New Honda eu2200i break in during winter, also remove spark plug put oil in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a brand new Honda eu2200i which I'm going to be breaking in soon. I'm on the coast of New England USA. There were some delays getting to this which turned out to be a good thing! I'm a internet research hound and in the interim found the motoman/mototune/run hard break-in article and read a bunch of related threads here and elsewhere as well. Just learned of this a couple days back so still sinking in, completely new info to me, makes sense! A couple questions. I live in a small apartment, this break-in will occur in front of my walk in rented storage area where I can do such things like run generators:

1. Prior to finding the mototune info I had seen a few mentions of removing the spark plug and dribbling some oil in, maybe Marvel Mystery Oil or the like, then pulling the start cord a few times before first starting. Read 4 or 5 really good generator break in threads here on BITOG and didn't see nary a mention of such. Not needed? Can't hurt? Procedure?

2. I'd like to get at least 40 degree temps to do this [start the break in procedure] but may venture forth in colder temps. Maybe have the generator inside overnight to be somewhat warm at start? After the first oil change it may be another day/time when I get back to it for the next run. Let it warm up inside again? Or does it matter. Can't see how but does this staggered approach matter? One thing I liked when researching the Honda is it has that cap that really seals in the gas odors, so I should be good sneaking it into my apartment under wraps
smile.gif

The generator will be used regularly year round, perhaps as much as several times a week. Run power tools, heater, etc. Also I flip stuff on Craigslist and meet buyers at a parking lot. I will now be able to offer on-site testing for all manner of electrical items.

thanks for your time and any info!

I don't think you're going to hurt a thing by doing all of that, and the warmer oil at start is going to flow better, although you could use a thinner oil.

Properly taken car of, that thing is going to run forever anyways, but nothing you've described could do anything but add life to it, however minor.

Unless you have a concern of corrosion in the cylinder I would not oil the cylinder, some ring manufacturers warn against this (and dipping pistons) because it inhibits break in. If you do elect to do it use something very light and not much of it.

Those little engines are robust and don't need any special treatment. Use a quality oil, a quality fuel and go on your way. Adding oil to the fuel will simply serve to lean out the air/fuel mixture on an already "lean" engine. This may lead to operational issues.

From a practical point of view, good maintenance practices (regular oil changes with the proper oil, air filter service, etc) will provide the longest service life.

I would not even worry about a break in procedure. Simply use it normally, when you need to use it. Think about that for a bit, you are taking a cold engine and starting it up, warm it up for a bit, then apply a load. What could possibly be a better break in procedure?

If possible in your area, an ethanol free fuel would be a nice choice.

put in synthetic oil,
add a tad bit 2 cycle in gas (if you are not going to use it a long time (I would not, it might clog jets when it dries)
let it warm up ,
plug in room heater in high, let it run for few hours and change oil and drain gas from tank and carb.

Never had to worry about putting oil into the spark plug hole on any of my small engines. If you're concerned about corrosion, maybe pull the rope until you feel the compression stroke, then the valves are closed.

No need to put oil in the spark plug hole - these engines are already run from the factory, then drained.

HOwever, I *do* mix 128:1 (1 oz of 2-cycle oil per gallon) in every engine I am doing a break in.

Honestly - the engine side should run nearly forever. The greater chance of failure is usually the electrical side of it all.

Originally Posted by FastLane
Put oil and gas in it. Nothing more. Let it break in for a few hours with various loads on it. Change the oil.

^^^ This. I owned a eu2000i. Don't overthink it. Put the proper fluids in it, keep it clean, and change the oil more frequently if you want. It's pretty easy on oil, and is a very efficient machine. Use and enjoy.

Originally Posted by ttggzz
Hello, I have a brand new Honda eu2200i which I'm going to be breaking in soon. I'm on the coast of New England USA. There were some delays getting to this which turned out to be a good thing! I'm a internet research hound and in the interim found the motoman/mototune/run hard break-in article and read a bunch of related threads here and elsewhere as well.
I neither agree nor disagree with the article, as the applications are completely different. A generator is going to attenuate the load on the motor no matter how hard you try to beat on it. Just run it with varying loads of 30-90% capacity for the first five hours, change the oil, and live a happy life.

Putting a spoon full of oil in the cylinder and pulling the rope a few times and then stopping when the resistance of compression is felt on the pulled rope so the valves are closed is for when you are putting away an engine that may not be used for a long time, like more than 6 months.

Ive broken in a couple new generators.
The process I have used was to use a 500w halogen work light for a light load and a 1500 watt heater for a heavier load. I would alternate the loads around for about a 5 hour break in, then dump the oil. Refilled with dino 10w30 hdeo, then used the generator normally. At about additional 10 hours on this oil change, I dump it and refill with the Amsoil ase and consider break in complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back