Dent on oil filter

I bought this oil filter and then I noticed it has this dent on it. The dent is about half a cm wide and maybe 0.5 mm deep.

The filter is a PBL25288

Is it still okay to use?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
I don't know how difficult to return and how much it's bothering you. Obviously enough that you want some opinions. With the description also provided, doesn't look bad ie., I'd use it. As long as you shake the can and don't hear anything, everything tight, I think it's ok to use.

If you can't return it, use it. I've used filters like that over the years w/o any problems. I cut one or two open after changing the oil and found them to be fine internally.

Well, I wouldn't use it as it is not an OEM. Tongue in cheek grinning.
grin2.gif

Regarding the dent, I wouldn't think twice about it. I've probably dented filters that much putting them on. LOL

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
Well, I wouldn't use it as it is not an OEM. Tongue in cheek grinning.
grin2.gif

Regarding the dent, I wouldn't think twice about it. I've probably dented filters that much putting them on. LOL

I agree with using an OEM filter, but the OEM filter for this engine is a PF61E; the E core filters. I had trouble with the E core on my old 1999 Deville. It caused the oil pressure light to flicker at idle.

I had 0 trouble with the original PF-61 filter, but I cant buy it in stores anymore. I do have an extra one lying around somewhere, but I also can't find it.

So I just had my oil changed a few days ago. I ran the filter for a 5K service interval and there were no leaks or failures.

The first month after I had the filter, I checked to see if the dent was still there and it was.

However, I didn't have time to see if the filter was still dented before I changed the oil. Mine gets changed at a shop and I didn't take the old filter back.

Use it. A 0.5 mm deep dent? That's nothing not will it affect function is any way. It will be fine. And no,it won't pop out as some others have thought, the dent is there for the duration.

That filter is not ok to use even without the dent :LOL:.

But with that small of a dent, i would not worry. a creased dent, i would toss it.

Back