05 Toyota Highlander Motor Mount Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone replaced motor mounts on a 05 Toyota Highlander 3.3v6? 3 of the 4 are bad per my mechanic and he wants $450 in labor alone to change them out.

I can't any videos or info to the complexity of the work?

don't look too hard. found a couple of vids. you just need to jack the engine up to get the pressure off of the mounts and 3 lower bolts and one upper . might change the trans mount also

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhyMe
don't look too hard. found a couple of vids. you just need to jack the engine up to get the pressure off of the mounts and 3 lower bolts and one upper . might change the trans mount also
I found 1 video for the top passenger side mount. It's the only mount that is requires nothing but a 14 MM to change it out. Please share if you found something of value.

Originally Posted by dkryan
dja:

How many miles do you have on the Highlander?

98k. It spent all but 2 years in Chicago and the rust/decay is setting in.
frown.gif

Ah, that "Cook County Snow Removal and Ice Melting."

Also known as a "Jane Byrne Special"

And just in time for the timing belt replacement.

Good luck with the motor mounts.

How is the overall body structure holding up considering the Windy City winters?

All 4? At 98k?

Of all the Highlander's I've ever worked on (lots), I've never done a motor mount unless it was damaged. I HAVE done lots of the torque mounts (the one at the top, on the passenger side.

What symptoms are you having?

Originally Posted by 14Accent
All 4? At 98k?

Of all the Highlander's I've ever worked on (lots), I've never done a motor mount unless it was damaged. I HAVE done lots of the torque mounts (the one at the top, on the passenger side.

+1

Usually the top dogbone mount gets torn. This is most likely due to excessive movement from the front mount (the one nearest the radiator). So I usually recommend replacing the front mount and the dogbone mount together with OE parts.

I have never seen the other ones go bad, even at high mileage.

All 4? At 98k?

I was told by a mechanic. He rocked the car back while shut off and in park and had my watch the movement of the motor. He said that it could break or damage the radiator with the excess movement. The top mount (passenger side above the accessory belt is simple to swap out if that's the most common one to go.

Maybe just do the easy ones first, see if that does the trick, especially if the rest of the vehicle is not long for this world.

Originally Posted by The Critic
All 4? At 98k?

+1

Usually, the top dogbone mount gets torn. This is most likely due to excessive movement from the front mount (the one nearest the radiator). So I usually recommend replacing the front mount and the dogbone mount together with OE parts.

OE parts are not cheap! $200 for the front mount and $90 for the dogbone...

Originally Posted by dja4260
Originally Posted by The Critic
All 4? At 98k?

+1

Usually, the top dogbone mount gets torn. This is most likely due to excessive movement from the front mount (the one nearest the radiator). So I usually recommend replacing the front mount and the dogbone mount together with OE parts.

OE parts are not cheap! $200 for the front mount and $90 for the dogbone...

The alternative is to do the job multiple times with crummy aftermarket parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back