Is Mazda winning the SUV market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought of the CR-V/Pilot and the RAV-4/Highlander as the "can't go wrong" SUV's but it seems Mazda has been challenging this lately. Seems like Mazda really nailed it with the Skyactiv engines and they were smart to stay away from turbo's and CVT tranny's. On top of all the smart mechanical moves, they are really gorgeous vehicles, CX5-7-9, Mazda 6, etc.

I was dead set on a Honda Pilot after when our Van starts to go but now I'm not so sure.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
they were smart to stay away from turbo's

They have turbo engines available.

In the CX-9, turbo is the only engine option available.

I would certainly look at Mazdas if I were SUV shopping right now, but I am also eagerly anticipating the Toyota RAV4 Prime hybrid vehicle.
It sounds like a winner, but the proof is in the pudding (possibly green tea flavored for this maker) as they say....

They are indeed doing very well especially with the CX5. The new CX30 and the soon to come CX-X to be assembled in Alabama hopefully will increase their sales.

With all that said, the reality is that Toyota and Honda sell way more vehicles than Mazda could even dream of. It will be interesting to see how the Mazda-Toyota alliance works out in the future. Toyota is already benefiting from Mazda SkyActiv engineering for example.

I would buy a Highlander before a Mazda anytime. Better engine and a nice solid well built body, rust through is not a real issue.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
they were smart to stay away from turbo's

They have turbo engines available.

In the CX-9, turbo is the only engine option available.

Too bad a standard V6 would have been a better choice in my opinion.

No. Toyota is winning in the SUV market with the RAV4 Hybrid. It is only $1,000 more than the gasoline model, has better performance, more power and gets an additional 10 MPG.

Mazda is winning?!? Mazda is a niche company that sells a few cars; meanwhile, RAV4 has been sold nearly 500K units in 2019 alone

Mazda was my go to car but they seem to be moving into a wanna be premium market and thus eliminating what i liked about them.

People seem to love their Mazdas. But I am not sure they are winning vs Honda or Toyota.
In a few months the Tesla Model Y will be released to production and is sure to steal market share from all the biggies.

For compact SUV/Honda skeptic shoppers, wait for the CRV Hybrid: no direct injection, no CVT, drivetrain proven in the Accord for a couple years, great fuel economy and MSRP uptick of only $1,500 or so (at least once initial demand is fulfilled).

Okay, I was wrong about the Turbo's. I guess that makes sense on how a 2.5L can handle an 8 passenger vehicle.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Of course the Elon bot had to step in.

Do you disagree with my statement about the Model Y?
It is a forecast, shared by many.

I'm sorry you have to call me a bot for sharing an opinion.
I just happen to follow several markets as I do predictive analytics for a living for a major security company here in Silicon Valley.
I have been doing this type of work for about 23 years...
Forecasting is everything in business; the business that forecasts better will win.

Last edited:
Nobody knows what the fuel economy will be in the CR-V hybrid, which is not on the market yet. No MSRP has been set either.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

So is "the sky is falling", every year it's supposed to happen, but hasn't for thousands of years.

There's also a segment of society that buys coffee beans that pass through a monkey's **** (digestive system) but I don't think sane people buy that either, and yet Kopi luwak must have taken some small share from NMB (non-monkeybean) coffee sales.

My new forecast: Model Y will take a far higher % sales away from Tesla's other model sales than from ICE SUVs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

So is "the sky is falling", every year it's supposed to happen, but hasn't for thousands of years.

There's also a segment of society that buys coffee beans that pass through a monkey's **** (digestive system) but I don't think sane people buy that either.

My new forecast: Model Y will take a far higher % sales away from Tesla's other model sales than from ICE SUVs.

I agree the Model Y will take sales away from the Model 3. As well as other SUVs and cars in general. It already has.
I guess I don't follow your sky comment. The forecasting I am talking about is market forecast at a business sector level.
Executives use forecasts to make business decisions.

^ The sky comment is about the lunacy of misdirected notions.

Odds are, model y sales will decrease Tesla's other sales but ICE SUV sales % increase will be higher than the model y market total sales %.

In other words, people are buying more SUVs and any success by model Y is just a reflection of that despite being an EV. Being an EV is still going to cripple its sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back