Rockauto Brake Rotors

I'm currently looking at replacing the brakes and rotors on my WRX. State inspection soon. I'm a bit surprised by the cost difference between Rockauto and the national chains. Anyone have good or bad experience with Rockauto coated rotors? I'm looking at the Raybestos brand.

I have their coated rotors on my 2014 Ford Edge. Factory rotors were rusted out on the inner face in less than 40,000 miles (and caused terrible pulsation when stopping from high speeds). Kept the original pads on and the inner face is still smooth and shiny since last July. The coated rotors are billed as Element 3 on RockAuto, although the box is still labeled RPT. The RPT is the same rotor as their R-line, just with the coating. The costing adds about $6 to the price of each rotor.

Absolutely no degradation of stopping power noticed with the product.

I have a set of Raybestos Element 3 coated rotors on an older Camry that I put on in October, and a newer Civic that got Powerstop Evolution Geomets this past spring.
So far both look great, if not almost new.

And at less than $20 each from RA, the prices are unbeatable.

The only ones on Rock I would buy are the ACDelco severe duty. Consider DBA and EBC also.

ACDelco 18A82044SD Rears
ACDelco 18A2350SD Fronts

Have had Raybestos rotors from Rockauto in the rear of my Hyundai since 2011 or so. No complaints.

Last edited:
Someone else on here just posted a complaint about Raybestos coated rotors not lasting very long
crazy2.gif

My first choice would be the Power Stop Geomet coated rotors.

Originally Posted by Trav
The only ones on Rock I would buy are the ACDelco severe duty. Consider DBA and EBC also.

ACDelco 18A82044SD Rears
ACDelco 18A2350SD Fronts

The ACDelco SD are reboxed Raybestos R300 rotors (they are listed in a different section on Rock Auto-, but you can tell they are the same, identical wavy pattern on the rotors
The problem is that Raybestos doesn't coat the inside of the hat
mad.gif

Centric, Wagner, and Powerstop *do* coat the inside hat
smile.gif

EBC is good, though. DBA is really expensive

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
What about Centric Preimum?

I'm not familiar with that brand.

January a year ago I purchased from RockAuto the Raybestos 980032FZN "Element 3" rotors, and I received the older Raybestos RPT rotors. I called Raybestos and they said the Element 3's didn't exist for my application yet, they were still rolling them out, but I did have their higher quality coated rotors. So I installed them anyway, along with Raybestos EHT865H pads.

I have micrometers, dial indicators and standards, and know how to use them. The rotors checked out to spec for parallelism and I had no problem dialing them in to practically zero runout on the back of my Honda Pilot. I broke them in properly, both inside (I also put on new parking brake shoes) and outside (Raybestos pads) and there was no issues with noise or braking power.

Then I immediately sold the Pilot, so I cannot report on long-term rust or longevity.

I would try them again, but I cannot recommend installing any brand of rotors unless the hubs are cleaned, the rotors are installed to factory specs, as verified with measuring equipment, and the proper type of lubricants are used on the proper areas.

RA's prices are great, cheaper even after shipping, BUT for brake rotors quality varies + even brand names are chinese cast, BUT alas theres EBC cast + machined in UK with higher carbon content, their pads are UK or USA so they are my choice bought at the best price i can find + surely a WRX should have better brakes IMO, more go + more whoa!!!

Originally Posted by 928
coat them yourself- clean well with brake clean or acetone first, then use a couple of coats of this-

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...ps-rust/cold-galvanizing-compound-spray/

meant for severe use suitable for outdoors- around $7- per can available at your local Home Depot

Thats a great idea. Assume you can just brake off any overspray onto the rotor surface? And what if there is some existing rust?

Originally Posted by 928
coat them yourself- clean well with brake clean or acetone first, then use a couple of coats of this-

meant for severe use suitable for outdoors- around $7- per can available at your local Home Depot

That stuff is for guard rails not brake rotors exposed to high temperature heat cycles. At least use caliper paint if you want to go that route.

Originally Posted by 928

Hmmm, not interested in masking the pad surface or the hub to rotor interface.
But probably good stuff for a chain link fence...

I agree with the price difference fairly minor. I see no need to prep and spray them yourself.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
What about Centric Preimum?

They are fine. Had them on my old car. Centric is the parent company of Stoptech. APC Automotive fairly recently bought Centric.

If Wagner offers coated rotors for your WRX I would use them, I put a set on the 06 Forester and really like them with Raybestos EHT pads for great stopping power and good looks. The coating has gone through a few salty winters and still looks great. Coated Wagners cost a little more but they are worth it.

Ordered a set of raybestos coated from Rock Auto for the fronts on the Explorer. The price was lower than any retail chain would touch on the same product. No issues with delivery, install, or in use. Not on long enough to comment on rust protection. I will note a set of oated AC Delco's on the rear have been on the Explorer for a long time and still look new for the most part. Quite an achievement given how most rotors look quickly in the salt here...

I have had rotors/ drums from rock auto for a few different vehicles over the years ,all is good

Back