Should I change the ATF fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not changing your fluid will almost certainly guarantee a shorter life for your transmission. Find an interval you are comfortable with and stick to it. Your car has a much more likely chance of being put to pasture from rust or an accident than properly maintained engines or trannies.

I do believe you are right as a rule ^^^^^

I did wait until 283k miles plus to start to change my CVT fluid... However my operating conditions were about has easy and good as possible... 95%+ highway driving miles which are way, way easier on a transmission.

I will say my car does run quieter now vs before I changed the fluid in it.. That is very noticeable at low speed and high load circumstances. Much quieter now.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Good decision to do the drain and fills and filter change. My only advice would be to only use the Nissan OEM fluid that is made specifically for your transmission. Other generic multi-vehicle ATF's may work fine but only one was designed solely for your Nissan tranny.

Simply no. It's was tested with a DEXRON III copy. Good luck getting the exact same chemistry in 2020.

Many Dex/merc fluids still meet old dex3 requirements. Allison has a list that that meet tes389, which is basically dex3. Use any from the list with confidence in any dex3 application. Castrol Dex/Merc is preforming wonderfully as a psf3 replacement in my Kia.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Many Dex/merc fluids still meet old dex3 requirements. Allison has a list that that meet tes389, which is basically dex3. Use any from the list with confidence in any dex3 application. Castrol Dex/Merc is preforming wonderfully as a psf3 replacement in my Kia.

Yes there are many products made by reputable companies which meet the performance requirements and more likely each product is better than what was required from a DEXRON III product. But good luck finding a product which is exactly the same as Nissan tested this transmission with a decade and half ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back