What battery is OEM in Toyotas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been noticing a little bit of slow cranking in the 4Runner when it's really cold out; thinking if it's the original battery that it may be going after five years.

Currently there is a Panasonic unit in there, distributed by Toyota motor (with several distribution centers listed worldwide) so I am thinking that it is the original battery from 2015.

I'll be getting it tested later today, but wanted to get some input from knowledgeable members about the usual OEM battery.

Maybe it's just cold out...

No seriously, couple years ago I thought the same in my Tundra. It's still using the same battery though, 10 years old now and never been touched. I fully discharged it (below 10V, I think 9V) a couple years ago, thought it was a goner--but it's been 3 years of regular operation since.

I'm sure that it'd just take one minor thing and I'd find that it has all of 5 minutes reserve capacity--but just as a counterpoint, maybe it's not kaput, just showing a bit of age.

My Corolla battery lasted 11 years but my Venza battery is only 5 and it seems weak at times...depends i guess.

I'm surprised the Panasonic battery only lasted 4-5 years, the one in my ECHO went almost 12 before needing replacement. I couldn't find a US distributor for those batteries or I would have bought another one.

unfortunately cars these days use much more electronics and saving presets along with running the alarm system so batteries don't last as long. My lexus isf also had Panasonic but didn't last much more then 4 years as I did get a free replacement under warranty, but the oem Toyota didn't come close to holding up that long either I think only 2-3 years. I do live in cold climate I think Toyota batteries are made by jonston controls and you can buy these from Costco with great return policy. But I did ponder using the agm bosh battery as these will have longer life and the guys on forums had great experience with them. Best price was from pepboys when there is a sale running but we don't have pepboys in Canada and these batteries are double the price here like everything else

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Beasty18c5
unfortunately cars these days use much more electronics and saving presets along with running the alarm system so batteries don't last as long. My lexus isf also had Panasonic but didn't last much more then 4 years as I did get a free replacement under warranty, but the oem Toyota didn't come close to holding up that long either I think only 2-3 years. I do live in cold climate I think Toyota batteries are made by jonston controls and you can buy these from Costco with great return policy. But I did ponder using the agm bosh battery as these will have longer life and the guys on forums had great experience with them. Best price was from pepboys when there is a sale running but we don't have pepboys in Canada and these batteries are double the price here like everything else

This is spot on. Depending on the trim level of the 4Runner in question the loads on batteries have greatly increased.

To clarify, Toyota's assembled in Japan will get a Panasonic battery. Those assembled in the US may have a different vendor.

My mother's 2000 Camry (assembled in Kentucky) came with a Johnson Controls battery. My Prius came with a Yuasa AGM 12-volt (besides the big battery).

Originally Posted by kschachn
I'm surprised the Panasonic battery only lasted 4-5 years, the one in my ECHO went almost 12 before needing replacement. I couldn't find a US distributor for those batteries or I would have bought another one.

Pssshh. I have had two OE pansonics fail at exactly 3 years.

I just wish other manufacturers made clear or see through cases to see the water levels easier.

My 2017 Tundras battery lasted about 25 months and poof dead with ZERO warning.A very common issue with Tundras it seems.

Our dad's 2006 Tundra's OEM battery died last summer. So, around 13 years it lasted. I think it was a Panasonic battery.

Actually this sudden death is a characteristic of all AGM batteries, they go full out and then suddenly nothing.
This is why it's importante to wean ourselves from the thinking of 20-30 yrs ago on batteries, that gave us plenty of warning.
Now we have to arm ourselves with "smart battery chargers" and hook them up at least every 2 months or so to rejuvenate our batteries.

I find these battery life stories astounding. And I'm a Toyota Fanboy. I'm on my original alt, trans, engine,etc at 250K, as i have done with my last 3 Toyotas. You would think that all a car company has to do is reverse engineer a good design and they would have equal success, but it must be a lot harder to do in real life.

Originally Posted by rekit
You would think that all a car company has to do is reverse engineer a good design and they would have equal success, but it must be a lot harder to do in real life.

I worked with ex-Detroit automotive engineers in just about every category. Every executive thinks they have the secret sauce to make something better than the next guy. Every engineer quickly learns that their designs get pushed out to production in whatever condition they're in when they are due, and then production engineering makes it worse. The company still makes a profit, even on the stinkers, so who cares? If a part is really bad it'll get a Rev that makes it out the next product year, or maybe the year after that.

If things really do get bad during the next economic downturn, salvation is always a lobbying effort away. The big execs get their golden parachutes, the Union gets their dues and the retirees get the shaft, and every politician gets re-elected.

Battery life isn't a brand-specific issue, necessarily, except when a common failure causes excess battery drain (a la Honda/Acura bluetooth module failures). From everything I've seen, the allowed parasitic draw across most manufacturers hasn't changed much over the years. 50-75mA is still a common spec. Anything over 100mA and you're going to have issues, eventually. Now, I will admit, on the newer vehicles it's not uncommon to see brief (
Originally Posted by rekit
I find these battery life stories astounding. And I'm a Toyota Fanboy. I'm on my original alt, trans, engine,etc at 250K, as i have done with my last 3 Toyotas. You would think that all a car company has to do is reverse engineer a good design and they would have equal success, but it must be a lot harder to do in real life.

Although I'm mostly a domestic guy, GM mainly, I've loved all 3 Toyota's I've had:

1997 Corolla with a supercharged MR-2 engine and LSD transmission. That car had an underdrive pulley and was absolutely hilarious.
1992 Camry, 2.2. This one actually spun a rod bearing one day. I shut it off almost immediately, pulled the oil pan, and slid in a new set of bearings. Would it have lasted? No. But it ran nice afterwards!
2001 Corolla - 248k miles, burned a quart a week, had the coldest air conditioning of any car I've EVER owned.

Originally Posted by kschachn

AFAIK they just flat out don't sell them in the US, and even if you go to the Toyota dealer for a battery, you won't get a Panasonic.

Which is a shame, because they really do seem to be top notch batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back