facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just google and facebook, VERIZON is known to sell their LTE data you use on your phone.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
It's not just google and facebook, VERIZON is known to sell their LTE data you use on your phone.

yup and chances are ATT Sprint and TMobile do the same...

only way around that would be a VPN, its really unbelievable but you look at some responses here, people just dont care about their privacy, until one day, when it is weaponized against them, they will will cry to their elected officials like little babies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

yup and chances are ATT Sprint and TMobile do the same...

only way around that would be a VPN, its really unbelievable but you look at some responses here, people just dont care about their privacy, until one day, when it is weaponized against them, they will will cry to their elected officials like little babies.

OR use the epic browser - the only thing they would have is a connection to the epic proxy server.

Even VPN's aren't 100% anonymous. That questionable online content you're looking at that you think is safe from prying eyes simply because you signed up for a VPN service...ha!..fat chance. While your ISP might not be able to see what's encrypted, even so called "no log" VPN's keep logs of some kind and can be accessed w/a warrant..don't believe me?.. research it - see for yourself. People have been surprised by cops showing up at their door, they thought they were anonymously surfing how to build an IED or kiddie pirn cuzz they used a VPN. If the govt wants to know something about you there's not a [censored] thing you can do to stop them aside from going off grid like the Unabomber did...but even he effed up and got caught. The NSA "owns" the internet.. there's not a data stream in the world they can't access.

And if you think YT or FB's bad about harvesting your info, you should see what your credit/bank card issuer collects on ya. ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Even VPN's aren't 100% anonymous. That questionable online content you're looking at that you think is safe from prying eyes simply because you signed up for a VPN service...ha!..fat chance. While your ISP might not be able to see what's encrypted, even so called "no log" VPN's keep logs of some kind and can be accessed w/a warrant..don't believe me?.. research it - see for yourself. People have been surprised by cops showing up at their door, they thought they were anonymously surfing how to build an IED or kiddie pirn cuzz they used a VPN. If the govt wants to know something about you there's not a [censored] thing you can do to stop them aside from going off grid like the Unabomber did...but even he effed up and got caught. The NSA "owns" the internet.. there's not a data stream in the world they can't access.

And if you think YT or FB's bad about harvesting your info, you should see what your credit/bank card issuer collects on ya. ...

Yup, if you think using a VPN makes you truly anonymous the only one being fooled is you. All you are moving is the egress point of your traffic from your workstation to a remote server. That can be, and is, logged, as is the originator of the tunnel.

About the only way around this, which isn't a practical solution for most, so I'm not saying this for advocacy, is VPN setup through a software server or appliance (virtual) on an established system in a network where there isn't knowledge of its existence and with all logging turned off which then tunnels to another proxy or VPN service outside that network. You are then creating an anonymous hop so that the traffic is only traceable to the network whose operator is unaware of the device/service in play. Ideally you'd have a few of these setup in the case of the VPN egress point being investigated and traced back to where the tunnel was believed to have originated (your anonymizer proxy). A few of these in series on low value networks with little or no oversight makes it almost impossible to trace.

It is always someone, back in the days it is the religions organizations then it is the schools, and then it is the news tycoon and your mailmen, and now it is the internet companies.

Nobody is really free unless you farm and never trade your harvest with others.

Even VPN's aren't 100% anonymous. That questionable online content you're looking at that you think is safe from prying eyes simply because you signed up for a VPN service...ha!..fat chance. While your ISP might not be able to see what's encrypted, even so called "no log" VPN's keep logs of some kind and can be accessed w/a warrant..don't believe me?.... ...

Questionable content?
Ummmm ... warrant for what???

Wow ./.// (just having fun here) but you dont think everyone who wants privacy and prevents major corporations from building data bases on themselves and their families are criminals do you?

Which goes back up a few posts to my other, it amazes me how so many Americans could care less that corporations use their personal data for profit. Ummm sorry but not me and I am not a criminal, heck, I along with many other Americans are among the most upstanding person on planet earth.

SO back to VPNs, you are wrong but that is ok, not all VPNs long data, but who the heck cares? I just dont want my data shared with corporations, simple, not with Spectrum, not with ATT, not with GOOGLE, not with anyone. Its called privacy, a god given right.
Using a VPN prevents Spectrum my internet provider from selling my data.

What the heck does this have to do with law enforcement? Nothing.
Gosh, darn, freaking amazing that some people think Privacy is criminal, gosh, one of the founding principles of this great country.
Just because you pay a company like Spectrum for internet service does not mean you have to lay down like a hooker and let them use you and your family for money.

:eek:)

Ps, overkill, you got it all wrong, using a VPN does prevent corporations from using your data, you know, like your internet provider?
the one company that knows everything about you and your family.
They do not and can not break the encryption, heck, might even be illegal.

(again, just having fun here)

Last edited:
Even VPN's aren't 100% anonymous. That questionable online content you're looking at that you think is safe from prying eyes simply because you signed up for a VPN service...ha!..fat chance. While your ISP might not be able to see what's encrypted, even so called "no log" VPN's keep logs of some kind and can be accessed w/a warrant..don't believe me?.... ...

Questionable content?
Ummmm ... warrant for what???

Wow ./.// (just having fun here) but you dont think everyone who wants privacy and prevents major corporations from building data bases on themselves and their families are criminals do you?

Which goes back up a few posts to my other, it amazes me how so many Americans could care less that corporations use their personal data for profit. Ummm sorry but not me and I am not a criminal, heck, I along with many other Americans are among the most upstanding person on planet earth.

SO back to VPNs, you are wrong but that is ok, not all VPNs long data, but who the heck cares? I just dont want my data shared with corporations, simple, not with Spectrum, not with ATT, not with GOOGLE, not with anyone. Its called privacy, a god given right.
Using a VPN prevents Spectrum my internet provider from selling my data.

What the heck does this have to do with law enforcement? Nothing.
Gosh, darn, freaking amazing that some people think Privacy is criminal, gosh, one of the founding principles of this great country.
Just because you pay a company like Spectrum for internet service does not mean you have to lay down like a hooker and let them use you and your family for money.

:eek:)

Ps, overkill, you got it all wrong, using a VPN does prevent corporations from using your data, you know, like your internet provider?

Agreed..not everyone using a VPN is a criminal (did I touch a nerve?🤔) but you can bet everyone who's a online criminal or using the net for illicit activity...is using a VPN, so my comment was hardly out of bounds. ...

You're funny..I said -> using a VPN doesn't guarantee anonymous as some log..then you say I'm "wrong".."not all VPN's log"...so I'm not "wrong" as you stated, you actually agree with me....‚

Fact is, some VPN's log and there is no law preventing them nor do they have to disclose to you they are. There is always, always a record of your online activity somewhere. While a VPN creates an encrypted tunnel it doesn't prevent websites from using tracking cookies (inside that tunnel) and data logging. The only one you've cut out of the loop is your ISP and even then your ISP has ways to log your online activity and later gather that data even if you use a VPN service. In other words, your ISP can "see" what proxy or VPN server you're using and share that info to law enforcement if compelled to do so.

You really should learn more about this topic before spouting off...use your Google machine, go on Reddit or similar forums and talk to people that do network security for a living. The only true, 100% way to stay anonymous on the internet and prevent your info from getting into the wrong hands...is to stay off the internet... otherwise your "security" is more shades of grey than B&W.

Last edited:

Using what data? Your ISP isn't pouring resources into decrypting Average Joe's web traffic, they can watch for specific services (ports) and DNS queries to track your activity if that's part of their operating model, but I find people can be overly paranoid about this, some ISP's truly don't care. There are people on this board who use Google's DNS servers, so if you want to talk about tracking? LOL!!! Using a 3rd party DNS provider like OpenDNS (if you don't mind Cisco knowing where you go) and layering it with an encryption mechanism (DNSCrypt for example) will remove that component from the watchful gaze of an ISP, if they are inclined to track DNS activity. They can still see sockets, but with literally thousands of those transactions taking place at any given time and that most of the traffic itself will be encrypted, they won't be trying unless there is reason to, so they won't be gleaning anything of value.

Your ISP has no reason to try and decrypt your traffic, whether it be standard SSL web traffic, DNS queries or VPN tunnels, only keep record of flag-worthy activity in case a LEO comes looking. On the other hand, what Mad_Hatter noted with respect to your browser and remote servers capturing information about you is quite accurate. If that level of divulgence is satisfactory to you, then that's fine, but my point was that folks that think they can do "anything" on the Internet because they are using a VPN and are thus untrackable are living in a fantasy.

Good points guys,
I was baffled by how the tracking tech defies my overt attempt to fool them or not be tracked.

I give my iphone to my little one to browse kids videos while I use her pda to do my stuff.

What is obvious that for an average joe like me, clearing cookies and using different browsers or devices is a futile as they are using meta data to connect the dots and track me.

Clearing cookies and browsing history on a device that has facebook app installed is futile. Even a computer that is used for browsing facebook will have to have cookies enabled. Facebook simply monitors all activity. Get rid of it totally from a device and you will see a dramatic difference.

Regarding google, if you are signed in, you have to jump through many setting pages and turn off all sorts of tracking. If you're not signed in there is less to turn off.

When you do this and get rid of the facebook apps, you should see fewer adds and they will be random, not tailored to you.

Originally Posted by KrisZ

Regarding google, if you are signed in, you have to jump through many setting pages and turn off all sorts of tracking. If you're not signed in there is less to turn off.

Yeah platforms like Google and FB bury those settings deep and I'm sure it's by design. You can disable a lot of the activity tracking but there will always be some. And for the record I think anyone getting online should use a VPN or at least an anonymous proxy, it's an added layer of security..aside from the cost of a VPN.. there's no reason not to.

Yeah platforms like Google and FB bury those settings deep and I'm sure it's by design. You can disable a lot of the activity tracking but there will always be some. And for the record I think anyone getting online should use a VPN or at least an anonymous proxy, it's an added layer of security..aside from the cost of a VPN.. there's no reason not to.

I'm not saying turning off all the tracking options will make you anonymous on the web. But it will stop the ads or greatly limit them. I'm fully aware that google tracks all the activity regardless of settings.

I'm not saying turning off all the tracking options will make you anonymous on the web. But it will stop the ads or greatly limit them. I'm fully aware that google tracks all the activity regardless of settings.

No I get ya..I wasn't disagreeing, I was merely commenting on how (relatively) difficult they make it to find those settings..but once you know where they are, it's easy to go back in and turn things on/off. I know with some apps, like Map's, they work "better" so to speak with activity logging and tracking turned on. For example you'll get live traffic jam info that other Google users are inputting into Google and with tracking and logging enabled, Map's can show you points of interest, service stations, hotels etc nearby. There's a wealth of info at your fingertips so long as you're willing to "plug in".

Last edited:
But it will stop the ads or greatly limit them. I'm fully aware that google tracks all the activity regardless of settings.

Limit? I am not sure about that at all. There'll be just as many adds peppering the web as before; but you might enjoy some limited success in ensuring they are not personalized to you based on the mountains of data about you that their bots have.

An excellent first step would be to install some privacy-friendly browser extensions like uBlock Origin (which is a script blocker; and ad placement is script-based) or Privacy Badger (https://www.eff.org/privacybadger, from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, who are pretty passionate about this stuff).

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
But it will stop the ads or greatly limit them. I'm fully aware that google tracks all the activity regardless of settings.

Limit? I am not sure about that at all. There'll be just as many adds peppering the web as before; but you might enjoy some limited success in ensuring they are not personalized to you based on the mountains of data about you that their bots have.

An excellent first step would be to install some privacy-friendly browser extensions like uBlock Origin (which is a script blocker; and ad placement is script-based) or Privacy Badger (https://www.eff.org/privacybadger, from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, who are pretty passionate about this stuff).

Well yes, on a computer browser they will not be limited, just random. That is why I have uBlock Origin on my browsers.

But on my Galaxy S8, I have no adds, except for the youtube app. And the google assistant is always silent and doesn't turn on by itself. Many people have reported seeing adds after talking about a product. I experienced none of that so far.

No I get ya..I wasn't disagreeing, I was merely commenting on how (relatively) difficult they make it to find those settings..but once you know where they are, it's easy to go back in and turn things on/off. I know with some apps, like Map's, they work "better" so to speak with activity logging and tracking turned on. For example you'll get live traffic jam info that other Google users are inputting into Google and with tracking and logging enabled, Map's can show you points of interest, service stations, hotels etc nearby. There's a wealth of info at your fingertips so long as you're willing to "plug in".

Yes, google limits functionality to entice people into allowing all of their tracking forms. Their assistant is the same way, it's quite limited if you turn off all the tracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back