Please help me with hanging a picture!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, ok, ok...I am not that dumb, but I have a unique problem.

I bought my wife a picture similar to the one below...she LOVES the mountains, and LOVES the picture. Here is my problem.

She wants it hung above our fireplace on a slanted ceiling. It is the perfect spot, as when we lay in bed we can look right at it, but it poses some challenges...

First it is about a 45 degree angle
It is a light popcorn like texture (not bad, but enough that makes adhesive solutions tough)
I don't want a million holes all over my walls...

I tried a thick industrial strength double sided tape. In time, they all fell off the wall...some of them taking chucks of the texturing off with them.

So...what is a hole-less solution that would work?

mountains.PNG

Ok, I found the picture I took when I had it hung up with the sticky tape. This is the actual picture and wall.

IMG_1788.jpg

Woo, holy cow you attached that to the ceiling with sticky tape?

Just my opinion but I'd not put that up with anything that didn't require holes.

My faith in double sided tape is limited to keeping a cabinet in my laundry room from flopping open. My hats off to you!

Why no holes?

Attach a flat surface to the studs and fasten the pics to it.

Perhaps a small, clear acrylic hanger much like you might use to mount a full length mirror on a wall or a closet door. In addition to the sticky tape you used to get them in the position you want, put one on the top and one on the bottom of each section of the painting. Of course if this is in the bedroom, I'd sleep with two pillows; one under my head and one over it because if these fall off, there is no guarantee they come straight down.

Sticky tape? That is a fireplace isn't it? Gas or wood doesn't matter. If so do you use that fireplace? If the answer is yes, that tape is a poor choice. In fact either way it was a poor choice.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
...First it is about a 45 degree angle
It is a light popcorn like texture (not bad, but enough that makes adhesive solutions tough)

Do they make a double sided Gorilla Tape???
Be aware, any tape product you use will only be as strong as the bond between the popcorn texture and the ceiling.
It doesn't help if the tape sticks to the popcorn but the popcorn rips off the ceiling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by DriveHard
...First it is about a 45 degree angle

Do they make a double sided Gorilla Tape???
Be aware, any tape product you use will only be as strong as the bond between the popcorn texture and the ceiling.
It doesn't help if the tape sticks to the popcorn but the popcorn rips off the ceiling.

Good point. I would hope the OP scraped the popcorn in the areas of the tape to at least give it a fighting chance. But even so I have little faith in the tape for that application.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Good point. I would hope the OP scraped the popcorn in the areas of the tape to at least give it a fighting chance. But even so I have little faith in the tape for that application.

I can't imagine he would scrape the popcorn off if he doesn't even want the mounting holes.
But as they say, wonders never cease ...

Try Earthquake or Museum putty. The stuff works really well. Here's a link to some that can be found on Amazon, though you should be able to get some at the bigger hardware stores. My only concern would be how well it will stick to the textured surface, but it's worth a shot.

I know you said minimal holes. How about attaching two lengths of 1 by 3 into the studs with drywall screws. Run the 1 by 3 horizontally behind the pictures. This makes 4 holes which are very easy to fill/conceal on a textured surface. The pictures can be attached to the 1 by 3 with small screws. The proximity of a fireplace makes adhesive a dicey proposition as I can see the heat softening the bond.

There are spray cans of popcorn finish if you ever decide to sell the home or just get tired of the paintings.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I can't imagine he would scrape the popcorn off if he doesn't even want the mounting holes.
But as they say, wonders never cease ...

I guess.
21.gif
I look at it differently. Popcorn ceilings are very easy to touch up. If I really wanted the pictures in that location I'd do it so they stay put.

Oldtom is correct. Great minds think alike. Pre-drill the screw holes into drywall for the least amount of damage, but don't oversize the hole into the wood.

What is their construction? Is there a frame, or are they pieces of foam? You could nail/staple and possibly glue them depending on those variables. You won't see the nail holes in the pictures standing on the floor, and they will disappear in the stucco ceiling.

You just have to find the studs and mark them.

Just use command brand picture hanging strips. They work wonders with no holes! Just make sure you get a high lbs rating for them. I would go higher on the rating since you are basically hanging that on the ceiling.

Don't expect that sticky tape to last long. There are hangers specifically for this kind of situation. Aluminum rail types are good. You will have to drill some holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back