Yellowstone Park vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are thinking of visiting Yellowstone Park and the surrounding areas this summer. We have obviously never have been and I don't have a clue about planning a trip like this. Any advice on where to go, what to see, where to stay?

My only advice is to have patience dealing with the crowds. Oh, and don't get too close to Bison. They are wild animals and are much faster and stronger than us, and can ruin your day. Permanently.

Yellowstone is great. But IMO, if you want great views, head North up to Glacier National Park in Montana as well. Not all that far away. The full park opens in late July I think, I didn't get to see it all. Went to both in June 2017.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yellowstone is certainly worth seeing, it's a beautiful park. It's also as famous internationally as Yosemite so the summer is crowded, very crowded. Grand Tetons is in close proximity and equally beautiful but not as well known so you might want to spend the weekend days there and do Yellowstone midweek. If you can go on the bookends of the season you avoid much of the crowd and still catch access to park facilities, good weather, and wildlife viewing. May to June and mid Sept to Nov 1 are my favorites. The lodges located in the park book early especially for summer and the weekends but are worth staying in and many have quality dining options on site as well. Don't get too close to the animals, If one is sick or being eaten by a bear just hum that song from The Lion King and keep driving and be happy our species technology has granted us a spot on top of the food-chain (well for now anyways). Old Faithful is equally impressive at twilight, and bison often gather there at that time. For alternate prime summer season spots with services but without the crowds I would suggest North Cascades Natl Park or the Blue Mountains in east Oregon or Nez Pierce Natl Forest in Idaho or LoLo Natl forest in Montana and Idaho.

I like the north side better than the west due to my preference for bison watching over geyser watching. Watch out for traffic, and don't expect to drive fast. Parking is a headache, but we had a great time.

Hotel is expensive though, so keep looking out for the deals starting now.

I have been. We stayed in the park with our trailer at Grant Village Campground.
Beautiful park, but I really liked the Grand Tetons better.

It is crowded, which was fine but there is tons to see. We really liked it.
It is worth the trip but if you want to got this summer make sure everything isn't already booked.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

View from our campground and the campsite.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We were not close, just had a good zoom.
[Linked Image]

Years ago when there was a large spike in gas prices, we took in those western parks and it was great as that summer most folks stayed home. Otherwise, as has been said, it's a crush of people. We would avoid summers now, but for those with kids in school, there's little choice. One year we stayed in Jackson for a few days in winter. A sleigh ride through the elk herd in the valley was interesting and different.

Originally Posted by mbacfp
Following...planning trip soon as well. In motorhome though.

Great place to visit!

Strongly suggest considering renting an RV. The place is HUGE with very limited facilities spaced far apart.

It is about 1/10th the size of Indiana with about 10 places with food or lodging.

If you are planning to stay in a hotel in the park, they typically sell out a year in advance.
You may be able to snag a room from a cancellation but you'll have to watch the website every day to see if something pops up.

Here is the only place you can make hotel reservations inside Yellowstone.

I was able to do this about 5 years ago but I had to split my stay between Old Faithful Inn and the Lake Hotel.
Not bad if you don't mind moving around but PITA if you don't.

I would definitely suggest the Old Faithful Inn as the best place to stay. Yes, the crowds are big, but there's no feeling like stepping out of your room I. The morning with a cup of coffee in your hand and quietly watching Old Faithful erupt.
It's one of the highlights of my life.

Our favorites were Old Faithful, grand canyon of Yellowstone and don't forget Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole just south of the park. You could easily spend a week based out of Jackson Hole and a week in the park. Hotels are much more available outside the park also.

Keep clear if the bison, they will kill you and/or wreck your car if they charge.

Good luck, it's an amazing place!!!

Last edited:
If you stay inside the park, it is faster to get in and get out, I stayed in jackson hole and drove daily out and stayed in still late.
Food is VERY good in yellowstone, I was surprised and priced very reasonably. Old Failthful, south of the lake the restaurant has brunch buffet and WIFI.

If you go, please take wakie takies, as cell signal is horrible.
I would stick to the main attractions and focus on certain parts for this trip and then do another on a different trip.

If you are hitting the south side or west side of the park, stay in jackson or west side,

Yeah don't pet the bison and stay in your vehicle when they're around.

The drive from Billings through Red Lodge is stunning and goes to the East gate of the park.

If you have the time you could pop up to Great Falls, there's a very good Lewis and Clarke museum, the world's shortest river and some good history.

1.) Try not go faster than 5mph over the limit. NPS law enforcement does not play around and they know where to sit. But like PandaBear said, don't expect to drive very fast either. Too many people slow down and cause a traffic jam behind them just to take a picture. Use a pull-out shoulder if you want to stop and take pictures.

2.) To beat the crowds wake up early and get to your destination early. Yellowstone is one of the most visited National Parks in the US. The Grand Tetons aren't as popular, but the smaller size, 2 lane roads, and proximity to Yellowstone means it can feel just as busy.

3.) Bring bug spray, the mosquitoes and other biting insects are big and numerous enough to carry you away. I spray my hiking clothes and gear in Sawyer Permethrin Insect Spray before I leave for a trip. They also have one where you soak your clothes so the Permethrin lasts longer.

4.) Stay away from wildlife and do not feed them either. Ignoring both will get you a hefty fine.

5.) Know what to do if you come across different types of bears.

6.) Be a traveler, not a tourist. Tourists suck; they're loud and have no respect for anything.

7.) Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but foot prints.

8.) Check out the Beartooth Mountains while you're out there. A lot less people but a lot more camping options.

Also remember you are at like 8000 feet. I went to do my morning run and I was like "What is wrong with me?" So if you plan on hiking or doing a lot of walking. Don't just hop off the couch and go.
Maybe start walking or running the a month or two before you go.

We entered the west side as we were coming from Washington state and went through the town of Ennis. Neat little place.

We went home on 89 through Gardiner which is north. It was a beautiful ride out and easier on the truck as it was relatively flat.

Nothin like towing 6500lbs plus all your gear with an 89 GMC 1 ton 454 3 speed and 4.10's 60 mph is 3100 RPM.
smile.gif
I was getting 194 miles to a tank which was like 34 or 36 gallons.

We really enjoyed. If you plan on camping make sure you can lock our food up tight. When I was there a bear opened a trailer like a tin in order to get at the food some people left out.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
I have been. We stayed in the park with our trailer at Grant Village Campground.
Beautiful park, but I really liked the Grand Tetons better.

Do they allow tent camping there? Any good spots in/around the park for tent camping??

If you're coming from the east and hitting Yellowstone/Tetons, head south through Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills. Lots of people hit Rushmore and Crazy Horse on their way to Yellowstone and just drive by Spearfish Canyon. FWIW Frank Lloyd Wright wanted to make it a national park. Turn south at Spearfish, easy peasy.

Don't know if there's any glaciers left in Glacier but the Going to the Sun Highway is well worth it. I drove it on the day it opened, first day of summer and forgot that a late sunset doesn't apply when the sun goes behind the mountains. Terrifying. Of course once you should hit that you should keep going to Waterton, Banff, Jasper, etc.

There's a book out there that details dozens of ways people have died in Yellowstone. Hilarious but troubling. Don't stick your head into Old Faithful wondering what's going on in there.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Yellowstone is great. But IMO, if you want great views, head North up to Glacier National Park in Montana as well. Not all that far away. The full park opens in late July I think, I didn't get to see it all. Went to both in June 2017.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Brag-alert here: I drove from Ohio out west in August 2018, and managed to hit the Badlands NP/Glacier/Tetons/Yellowstone/Jackson Hole all on the same trip.
Glacier is the MOST beautiful place I've ever seen.

OP, try to get to Yellowstone when the kids are in school, late August. It will still be busy but I'd imagine less so. Buy the best phone you can afford for great pics, or if you own a good camera, even better. DO NOT get off the boardwalks. Be sure to make the hike up to the viewing area to look down on Prismatic basin. IMO, Old Faithful is less cool than some of the other geyers in the park.
Be prepared to smell sulfur ALL DAY LONG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back