Is this oil filter ok to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased this filter from Rock Auto. This was my first time using their site. This filter is for our 2014 VW Jetta 1.8 TSI. I noticed where the pleats seal together it almost looks like it didn't seal completely. Is this normal? I have never noticed on the OEM filters I have purchased through the VW dealer.

7A9D92A0-4942-4116-87B7-58D2794229CF.jpeg

21EFBFCD-77C8-4EA7-9678-9C41A49640E3.jpeg

F75031FD-F7BC-4DAC-A44F-60C7466CBD35.jpeg

D09B40D0-7BA2-40D3-862F-22A7529646CB.jpeg

D4F1C0FE-FDAB-449F-9A4D-D08DB69C32E9.jpeg

I'd send those pics to the mfg. I would expect better from Mann. I wouldn't have any confidence at all in that filter.

Based on the pics alone, I can't say for sure. If you take a toothpick, paperclip or something similar and gently open that pleat a bit. If it isn't open to straight through to center, then likely fine. Should be easy enough to see that pleat area on inner side adjacent to that area too. If I had to speculate I'd say it's ok, sealed on central side and that flap just the end of a pleat overlap. I've seen some spin on filters with a 'similar' type looking seam pleat area, sealed tightly centrally.

All that said, judging from post and query, if you don't have confidence in the cartridge you should return it RA.

Also agree.

If I had more than one I might check another and see if the pleat is actually sealed in that area vs just being sealed by potting if that makes sense. In other words is is supposed to be glued by design in the splayed pleat, or do they simply look more sealed because it the pleat is normally captured by the potting.

Go to a VW dealership parts desk, put it on the counter and ask 'em.

"Does this look real to you?" is all you have to ask. Or, "Maybe I need to buy a real one? What do you guys think?"."

If it's bogus the guys will want to laugh at it or you or both. However it goes down you'll be in the know.

Remember, if they laugh to the tune of, "You got ripped-off pal!" you can laugh along with them.

No need to fall back on your grammar school brain and feel threatened.

I went on Rock Auto and filed for replacement. I'll also go to VW this weekend and get one through them to compare.

Where was it shipped from? The return address.

Rock Auto doesn't actually own or control any inventory. They are a drop shipper. It is probably not a counterfeit, just a defect
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by gregk24
I went on Rock Auto and filed for replacement. I'll also go to VW this weekend and get one through them to compare.

Sounds like a good plan. Too many copycats in most auto parts out here today. I would do Kira said. You are going to VW dealer anyways.

Please update.

Sounds like a plan.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Overthinking. It's a Mann from Germany. Use it.

I've never seen a Mann in a cardboard colored box like that, and I use Mann all the time. Furthermore, the VW branded oil filter boxes don't look like that either.

Scott

Both filters shown have a different number on the box than on the filter. Looks like the media was too short or too long. RA buys whatever is out there on surplus I think, in oil filters. I have been happy with them otherwise.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town

I've never seen a Mann in a cardboard colored box like that, and I use Mann all the time. Furthermore, the VW branded oil filter boxes don't look like that either.

Scott

All of the OE VW parts are in a brown box like that.

Scott

Ones we get fo VW/Audi at work come in the exact same color box.

My dealer confirmed this also

Last edited:

Scott

VW branded oil filter boxes DO look like that. I can confirm as this is what they look like from the dealer.

Scott

Here is a picture of the OEM VW oil filter I bought from the dealer. It's for a 2016 VW Passat VR6. Box differences tell me VW sources oil filters from a variety of manufactures, probably depending on model type. This make good business sense IMO.

Scott

VW 1.jpeg

VW 2.jpeg

VW 3.jpeg

VW 4.jpeg

Scott

VW branded oil filter boxes DO look like that. I can confirm as this is what they look like from the dealer.

Thank You Greg
smile.gif

Did you get the new filter yet?

It looks like that whole pleat is loose. May be just the way they glue the seem on this filter. The Mann filters for her Volvo have the seem glued back to back and overlapped like this model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back