First motorcycle oil change. FRAM filter discovered

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first bike. A 2011 CBR250R with 9000 miles on it now. While it is nice that changing the oil requires no jacks and crawling around underneath an undercarriage, swapping the filter requires quite a bit more bolts to get to it. I guess I still prefer the motorcycle oil and filter change though - much easier on the back.

When I opened the filter housing up, I found a FRAM filter media on the inside. I was so surprised. The guy I bought the MC seemed so meticulous about maintenance. He kept all parts in plastic bags, put on high quality crash bars and rear stand knobs. He even included a Honda filter when I purchased it. I know nothing of MC oil filters. Are FRAM media-only filters as bad as car filters? This filter didn't look so good. The rubber o-ring that mates with the inlet side of the housing had peeled off partially. I have replaced it with a Honda filter. I suppose it doesn't matter so much in the long run, but want to know your opinions. Thanks.

Dont know if you missed it but FRAM is good now...actually great.

Since he handed you a honda filter.. he probably skipped a couple or few filter changes.. but had good intentions on changing it at some point.

If you are the third owner..he may not have ever changed it at all...

Originally Posted by Kurtatron
I know nothing of MC oil filters. Are FRAM media-only filters as bad as car filters?

33.gif

Some FRAM applications are good, some are garbage.
I think someone posted a cartridge that was disintegrating just this week.
all depends.

Was it Fram's motorcycle filter, or one of their car filters?

Honda's motorcycle oil filters don't filter worth beans (not unlike their car oil filters). It _does_ have a nice seal on it, though. Fram's motorcycle oil filters also don't filter very well. If you want fine oil filtration, use one of Fram's car oil filters.

What Fram's motorcycle oil filter does (is?) for Honda applications is a significantly thicker can. I no longer recall the internals well enough to comment beyond that. Personally, I use a Fram car filter on my recent-model Honda motorcycle, and I run a 10W30 oil in it.

calsci.com is a motorcycle site with lots of info, oil filter fitments as well

That calsci.co site isn't accurate at least for their oil filter recommendations. They state you can use the same oil filters on Harley Evo motors, and Harley Twin cam motors and that is wrong. The micron rating is different between that motors, so be careful and check what your bike needs according to your bikes mfgr, before blindly following what a website tells you.,,

Originally Posted by bulwnkl

Honda's motorcycle oil filters don't filter worth beans (not unlike their car oil filters). It _does_ have a nice seal on it, though. Fram's motorcycle oil filters also don't filter very well. If you want fine oil filtration, use one of Fram's car oil filters.

What Fram's motorcycle oil filter does (is?) for Honda applications is a significantly thicker can. I no longer recall the internals well enough to comment beyond that. Personally, I use a Fram car filter on my recent-model Honda motorcycle, and I run a 10W30 oil in it.

How can I use a car filter in motorcycle? Cut open the can and take out the media? Seems sketchy to me. There is no place to screw on a cartridge style filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kurtatron
Originally Posted by bulwnkl

How can I use a car filter in motorcycle? Cut open the can and take out the media? Seems sketchy to me. There is no place to screw on a cartridge style filter.

Many motorcycles, including most middleweight or heavier modern motorcycles, including my Honda 919, use a spin-on car style filter. Older and/or smaller bikes tend to use replaceable filter elements, at least historically.

Last edited:
What was your experience that makes you ask or rhetorically say are the motorcycle filters as bad as the car filters? What fram car filter has failed you or someone you know in the last 20 years, caused catastrophic engine failure and sent the car to the junkyard because of this? And what other filter brand has never had an issue?

What about the filter fidn't look so good?

Maybe the previous owner didn't lube the o-ring properly and it was on there dry, all kinds of reasons an o-ring would do what it did that has nothing to do with the quality of the o-ring.

I never liked Frams on my Yamaha and continue not to use them on my HD.
The cans and threads on the filter just seem cheap and lite, for around the same price I can buy HiFlo's and a few more dollars I can buy OEM so no need to feel cheated with the Fram.

I guess they will all do their job but since you post that you were not impressed with the quality feel of the Fram it makes no sense to use them. We all have our preferences but if you check out Emgo or HiFlo's you WILL be impressed. I assume they sell media only filters as I believe they are among the largest producers of filters in the world (motorcycle)

Last edited:
I would judge the quality of a filter solely on its color. How does the orange filter look on your bike? Companies invest in marketing and obviously that is one of the most important factors when buying a filter, not its functionality/design.

Personally, I prefer a filter made in some far away land, by a company that employs questionable labor practices--only then will you really know that you have a good filter.

I won't get into the whole Fram debate aside from saying they've lost me on the extra guards forever. I'll buy Tough Guards and Ultras, those are great filters and worth the money... if the price is right.

OEM is usually high quality, many aftermarket filters are very high quality but maybe not worth the crazy high prices. In this situation, it's a good idea to spend a little extra on a premium filter... first, the filter is hard to access so you want to get a good one that will last more than one service interval. I sure would.
Also for motorcycles it's not necessary to change the oil filter every time you change the oil. Why would I say this? The capacities section of every motorcycle manual I've seen lists different numbers for different oil change services. For example:
After rebuild/new engine: 2.2 quarts
Oil change with filter: 2 quarts
Periodic oil change: 1.8 quarts <-- this means a periodic oil change is simply a drain and fill, no more. The used filter stays on the case.

I believe Fram and HD are made by champion labs. I use Fram Ultra and the HD on my TC 88.
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I never liked Frams on my Yamaha and continue not to use them on my HD.
The cans and threads on the filter just seem cheap and lite, for around the same price I can buy HiFlo's and a few more dollars I can buy OEM so no need to feel cheated with the Fram.

I guess they will all do their job but since you post that you were not impressed with the quality feel of the Fram it makes no sense to use them. We all have our preferences but if you check out Emgo or HiFlo's you WILL be impressed. I assume they sell media only filters as I believe they are among the largest producers of filters in the world (motorcycle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back