TCW3 vs ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
For an engine with carbs and no O2 sensors, would there be any difference if ATF is added to the gas tank, instead of TCW3? Saw a video on projectfarm where he was comparing Seafoam with ATF and overall results were good for him.

Is ATF ash-less(similar to TCW3), some search suggests that TCW3 is respected and quite appreciated, ATF not so much.

Hence posting a question, thank you
thumbsup2.gif

ATF in the oil, carb, or gas tank was invented by mechanics who knows when... there is no merit to any of those tales.

No idea what you are trying to 'fix'

PEA is good for cleaning the entire fuel system.. TCW3 is good for lubricating injector pumps in diesels.. and possibly removing some carbon from piston tops.

Skip the Seafoam and look towards Gumout/Techron or Redline Si-1 for in the tank 'fixes'.

Yeah, what all the guys said times 3. No or limited detergents in atf. It would be liking adding mineral oil to the fuel, only good for a ucl and that's it.

Have always a big fan of techron and have used it frequently.

So got curious after watching the video
smile.gif

See the redline post and see Chris Fix's boroscope on techron, you may second guess that. The issue with techron is in the sds, does it even have EA and in what %?

Corey was using TWC3 before trying si-1, and I believe amsoil PI as well, and this was his pistons prior to si-1 but after long term use of TWC3 . I know guys around here like 2 stroke, but after my friends found the si-1 results they decided to try it themselves with a boroscope, and now it is simply proof beyond any doubt, leave the TWC3 alone and pick up the PEA cleaner Redline SI-1, best results on the planet. The closest pour in was Royal Purple, but still the redline must use more PEA as the results are better. The other proven results based cleaner is sea foam through vac lines, not gas tank. But if you want a pour in, many guys have just put in the effort to prove to you which one works best. I was skeptical, Chris Fix didn't have good results with pour ins, but he didn't try Si-1, and to his detriment. He did say he was gonna try it at some point, but I haven't seen it. Anyhow, 3 video's and these pics, and a multiple follow up test with pics prove this stuff works.

[Linked Image]

Then he used Redline sI-1 and this was after one tank/one bottle.

[Linked Image]

I posted because he was using TWC3 long term, and still had caked pistons. This was a short test, he will follow up after using 3 bottles and a few more tank fulls. See redline borocoped thread for updates.

I just got confirmation from Corey how long he had been using TWC3, this was his reply..

Not exactly sure when I started but I bought the first gallon of TCW3 at the beginning of June. So to be safe I'd say 4.5 months...

So using it every tank for 4.5 mos and the pistons were cake, I see no value in that stuff. 4 out of 4 redline boroscopes prove a lot of cleaning. = No Brainer!!

Originally Posted by burla
I posted because he was using TWC3 long term, and still had caked pistons. This was a short test, he will follow up after using 3 bottles and a few more tank fulls. See redline borocoped thread for updates.

Not surprised. While it may work as an UCL, what in TCW3 can survive the high combustion chamber temps long enough to attack carbon deposits?🤔

If understand that correctly you guys talking about using this stuff in gas vehicles. Would using it in diesel change a little? Since diesel runs hotter and under higher compression.

At 640:1, it will take a VERY long time (if ever) for TCW3 to clean majorly carboned-up combustion chambers, you need to use PEA to do this. I have found TCW3 to be effective in KEEPING the combustion chambers clean (when used on a continuous basis).

Originally Posted by wag123
At 640:1, it will take a VERY long time (if ever) for TCW3 to clean majorly carboned-up combustion chambers, you need to use PEA to do this. I have found TCW3 to be effective in KEEPING the combustion chambers clean (when used on a continuous basis).

I've never used TCW3 because I'm a bit dubious on its ability as a combustion chamber cleaner. I could possibly see it effective for attacking the carbon on the backside of IV's on a PI engine but in the combustion chamber? These deposits can be very tenacious. I've only known solvents and pea to be effective at treating these deposits...but maybe I'm missing something??🤔

Last edited:
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
ATF in the oil, carb, or gas tank was invented by mechanics who knows when... there is no merit to any of those tales.

No idea what you are trying to 'fix'

PEA is good for cleaning the entire fuel system.. TCW3 is good for lubricating injector pumps in diesels.. and possibly removing some carbon from piston tops.

Skip the Seafoam and look towards Gumout/Techron or Redline Si-1 for in the tank 'fixes'.

Before the 70's ATF was Whale oil which is an ester so I can see cleaning being accomplished by using it.

I might try to see if I can get pictures of my pistons. I've been using Redline Si-1 or Gumout PEA religiously. Dave at Redline told me he micro treats with Si-1 regularly. I have followed that too and a bottle of si-1 lasts a long time. I just don't see how tcw can clean on direct injection? Plus I think the quality pea cleaners also protect from ethanol/stabilize fuels.
Subscribing to this!!! Interested in the findings/facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back