Kia/Hyundai oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to think that was a myth about aftermarket filters on kia/hyundai vehicles.

My sister just purchased a 15 sportage 60k miles....I changed the oil for her and used a fram tg9688...On cold startups there was a rattle for maybe 2 seconds...

I just switched it out today for OEM filter and noise is gone...

My question is how much damage would that have caused if you just stuck with aftermarket?

Last edited:
Owned four Kias and a Hyundai, plus additional HyunKias with friends and family. Never heard the rattle. Always heard most after market manufacturers had adjusted specs so that rattles no longer happen. Either that or I just lucked out.

Originally Posted by csandste
Owned four Kias and a Hyundai, plus additional HyunKias with friends and family. Never heard the rattle. Always heard most after market manufacturers had adjusted specs so that rattles no longer happen. Either that or I just lucked out.

Same here.

Originally Posted by rocky8314
I used to think that was a myth about aftermarket filters on kia/hyundai vehicles.

My sister just purchased a 15 sportage 60k miles....I changed the oil for her and used a fram tg9688...On cold startups there was a rattle for maybe 2 seconds...

My question is how much damage would that have caused if you just stuck with aftermarket?

Maybe some, maybe nothing.. impossible to answer that question. Some Kia models are finicky when it comes to filters and I'm surprised you had the issue with a Fram. I always thought they were "full flow. In any event.. now you and your sister know. Stick with the OE filters they're not bad at all and not that expensive, at least the one's for my Kia aren't. I think for mine they avg about $2 more than a Fram retail but I can usually get em from Rock for $5~6 in lots of 3 or more.

When I got my used '14 Soul last year, prices for OEM filters were $5.97 and included a crush washer. Local Walmart also sells them for about same price but washer not included. I always keep several on hand for each of my vehicles.

I have a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe with 10k miles. OEM filter, Nothing; Fram filter at 5k, Nothing; OEM filter at 10k, Nothing.

Originally Posted by rocky8314

What does anyone suppose is the mechanism for this?

Bypass is low, but the TG are high efficiency which could lead to cold flow restriction.
The ADBV should be functional.

And Fram basplate is deep dished so there shouldnt be a flow restriction issue there

So we are back to Flow restriction or ADBV.

But I think a 2-3 second rattle is NORMAL on any wet timing system with hydraulic tensioners.

It is so on any of my my cars., ex honda fit 1.5 that had a ratcheting mechanical tensioner

and of course the VW 1.4t which is back to a belt.

I put out the warning about chain cars here a decade ago.

Remember the chain racket on motorcycles in the 80's?
That was my fist experience of rattle with a Suzuki with the center drive chain and the tensioner on the back of the block

I said to myself, " what is this racket ... this cant be good!"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JasonDotcom
For me, i noticed that KIA oil filters do not filter well enough. OEM filteration is far better. Weird but true. Did the tests myself several times to confirm.

What do you do to test them exactly?

Originally Posted by kschachn
For me, i noticed that KIA oil filters do not filter well enough. OEM filteration is far better. Weird but true. Did the tests myself several times to confirm.

I'm going with M+H's in house testing/data.

The OE filters are just fine...

On my 2010 2.4L Hyundai DD, I used OEM filters up to 150k. Then switched to Fram XG9688 which I been running them now for the last 35k. I can't tell much difference on startup. I still have a good size stash of OEMs and XG9688 filters. I originally tried the switch to XG9688 because I ran into a good sale, tried one and things seem fine, so few days later bought em out while still on sale.
FYI - watch for OEM fakes out there. Plenty info on the web about em.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Just a basic physical appearance of the oil. On a dip stick once u pull it out, u will see where the oil level is at. Right? Ok, so that level the oil sits at, there is nothing else to it. But on the Kia oil filter.... after a while i can see dirt accumulated at the edge of that oil level sits at. On OEM i do not see it at all and this was very consistent throughout several tries going back and forth with the Kia oil filter. Same driving conditions throughout.

Note: This was on a Sorento Diesel.

[Linked Image]

For the noise at start up, well for me, i do noticed it but didn't give much thought about it. I guess its more towards the type and brand of engine oil that is put in there. After all, if it is a timing chain type engine, it is bound to make some noises once a while when starting from cold.

Jason
That oil looks nasty. It needs changing more frequently.

I've noticed the Kia oil dipstick readings for the 2020 2.0 port injected model vary, depending on which side of the dipstick I read it from. One side always reads lower than the other.

My Kia and Hyundai filter numbers are the same. I buy the factory ones at Walmart and the Hyundai dealer charges similar prices. Both are authentic.

Last edited:
Kia/Hyundai oil filters are actually of very high quality and are cheaper to buy than M1 or Flam Ultra.
I get mine in 10 packs from Amazon but am careful about sellers. All have been original so far and last pack I bought was -35504 version.
I do run 4k miles OCIs with syn oil thou.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
OEM is the safest bet for both Kia and Hyundai vehicle owners of all ages.

True. Had a 18' Kia Forte today in that a independant shop used aftermarket filter. Tapping louder than a typewriter. Changed oil and used OEM filter and off to dealer to see what they say.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Jason
That oil looks nasty. It needs changing more frequently.

I've noticed the Kia oil dipstick readings for the 2020 2.0 port injected model vary, depending on which side of the dipstick I read it from. One side always reads lower than the other.

My Kia and Hyundai filter numbers are the same. I buy the factory ones at Walmart and the Hyundai dealer charges similar prices. Both are authentic.

No it does not. He said it's a DIESEL. If I showed you the dipstick of my friends 2018 Ford F-250 6.7 diesel truck after 10 minutes after a oil change your think I'm a idiot. Diesels turn oil black quick

Last edited:
my sorento is first gen and used the mitshibishi 3.5 motor. never thought I would be gratefull its got this engine. after this thread. the 3.5 is a lousey engine but doesn't grenade this way usually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back