Heritage .22 Revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I looked at this very model at the local gun store (first photo). Thought it looked pretty cool, and looked better in person than in the photo. It's got an acid etched aluminum frame to simulate "cold hardened" steal. Some might find it cheesy, but I actually liked it. Yeah, I know it's an inexpensive revolver, but I actually liked the feel and the trigger better on the Heritage than I did on the Ruger Wrangler. And the Wrangler doesn't come with an exchangeable cylinder for .22 Magnum like the Heritage. I also like the Heritage 9-shot with .22 Mag cylinder - black frame (2nd photo). Both cost $170~175. Always wanted a .22 revolver (have plenty of .22 semi-autos) so will probably go for the 9-shot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got this heritage arms revolver for Christmas.

It's the Betsy Ross edition 16 inch barrel.

Serial number starts with 1776-.

It's fun to shoot. .22lr 6 shot, or I can buy a .22wmr cylinder.

IMG_20200108_221810119.jpg

IMG_20200108_221848936.jpg

IMG_20200108_221817933.jpg

I have the 6 shot with both 22 LR and 22 MAG cylinders. I picked it up for taking to the range with my daughter and she really enjoys it. I wouldn't mind picking up a matching one in 45 Colt.

Originally Posted by spasm3

If you ran out of ammo you could club the bad guy from across the street with that!

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
It's got an acid etched aluminum frame to simulate "cold hardened" steal.
That's case hardening you are thinking of.

Yes, you are correct ... thanks for correcting.

That 16 inch barrel is outrageous, but I like it.
grin2.gif

Here's a video of guys shooting the Rough Rider. Frame isn't really "pot metal", but an aluminum alloy (same for the Wrangle) adequate to handle .22 Mag. Seems pretty accurate, but some say it's not super accurate. These guys are hitting liter bottles pretty far away ... seems adequate enough for plinking.

I bought my son a heritage and gave it to him for Christmas a year ago. They are a good little gun for the money and should last a long time. I personally like the regular gun instead of the acid etched one in your first picture. I never seen the Betsy Ross edition and it is very cool.

When I got married I bought 6 of the Heritage .22's for my groomsmen as gifts on one of the $99 specials and I went and shot them all prior to giving them to them so they could have 'test targets'. Out of the 6, 2 of them had noticeable play in the cylinder when cocked and various degrees of foward/aft play in the cylinders on all of them. On the two you had to cock them with authority to get them to index properly. A gentle cock would let you fire without the cylinder fully indexed and they would shave lead.. That said all functioned and were fairly accurate. My assessment was for $99 they were pretty neat, If I was paying close to $200 I'd get the Ruger wrangler, and compared to a real single-six they are pretty much junk.

Some revolvers that are able to shoot both .22 LR and .22 WMR aren't that accurate with the .22 LR. A thousandth one way or another in the barrel makes all the difference.

I guess I got lucky with my Single Six, it's very accurate with .22 LR.

This looks like a great value in a .22. Aluminum is plenty strong for a .22 LR, even for a .22 MAgnum.

At this price point, you simply can't beat this revolver. It's nice looking, appears to be well-made, and a real bargain.

Last edited:
i have the same 9 shot, 4.5", 22wmr/lr, heritage roughrider, as well as a ruger wrangler, single six and bearcat. yes i enjoy single action rimfire revolvers. the hrr felt perfectly ok until i got the wrangler, which i shoot more, despite its 3 fewer 22lr only rounds. if you can physically inspect the roughrider, and are sure that you will be "one and done" with getting 22 plinkers, then the roughrider is fine. note that its alloy barrel heats up quickly, and its screws become loose, when burning through 22wmr. i would only buy a new roughrider but used rugers, because they are so stoutly built, are reliable values. i am not second guessing the purchase of a new 9 shot, 22wmr/lr roughrider for $200 or a $120 6 shot 22lr only. 9 shots are uncommon and you will certainly enjoy it. knowing both the roughrider and wrangler, for $200 i would get the wrangler, but that is me. as a weekend fun plinker a roughrider is fine. if i were getting just one 22 as a tool to carry out into the wildnerness i would get a ruger.

I bought one-albeit with the standard blue finish/wood grips, several years ago.

I've never had any reason to complain about accuracy from it using 22LR, and it's often the first handgun that I put in the hands of many first time shooters(they have to get use to that before they get to "graduate" to something more powerful).

I've only used the 22 Mag cylinder once, as in my mind if I need something more powerful than a 22LR I'd rather a larger caliber. Still, though I have it sitting next to the gun

Originally Posted by jstert
if you can physically inspect the roughrider, and are sure that you will be "one and done" with getting 22 plinkers, then the roughrider is fine. note that its alloy barrel heats up quickly, and its screws become loose, when burning through 22wmr.

Yes, I would be able to inspect one before purchase. I never buy a firearm without a thorough inspecton. I'll even inspect the rifling with a bore light. I'm familiar with revolvers (have 38/357 Mag), and would be checking cylinder play and lock-up, and would do cylinder swap and check both. Guys at gun stores hate me because of how much I inspect, lol.

BTW, the barrel on the Rough Rider is 1215 steel, not alumunum alloy. Just the frame is aluminum alloy.

S&W Model 18 Combat Masterpiece circa. 1972 with box,unopened toolkit and manual/parts list.Less than 500 rounds fired. At home in sheepskin lined case since new. Going to hold it and hug it and never let it go. And guess what? Haven't found a family member that wants it.

I bought a Rough Rider over ten years ago. 6.5" barrel with the 22lr and 22mag cylinders. I think it was like $150 or $160. Money well spent for a single action plinker. It's a solid little revolver and I have no complaints. Still looks like new after all these years. I shoot 22mag out of it almost exclusively.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Some revolvers that are able to shoot both .22 LR and .22 WMR aren't that accurate with the .22 LR. A thousandth one way or another in the barrel makes all the difference.

I guess I got lucky with my Single Six, it's very accurate with .22 LR.

This looks like a great value in a .22. Aluminum is plenty strong for a .22 LR, even for a .22 MAgnum.

At this price point, you simply can't beat this revolver. It's nice looking, appears to be well-made, and a real bargain.

Mine shoots high and right. At this price point it's just a nice cheap gun.

I really just bought mine for the novelty of it, not so much for accuracy.
I will probably buy a second Betsy Ross 16 inch and mount them on the corners of the door frame of my manroom.

Last edited:
Mine shoots high and right. At this price point it's just a nice cheap gun.

I will probably buy a second Betsy Ross 16 inch and mount them on the corners of the door frame of my manroom.

Mount a scope on that 16" Betsy Ross ...
grin2.gif

Scope may outcost the revolver.Its a fun cheap novelty piece. Very much like the recent video of Colion Noir with the Ruger 454 Casull just not cheap! His narrative was fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back