What’s going on here - sidewall damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
On vacation 1000 miles from home. 2019 Highlander Awd. 7/32 left on tires and I just see this. Any recommendations? Wasn't there yesterday.

6E199E28-F534-4A0B-AAE8-5DC02595348D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
When we left no visible damage. It's about 10 inches long and about 1/8" deep. Don't remember hitting anything all highway traveling to Florida. I just don't want it to blow going home. Tire is on rear.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a pothole we hit on interstate. I'm just concerned about it staying together on way home. I don't want any surprises. About 1/8" deep overall and 1/4" on about 30 degree angle in a few places. Tires are factory about 1 year old. It's not losing pressure.

I'm sure it's ok, what I meant was you can peal back about 1/4" of rubber but cut is only 1/8" deep.

Something sharp or jagged was clipped. It was light enough contact you probably didn't even know it happened.

In good light, inspect the sidewall carefully. Peel back the rubber cuts. Do you see sidewall plies? Is so, the tire is junk.

Scott

Yeah, you hit something. Or something hit you...

I wouldnt worry about it. But good time to verify your tire pressures, including spare...

No cords showing, only surface rubber. Looked at it closer and appears fine. Holding 36psi. Thanks for all the quick replies. I'm going to keep a close eye on it making sure nothing is changing.

The side wall is thin and there is a lot of flexing going on. It is a bad place for a tire to be damaged and can cause a tire failure without notice, that is why tire stores won't repair a tire that has a puncture too close to the side wall. Having said that, the damage doesn't look too severe to me.

Been driving on it and watching it carefully. No indication of any problems. Thanks for all the replies.

The sidewall looks fine, and no signs of bulging. I would not worry too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back