2014 F150 3.5EB Tuned 5w-30 Castrol Magnatec

UOA attached. Still tuned and decided to extend the drain interval this time. Lots of towing, including a 5-6k lbs tractor multiple times.

[Linked Image]

In regards to fuel dilution Blackstone always seems very nonchalent about it as if its not a problem. Am I simply too worried about nothing or will thinning and fuel dilution ultimately be bad for the engine? Ive seen other labs flag this condition in red and describe it as a real issue.

Personally speaking I would move up to the 40.

Our 2014 Explorer 3.5EB with excessive timing chain wear and dealer service intervals tells me to be wary of fuel dilution. Sticking to 5k or less OCI on the 2018 truck.

I wish it had the TBN.....The Castrol EDGE and Magnatec always look so similar....and the TBN is obviously lower...but how much lower would be interesting to see.

IMHO, if it were my nice 3.5L EB engine and truck, I'd back up to a 4k to 5k OCI and feel better about it. Just me...

Think all it needs is either a oil cooler or about a qt more and its possible for a 10k oci. I'm glad to see a oil that many disregard as subpar doing fairly well. He add's nitrous and the 5w30 will be toast.Will need a custom 2w35 Castrol Magnatec at least. Thank you for the UOA!

Originally Posted by Navi
In regards to fuel dilution Blackstone always seems very nonchalent about it as if its not a problem. Am I simply too worried about nothing or will thinning and fuel dilution ultimately be bad for the engine? Ive seen other labs flag this condition in red and describe it as a real issue.

Personally speaking I would move up to the 40.

Do you believe Ford is ignorant of the fact 5W30's have sheard since 5W30's have been in use?

Most oils can withstand the rigors of a long OCI. The problem with a long oil change is not the oil but contamination in the oil such as metal and moisture as well as fuel dilution and whatever else seems to get in there. Dont forget...sludge!

This is an Ecoboost with known problems of fuel dilution and its an expensive engine. If you plan on owning it for a while I would do 4000 mile changes.

Although moisture is a cause of sludge in a motor oil the oil must oxidize for sludge to form. Driving allows most of the moisture to burn off and antioxidants offset oxidation.

Blindly recommending short OCI's because of "feelings" makes little sense especially when the data such as here does not suggest this course of action. Then there is this

https://www.autoinfluence.com/review-fords-infamous-ecoboost-engines/

Ford bet the farm with the Ecoboost family and would not recommend a grade of oil to gamble it's future to gain CAFE credits which costs less than repairing and replacing any significant percentage of engines every year. Not to mention this money would be paid out of other important departments which Ford needs to stay in business.

The towing and tune clearly are not a concern here; good typical wear and low contamination. Even fuel seems moderate for an EB.

Extended OCIs are at the risk of the owner, obviously. I always advocate for longer OCIs, but when it comes to EB engines, ONLY with proper baseline established, and controlled methodical extension with proper monitoring tools (UOAs, PCs, visual observations, etc). The risks and rewards need to be understood prior to the adventure being undertaken.

NOTE - THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION AND NOT PROVEN, SO TREAD WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT I CANNOT BACK THIS UP WITH ANY HARD DATA...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-I4HhNDJfs
What seems to be of concern to me, with ANY DI high-pressure fuel system such as this (irrespective of OEM brand) is that IF you are seeing high fuel content in your oil, it's probably coming from a direct internal leak of the pump in a localized area. Hence, the cam lobe that drives the HPFP, and the subsequent damage to the pump follower as well. When fuel escapes this style of pump, most all of that fuel is going to be locally distributed FIRST at the point of the leak (in and around that specific area). That will cause the localized oil at the point of leak to be GREATLY diluted, and only then later dilute the whole sump. So while the fuel content of the sump might only be 1% or less in a UOA, the LOCALIZED fuel effect at the lobe where that HPFP exists might be getting hosed down with minute fuel concentrations every single stroke of the HPFP.

I would actually advocate for occasionally removing the HPFP and visually observing for abnormal wear on both the lobe and the HPFP follower. This is why I way it's important to know your unique engine design and issues. And why that ONLY using a UOA is dangerous. I always advocate for UOAs, PCs, and visual observations when the unique engine design demands it.

There are some engines that are VERY reliable and have proven through tens of thousands of UOAs to have good wear and a good reputation. There are times when I will directly advocate for an OCI extension because I'm intimately familiar with the engine design and it's wear traits. (Ford 4.6L; Ford 3.5L Duratec,). These engines do have issues, but they are not avoided by shortening the OCI. For example the internal water pump leaks of the Duratec 3.5L has nothing to do with the oil change interval; you cannot stop the leaks from happening by shortening the OCI duration.

With any of Ford's EB DI engines, they all use the HPFP design that I know of. If I owened one, I'd be personally not only doing UOAs to track the overall engine wear, but I'd also be pulling off that HPFP to track the localized pump wear.

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
No I am not suggesting it over my feelings! My truck is now.at the dealer for the 3rd time for cold start rattle. Last time it spent 45 days at the dealership. Beyond the Ecoboost trucks I know 2 guys with Suburbans who just got new engines as a result of piston and lifter damage.

Oil is cheap at Walmart and so are oem filters.

Being in the livery industry I depend upon my cars and before the current maintenance meter Ford did suggest for severe service to change at 5000 miles.

I really dont care what Fords engineers say. Look at my truck in the shop 3 times and 45 days. The engineers still trying to figure it out.

If this car your bread and butter I wouldnt push it past 5000 miles.

Do you notice a clicking noise coming from under your hood, passenger side of engine compartment, HPFP area, not sure if there is a difference between your model, & 2018.

I have a 2018 3.5 EcoBoost. I noticed that my fuel dilution was high on initial samples, & tried to diagnose where it could be coming from. Even pulled plugs out at 6000 Km, to see if I could see a difference in plug color.

Every time I opened the drivers door, it sounded like the pump was priming under the hood. I was experiencing Fuel dilution at over 8% on the initial oil change, then it dropped to 3-4% for the next few oil change intervals.

My last 2 samples have shown no FD, & viscosity has been holding grade. But now I also notice I don't hear the noise under the hood I was first noticing. I knew where it was coming because I left the hood open, & I could put my hand on the part while it was "priming", as it would last for 20- 30 seconds or more. Now it is nothing, even after sitting overnight. Previously I was experiencing it multiple times within a very short period.

I don't know what would cause it to stop. When I questioned the dealer about this noise I was experiencing, I was told it was normal. They didn't seem concerned with FD levels, & wouldn't look into it unless a CEL came on. The good thing is I was changing my oil at 4000 kilometer intervals, to keep a handle on things, & wear metals never seemed to be an issue. Recently have upped my OCI to 8000 kilometers, & thinking about going to 10,000 kilometers which would be about 6200 miles.

The ticking will keep getting louder until you can hear it from inside the car. It will literally sound like a diesel. Then it will cold start rattle. The rattle will hit first at first start after a night of sitting then keep getting worse.

The dealership cant do anything until they hear the rattle.

If that ticking is normal then lets start up a new truck at the dealer and see how it sounds.

This is current guidance.

SSM 48168 - 2017-2018 F-150, 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator - 3.5L EcoBoost - Ticking/Tapping Or Rattle Type Noise On Start Up After A Cold Soak
Some 2017-2018 F-150 vehicles built on or before 10-Jul-2018 and 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built on or before 8-Apr-2019 equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a ticking, tapping, or rattle type noise from the top front cover area of the engine that last 2-5 seconds on initial start-up after a cold soak. This may be due to a worn variable cam timing (VCT) unit. A TSB is expected to be published 4th quarter of 2019. In the interim, replace all 4 VCT units and update the powertrain control module (PCM) calibration. Do not replace timing chains, tensioners, guides or other timing related components unless inspection clearly identifies a concern. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01. Claim the labor required to replace VCTs using published labor operations and PCM programming using M-time. Monitor OASIS for updates.

This is after the last two times at the dealership. I took this video right before I dropped off for the third time. The rattle came back but I noticed light ticking before the rattle came back.

Last edited:
The replacement cost for the engine is 10 grand but fortunately this is under my 150k Ford care extended warranty.

This is why I say to play it safe with this truck. Use Castrol 5W40 or 0W40 or Mobil 1 0W40...its same price as every other oil at Walmart. Change before 5000 miles.

Also consider a catchcan. Make sure you changing the air filter when it needs it. Use a high oil quality filter...Im using Royal Purple and Purolator Boss.

There is some logic to the previous poster about "feelings" but I say "play it safe". It cant hurt to change it before 5k or use the 0W40 or 5W40. Who knows what else is going on with this engine thus keep maintenance at a perfect level.

Last edited:
Back