6.0 powerstroke engine repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all, just another work project share thread. 2005 6.0 powerstroke with multiple oil and antifreeze leaks from front timing cover, rocker boxes , one external antifreeze head gasket leak (very unusual) and the usual lower crankcase leaks. This engine also had some debris in the oil filter , both ferrous and non ferrous metals as well as what appears as dirt. The engine had lower than normal oil pressure in addition to the leaks. Here are some pics , enjoy. Sorry for the huge lapse in pics in some diassembly, got in a groove and kept on going without picking up my phone.

ED4A13AD-02C8-4F20-AF96-3B95870635A8.jpeg

289ED33B-399F-40E4-8272-6B1E09701A83.jpeg

9F9F9415-DD18-455E-8691-B299441657E0.jpeg

61CD0CB8-44FC-413F-B972-650C52FF9E51.jpeg

02B55A91-2421-4E94-BF03-A691D2DCFC4A.jpeg

F59E178B-608C-45D7-933E-F22B1B4F3460.jpeg

2058A2F4-4F48-4938-B1EE-DEF4D5DD970F.jpeg

Yes reviva reman. About 4-5 years ago this engine was installed. Lots of leaks and injector issues with this engine. Crank is standard but is bored .030 over

A few more and again sorry for the big lapse

952E47ED-0FE4-457A-B858-33F726FB5566.jpeg

1612D4E1-D4DF-4C58-A79F-2AD6AB86AE64.jpeg

image.jpg

That last one is what promted this much disassembly. That is the high pressure oil pump screen. It's loaded with dirt/debris and some metal. Part of it is someone at some point recently did a very poor oil cooler repair and allowed a bunch of crap into the engine . A month ago it was towed in for a no start and the IPR was full of trash. Driver ran it for a month and I'm fixing it correctly and assessing damage. The main and connecting rod bearings are getting replaced, crankshaft, camshaft, lifters and cylinders all look good so I did not remove them from the bores (pistons). Driver is very bad about bringing the truck in for service so it does not get The oil changed and whatnot as often as it should. This is a boom truck and the hour meter has been maxed out on it for several years (at least 4-5).

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Cue the 6.0L Powerstroke hate & haters.....

Ironically enough I like these engines and with the proper mods, updates and maintenance they are reliable engines.

What do you estimate between the engine replacement years ago, the tow into your shop the other month, and this service bill, what the owner will have spent in service/repairs?

Originally Posted by mattd
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Cue the 6.0L Powerstroke hate & haters.....

Ironically enough I like these engines and with the proper mods, updates and maintenance they are reliable engines.

Me too! The biggest issue outside the common known issues & maintenance is HACK repairs by "mechanics" that have NO business working on a bicycle!

Last one I worked on had every bolt that holds down the left Oil Rail stripped out, & 4 on the right stripped. Along with all 8 Injector hold down bolts over torqued.....It was a 2003, So the rails look a lot different than the later one your working on.

That is frustrating, especially the oil rail bolts. This engine has a handful of stripped valve cover bolts. Yes, the early models have a much different HPO system than the late builds.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
What do you estimate between the engine replacement years ago, the tow into your shop the other month, and this service bill, what the owner will have spent in service/repairs?

Easily $15k. This truck isn't cheap to replace, though, with boom, utility body and equipment it has. I'd guess at least $125k to replace this truck.

Not sure about "hater" (although I'm not a fan of most things modern Ford)-but if this truck was a 7.3 PSD it would likely have never had the engine out of the truck (and the body in the air multiple times). On basically it's second rebuild, worked on (poorly) in between, I'd like to have what they've spent on it!

These engines are hyper-sensitive to proper build and set-up. When done right (and left in a stock or near-stock condition in terms of power), they can be very reliable. Mods that are done for longevity are acceptable; mods that significantly turn up the power are just a problem in the making. Improved oil coolers and EGR coolers, as well as proper FICM and related improvements like voltage supply and control, are a good thing. Tuners and fancy bling which mask underlying problems are just denying the inevitable. As a general statement, my opinion is that no more than 350 hp and 600 ft-lb makes for a reliable 6.0L engine, as long as the proper mods are done for longevity. And in fact, tuning the engine down from Ford's numbers (325hp; 570 ft-lb) to lower values not unlike the offerings from Navistar, make it that much more reliable. We all know there are Achilles heel issues with this engine design; aforementioned items. Others, such as the HPOP and related galley o-ring ... well, some of them just need long-term care because of the choices made in engine design. For example, the HP galley oil O-rings will need replaced, and the updated D style can help a bit, but eventually, all o-rings have to be replaced due to heat-cycle aging. It's no different than replacing leaky gaskets. The major issue even with a reliable 6.0L engine is that it's expensive to work on due to design choices; it's not nearly as "simple" as the old venerable 7.3L PSD. Things fail on the old 7.3L, but they are pretty much all external, easy to get to, and fairly inexpensive to fix (leaking turbo pedestal o-rings, oil cooler o-rings, fuel bowl heater, cam sensor, etc). With the 6.0L, even after you "fix" the oil cooler (buried and expensive), and the EGR cooler (expensive), you're still looking at HPOP updates, oil galley seals, expensive injectors, etc in the 6.0L. It can be a very reliable and strong work engine AFTER you spend a lot of time/money on it.

There are many major-market re-manufacturing places that, IMO, don't do a good job of the re-man work. Most of them have become just fast-paced, profit driven clearing houses for parts/engine turn around. Rather, it's far better to seek out a qualified reputable shop that will re-man it locally, and has the reputation of standing behind their work, and is recognized as a long-term local community business.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
These engines are hyper-sensitive to proper build and set-up. When done right (and left in a stock or near-stock condition in terms of power), they can be very reliable. Mods that are done for longevity are acceptable; mods that significantly turn up the power are just a problem in the making. Improved oil coolers and EGR coolers, as well as proper FICM and related improvements like voltage supply and control, are a good thing. Tuners and fancy bling which mask underlying problems are just denying the inevitable. As a general statement, my opinion is that no more than 350 hp and 600 ft-lb makes for a reliable 6.0L engine, as long as the proper mods are done for longevity. And in fact, tuning the engine down from Ford's numbers (325hp; 570 ft-lb) to lower values not unlike the offerings from Navistar, make it that much more reliable. We all know there are Achilles heel issues with this engine design; aforementioned items. Others, such as the HPOP and related galley o-ring ... well, some of them just need long-term care because of the choices made in engine design. For example, the HP galley oil O-rings will need replaced, and the updated D style can help a bit, but eventually, all o-rings have to be replaced due to heat-cycle aging. It's no different than replacing leaky gaskets. The major issue even with a reliable 6.0L engine is that it's expensive to work on due to design choices; it's not nearly as "simple" as the old venerable 7.3L PSD. Things fail on the old 7.3L, but they are pretty much all external, easy to get to, and fairly inexpensive to fix (leaking turbo pedestal o-rings, oil cooler o-rings, fuel bowl heater, cam sensor, etc). With the 6.0L, even after you "fix" the oil cooler (buried and expensive), and the EGR cooler (expensive), you're still looking at HPOP updates, oil galley seals, expensive injectors, etc in the 6.0L. It can be a very reliable and strong work engine AFTER you spend a lot of time/money on it.

There are many major-market re-manufacturing places that, IMO, don't do a good job of the re-man work. Most of them have become just fast-paced, profit driven clearing houses for parts/engine turn around. Rather, it's far better to seek out a qualified reputable shop that will re-man it locally, and has the reputation of standing behind their work, and is recognized as a long-term local community business.

The problem is at least here. No local machine shops do diesel. I walked into a shop with a set of heads and was shown the door.

Why do they call it an engine repair when you have to pull the whole Dxxx Truck apart to do it. More DIY killed by engineering. Repairs that require this should have to be done free by the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back