cold start-up noises?

Originally Posted by kschachn

You're welcome....

He never indicated he had "cold startup ticks and rattles", where did you get that idea?

And he's running Fram COR6607 filters, you have anything that shows these are flow restrictive? I also don't think that $1.90 qualifies as "expensive."

He said he's done fussing over filters. So am I, and i gave a reason why. That is all.

Originally Posted by geeman789

You're welcome...

Uh huh ...

The 95 % of oil filters with a built in by-pass valve, which OPENS when the oil is cold and thick, guaranteeing adequate flow, think otherwise.

Like ZeeOSix stated, the anti-drain back valve is likely the issue on any filter not mounted base end up. The anti drain back " valve ... " is a simple piece of rubber that seems unlikely to ever seal 100 % . Some fit better than others ...

Ok, so its not high efficiency media slowing down oil flow at startup. The ACDelco and TG ADBV and or bypass works better than the Ultra and the M110 in the applications I mentioned. Either way, I'm glad the startup noise is gone.

I'm done fussing with fancy filters..
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back