6.0 powerstroke engine repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
It honestly isn't that bad to work on. Once you know here engines and their weak points they are easy to fix. Total time (including removing the cab and separating body wiring and hydraulic lines) to the pulling the cam and crankshaft wasn't probably about 10 hours maybe a little less.

Originally Posted by mattd
Originally Posted by Nick1994
What do you estimate between the engine replacement years ago, the tow into your shop the other month, and this service bill, what the owner will have spent in service/repairs?

Easily $15k.

You can probably get a running wrecked 2005 from a salvage auction for a few thou, why bother taking this engine apart to rebuild? Heck, I've seen beat up but good running examples at regular actions bring under $3,000.

I prefer the devil I know vs the devil I don't, especially with these engines.

Driver is very bad about bringing the truck in for service so it does not get The oil changed and whatnot as often as it should. This is a boom truck and the hour meter has been maxed out on it for several years (at least 4-5).

I managed a private fleet of 1400 similar DRW Fords, including quite a few 6.0 Liters (100s). We had a 6,000 mile oil change interval, and all our driver's were measured on their performance to bring the vehicle in for service on time. If the driver was late by a week, it escalated to their manager and if it wasn't brought in, it escalated to the manager's manager. It got done at that point and the managers discussed why they had to have the conversation in the first place.
Idling was controlled to max 3% of run time, as the engines didn't need to run PTOs.

I look at how the fleet manager runs their fleet and the driver's manager before I look at the driver being at fault.

......The oil changed as often as it should. This is a boom truck and the hour meter has been maxed out on it for several years (at least 4-5).

WOW! What's the max hours on the hourmeter?

I know of a little Kubota D905 on a marathon 6.5Kw generator head at a remote signals station that runs 24/7/365 at 1800 RPM. It has over 30,000 hours on it and never been apart.

Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
Just take it to www.powerstrokehelp.com they will bullet proof that thing !

?

That guy is an idiot And is obnoxious to listen to

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
......The oil changed as often as it should. This is a boom truck and the hour meter has been maxed out on it for several years (at least 4-5).

WOW! What's the max hours on the hourmeter?

I know of a little Kubota D905 on a marathon 6.5Kw generator head at a remote signals station that runs 24/7/365 at 1800 RPM. It has over 30,000 hours on it and never been apart.

These older power strokes max out at 10,000 hours

Yeah. Counter stops at 9999.9. 2008 and newer don't stop

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Nick1994
What do you estimate between the engine replacement years ago, the tow into your shop the other month, and this service bill, what the owner will have spent in service/repairs?

Easily $15k.

You can probably get a running wrecked 2005 from a salvage auction for a few thou, why bother taking this engine apart to rebuild? Heck, I've seen beat up but good running examples at regular actions bring under $3,000.

There's no such thing as a good used 6.0. Much better off having this one repaired by someone like the OP that knows how to fix them right.

The '04 PSD 6.0 I had in my work E-350 was fine-AFTER they replaced the EGR cooler, oil cooler, head gaskets, FICM, FIPS, 6 injectors (later), body off the frame fpr 2 months because Ford had a national backorder on the coolers. Other than a tendency to plug the air filter with sludge somewhat it was fine at over 250,000 miles when it lost reverse. BUT-the dealer who worked on it (at 50K, still under engine warranty) was wanting an EXTRA $7500 for all the labor it took to get the van body off it to fix it! Much laughter ensued, they didn't get an extra dime... All the while, we had an '03 7.3 PSD E-350 van make it to 700K with no major issues until doors started falling off!

?

I will not argue that he is not obnoxious. But I think his company knows what they are doing with PSD. I think it's Mikey on his videos that is the real expert there on the engines not Bill the main guy in the videos.

My fiancée's mom has a 2004 SD that she bought new with the 6.0 that she recently had to spend about $10,000 on repairs after a head gasket blew and put coolant through the engine. The bad thing is that this truck had only 75,000 miles on it. The engine was totally stock and had never hardly pulled or hauled anything.

I think during the repair they had some of the "bullet proof" work done to it. It also had to have 8 new injectors.

On the flip side, my fiancée had a 2003 SD that she bought new with the 6.0 and the only thing that went wrong in the 96,000 miles that she owned it was that the EGR cooler hose leaked and one of the sensors on the back of the driver's side part of the engine went out. Other than that, no problems. The engine was completely stock as well. This truck occasionally pulled a 24 ft stock trailer but never was really worked hard. Before she sold it, it was blowing quite a bit of black smoke at startup and didn't start as easy as it used to so I'm sure it was developing some kind of issue.

It seemed that some of these engines were hit or miss. I knew some other people that had them and some of them had all kinds of problems and others not.

Originally Posted by Donald

?

I will not argue that he is not obnoxious. But I think his company knows what they are doing with PSD. I think it's Mikey on his videos that is the real expert there on the engines not Bill the main guy in the videos.

There is nothing that they do that I can't. I have "bulletproofed" many trucks, including my own. It's a matter of cost to people. Just a strange comment from that other guy.

Just curious ,Mattd, with all the repairs you are doing and having to pull the body off the truck,why will you not at least re-ring it? I am not questioning how you are doing it,just wondering. I know nothing about the workings of a 6.0.

They don't want to pay. Granted the engine wasn't smoking or burning oil

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
The proper way to fix is to remove the powerstroke and replace with another completely different engine like a 7.3

The 6.0 is not a bad engine if bulletproofed properly. You can get them cheap with issues then fix them up and have a decent reliable truck. The auto behind the 6.0 was also stronger than the one behind the 7.3. The issue with the 6.0 is you have to do all the upgrades at the same time, which most people don't want to do/have the cash to do. Then it turns into a nightmare of constant issues.

While I love the 7.3L, it is starting to get impossible to find decent ones used. They are either hammered and worn out, super expensive, or both. For some of the prices people ask for 250k mile 7.3 trucks you could almost buy two 6.0's and bullet proof them. The 6.4 is another nightmare altogether because of the emissions systems and lack of build quality, so best to avoid that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back