Wix UOA 2016 5.3 Ecotec with Napa 0w20 HIGH Titanium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wix report says all wear levels are acceptable but I pulled a Blackstone report for the same engine and titanium levels were typically under 2ppm mine is at 35ppm. What is going on? Everything else seemed to be in acceptable limits compared to the blackstone. This has got me worried the engine only has 65000 miles on it and just out of warranty. It had Napa 0w20 full syn in it for 3050 miles with napa platinum filter when I had the oil analysis done. Now it has castrol magnatec 0w20.

1578310968653_1578310932308_1578310931753_1578310926152_Capture.JPG

Why would you be worried about high titanium? It is an anti-wear agent. What were some of your other oils used in the past, it's 100% carried over from something you added to your crankcase, there is nothing in your engine that will show titanium on its own on a UOA. This is why, if you read more on this website, it is good to have a VOA done on the virgin oil before you use it, so that you do not freak out on the UOA results unnecessarily.

One oil analysis is not worthy of big assumptions. As stated above Ti is not a wear metal in your engine.

Silicon is interesting, generally due to air filtration.

Your next UOA will likely be very different...

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. I was loosing coolant and could not find a leak (may be coolant resivoir cap). Plus I saw metal shavings on the dip stick so I was concerned about the engine health hence the uoa. I believe the metal shavings were caused by the dipstick rubbing on the dipstick tube now that I have checked the oil and filter, but I sent out for an oil analysis for good measure.

I thought alloys containing titanium were used used in valves and connecting rods, so it did concern me. Are you sure there are not titanium alloys in a 5.3 ecotec?

Guy before who owned the truck before me had a k&n on it so maybe from that? I got rid of it pretty quick and went back to stock. This would have been the first oil change since then.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Why would you be worried about high titanium? It is an anti-wear agent. What were some of your other oils used in the past, it's 100% carried over from something you added to your crankcase, there is nothing in your engine that will show titanium on its own on a UOA. This is why, if you read more on this website, it is good to have a VOA done on the virgin oil before you use it, so that you do not freak out on the UOA results unnecessarily.

Was wondering , what was a friction material in that engine , that was made from titanium ? So , you are saying , nothing is ?

Thanks , :)

I have done at least a dozen UOA's on my 14 Sierra 5.3 Ecotec3 engine and have never had titanium show up. I have always used Mobil 1 which doesn't have titanium in it's add pack (at least not in the standard formulations). If there were titanium components in the engine that could wear, I would have probably seen it by now.

There are some engines from GM that have titanium in them (LS7 7.0L has titanium rods), but the 5.3 is not one of them. Agree, you should be more worried about high silicon and 7ppm Fe/1k miles than an oil additive. Start with a new, high efficiency paper filter (OEM should be fine) and make sure your airbox, intake tube, and throttle body are all seated well together and the clamps are tight.

You may contact dnewton3 to see if he has some trending for the 5.3, as 7ppm/1k for iron sounds a little high for your engine, but I was spoiled by the 1.1ppm/1k results I was getting from my 2011 Fusion. And yes, one data point is nothing to get all crazy about. Get 3 UOAs minimum, and start watching the averages for your engine that form. Variances of 5-10ppm up and down between two tests is not cause for alarm... but 5-7 consecutive tests with increases probably would be.

The new add pack for Valvoline oils is a step-up. That's why I;m trying it now in my Hyundai. Nice to see very similar add-pack used in NAPA oils too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back