Oil Honda Goldwing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Motul 300V 10W40 suitable for Honda Goldwing or better Motul 7100 10W40.
I read that Motul 300V is only suitable for racing.

Honda Goldwing Gl1800, 2014 year, 2000 mileage.

Last edited:
I'm running 300V 4T in our four sportbikes. Two have been raced, the other two just street riding or trackdays. I prefer how the bikes run and shift using the 300V 4T, over the 7100. I know several people who use 300V 4T in bikes that only see street use. So I'd say try it and then you can decide for yourself if you like it or not.

Its been awhile but the guys over in the goldwing forums have run hundreds of thousands of miles on Rotella 10w30..but i havent kept up with it.

No harm running 300V, however the Gold Wing is farthest from the bike I would consider running that stuff in. It goes without saying, and is well-known around here, 300V is a full race bred motorcycle engine oil. It starts at the lower end of the 40 wt scale in terms of viscosity, which there's nothing wrong in and of itself with that, just a bit more to share about it.

I would run the 7100 and be done with it if you are set on that oil brand.

Or run any of the just as capable oils (Rotella, Rotella and Rotella as examples) you can find on the shelf at Walmart that have been mentioned in the past 20 years. A Gold Wing is easy on the oil, don't over think or over engineer this choice.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Sportage333444
What mileage can be done on 300V oil.
Can you leave it for the winter in a motorcycle?

All four of our sportbikes have it in the sump over winter. One is in my office, and the others are in a heated garage that doesn't get colder than 45° F.

As mentioned, lots of people use HD oils like Rotella, Delo, etc. Those oils will certainly work, but I've found that the bikes just don't run or in particular shift as well using them, as they do using the 300V 4T. I could certainly save some money using Rotella in the bikes, but the trade-off in how my bikes run just isn't worth it to me.

Last edited:
Is Motul 300V 10W40 suitable for Honda Goldwing or better Motul 7100 10W40.
I read that Motul 300V is only suitable for racing.

Honda Goldwing Gl1800, 2014 year, 2000 mileage.

You've got a six year old touring bike with 2000 miles? That would be sweet!

I agree about shift quality and the oil a person chooses seems to be part of that equation WAY more than any difference in wear protection. Notchier shifting and even finding a false neutral are no bueno.

For a 5,000 mile Kawasaki recommended OCI with my 2001 ZRX 1200, Mobil 1 10w40 4T or Mobil 1 20w 50 V-Twin do well for eliminating any poor shifting in my experience.

There is no Shell Rotella in my country.
Available oils are:
- Motul 300V 10w40
- Motul 7100 10W40
- Motul 7100 10W30
- AMSOIL 10W30 MCT
- AMSOIL 10W40 MCF
- BelRay 10W40
- ENEOS MAX Performance 10W40
- SHELL ADVANCE 4T 10W40 AX-7

Yes the motorcycle is 2,000 miles, I bought it at the IaaI auction.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
My first question is: What weight of oil (i.e. 10W30 10W40 20W50 etc.) does your Honda Owners Manual say is required or best alternate for your bike? The manufacture brand used is a personal preference. Of course Honda wants you to use their oil.......

Recommended Engine Oil:
Pro Honda GN4 4 stroke oil (USA and Canada) or equivalent motorcycle oil.
API service classification: SG or Higher (except oils labeled as energy conserving on the circular API service label)
JASO T 903 standard: MA
Viscosity: SAE 10W-30

From the forum information, a lot of users use Mobil1 10w40. This oil does not exist in my country.
I can buy either Motula 300V 10w40 or AMSOIL 10W40.
I just don't know which is better. The price of these oils in my country is the same.

I love this motorcycle and I want the best oil for it.
blush.gif

You can always call a Honda Dealer and see what they use, recommend or have in stock. I'm sure there is a Honda dealer in Warsaw, Krakow or Gdansk.

Race oils generally don't put a premium on TBN level as they're changed out every race. Unless you have a VOA that says otherwise, I'd be hesitant to leave 300V in the bike over the winter or for any extended period.

You have opinions now on two threads, under two user names, with the same question.

In my opinion, Amsoil is not better than Motul 300V 4T.

Is it better than Motul 7100? I'd say the Amsoil is closer to the 7100.

Maybe someone will say the exact opposite. Try them and decide for yourself. What else are you hoping to hear?

I had to set up a new user because I was called a troll and the account was blocked.
I do not know why. I have been browsing this forum for 8 years.
I just wanted to get feedback on the AMSOIL oil that was on sale in my country.
And nobody has information about him. Everyone praises him and I have been riding Motul all the time and I have no comparison.

Motul says 300V has a TBN of 8.3. So it's hardly a 'race-only' oil.

Here's a thought - if you cannot find good information/opinions on Amsoil, then buy some and try it! Form your own opinions.

There is no Shell Rotella in my country.
Available oils are:
- Motul 300V 10w40
- Motul 7100 10W40
- Motul 7100 10W30
- AMSOIL 10W30 MCT
- AMSOIL 10W40 MCF
- BelRay 10W40
- ENEOS MAX Performance 10W40
- SHELL ADVANCE 4T 10W40 AX-7

Yes the motorcycle is 2,000 miles, I bought it at the IaaI auction.

[Linked Image]

I guess I haven't seen the new GWs for a while. Where is the fairing and all of the bags? Did Honda quit making the touring versions of this bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back