think i got scammed this weekend. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
So got an email for a website offering $399 pressure washers for $69. yeah i thought it was too good to be true , but hey why not. if its true i get a washer for cheap. if not then i am protected . So i checked status this morning and the website is gone.

i am not too concerned as my credit card will protect me. i am curious if how these things work. So you send them money and they don't send you product and disappear. ok most people are protected. the banks will do a charge back.

So in this scam do they take the money and run and the bank can never catch them?

Good chance they were doing it to capture your CC information. They just harvest a bunch of CC info and disappear. It's then sold on the dark web. Watch your CC. You might start seeing some $1 charges from random locations.

Originally Posted by RW1
Good chance they were doing it to capture your CC information. They just harvest a bunch of CC info and disappear. It's then sold on the dark web. Watch your CC. You might start seeing some $1 charges from random locations.

+1.
From my own experience, I would call up the bank, file a fraud claim, get a new card (with a new number). It is too much hassle to keep track of small transactions. (after my card was copied somewhere, someone booked a last-minute ticket from CA to VA on American. Made a purchase in Walmart, small ebay purchases of less than a $ (in a span of 3 to 4 hours). I think I even posted about it here.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Originally Posted by RW1

+1.
From my own experience, I would call up the bank, file a fraud claim, get a new card (with a new number). It is too much hassle to keep track of small transactions. (after my card was copied somewhere, someone booked a last-minute ticket from CA to VA on American. Made a purchase in Walmart, small ebay purchases of less than a $ (in a span of 3 to 4 hours). I think I even posted about it here.

I agree. Shut the card off and get a new one. The scammers are smart. They might wait a year before using your card. Just when you think it's safe and nothing bad happened.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
So got an email for a website offering $399 pressure washers for $69. yeah i thought it was too good to be true , but hey why not. if its true i get a washer for cheap. if not then i am protected . So i checked status this morning and the website is gone.

i am not too concerned as my credit card will protect me. i am curious if how these things work. So you send them money and they don't send you product and disappear. ok most people are protected. the banks will do a charge back.

So in this scam do they take the money and run and the bank can never catch them?

Geez.

Got contacted a couple years ago from Visa regarding simultaneous charges from Coney Island and the Detroit airport. To the minute which sort of flagged things. Had a new card with a new number within three days. Had online access to my old account. No big deal. Let them know ASAP.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Use PayPal to insulate your credit card info in the future.

that's what i did. i double wrapped it just in case

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Originally Posted by sloinker
Use PayPal to insulate your credit card info in the future.

that's what i did. i double wrapped it just in case

Posting while influenced is not smart.

⬛ï¸â¬›ï¸â¬›ï¸

I agree with the other fellas. Close that card pronto and get a new card number issued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back