Kreen Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if there was any harm in keeping Kreen in my oil for 5000-6000 miles? The reason being I just changed my oil and my first bottle of Kreen just arrived -- I'm too impatient to wait until I'm closer to my OCI! I understand the Kreen burns off quickly but the carbon deposits will be in my oil/filter for a while. I recently changed the valve covers on my vehicle and while there was some sludge (at 170k miles) it was not terrible.

Thanks!
Cyrus

I would not go over 3k, some people suggest 1k. I would run a grade heavier oil to offset how thin kreen is.

Originally Posted by atikovi
They say it works for the first 1,000 miles before it's used up. You could do the next change at 3K depending on how dirty the dipstick looks.

Trav has mentioned on one thread that one can use a small amount every month as it doesn't stay, it gets used up. My question was related to the ignored vehicle of unknown deposits. At the end, I use (6oz in a 3 qt crankcase) it a month before OCI

Thank you all for your answers. I am running M1 5w30 HM and it is reasonably thick. I will evaluate my oil at 1k and 3k miles and change if appropriate. For what it's worth, I have also emailed Kano Labs and will post their response in this thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Propflux01
My question is, Is Kreen still a 'recommended' cleaner on this forum?

Any reason it wouldn't be? I searched the forum for bad reviews/press and barely came up with anything.

Originally Posted by cfmistry

Any reason it wouldn't be? I searched the forum for bad reviews/press and barely came up with anything.

I just remember a time when another cleaner was all the rage and turned out to be nothing in a can. Not knocking the product, in fact, rather intrigued by it. Especially for use in a GDI engine.

Kano Lab products are very good and I love them. Kroil is hands-down the best penetrating oil - have done tests myself vs. others. You can trust their products and their product usage guidelines/instructions.

I am running M1 5w30 HM and it is reasonably thick

I don't think so - last time I checked the HTHS was 3.1 or 3.2, about average for the grade. In Maryland, I would use the M1 10w-30HM, the HTHS is 3.5 and is much more climate-appropriate.

It provided some results for my Nissan but I don't think anything will help my issues. I did a piston soak with it over Xmas and haven't driven the car enough to see if it actually worked. I still added some oil at 700 miles but not as much as usual.

To the OP:
Why not drain and save your new oil. Replace with X quarts of basic conventional and run the Kreen in that.

All you'll lose is the Mobil1 in the filter now.

This is another good reason to own a spouted drain pan.

I just used shell from menards and Quaker state filters for a couple of short runs after the piston soak. I also sacrificed a cheap set of autolites to save my $20 a piece ngk's. After that I changed the oil to rotella gas truck and an ac delco filter and sent the car back to Illinois with my son today. 5hrs @80 will tell if the soak made a difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
To the OP:
Why not drain and save your new oil. Replace with X quarts of basic conventional and run the Kreen in that.

All you'll lose is the Mobil1 in the filter now.

This is another good reason to own a spouted drain pan.

If you're gonna be that cheap, you will also drain the oil out of the filter.
lol.gif

I just remember a time when another cleaner was all the rage and turned out to be nothing in a can. Not knocking the product, in fact, rather intrigued by it. Especially for use in a GDI engine.

And what cleaner was that...lol!
Of all the "Snakeoil" additives our there, KREEN happens to be the real deal....

I think you are talking about auto-rx. Kreen is different. Auto-rx was supposed to be an ester , slow cleaning product. I never used it. I have used kreen. It definatly is a solvent. and i have used it in saturns. One in particular was very clean on teardown at 185k.

Originally Posted by spasm3

I think you are talking about auto-rx. Kreen is different. Auto-rx was supposed to be an ester , slow cleaning product. I never used it. I have used kreen. It definatly is a solvent. and i have used it in saturns. One in particular was very clean on teardown at 185k.

Yup, which seems now to be a very taboo subject on here now. I was provided some for use in a motorcycle in exchange for a review. I noticed nothing from it.

I am still interested if this Kreen would be good in a GDI vehicle. What I understand is part of the issue with certain engines not being friendly with GDI is rings getting carboned up.

I am still interested if this Kreen would be good in a GDI vehicle. What I understand is part of the issue with certain engines not being friendly with GDI is rings getting carboned up.

I don't know about rings, but on models without a port injector, GDI intake valves get dirty from pcv vapors, with no fuel going across them to keep them clean.

After using Kreen on many vehicles here we concluded that it can clean the entire PCV tract very well as it evaporates from the sump during operation.

Seems to me to be an easy jump to it cleaning a DI engine's intake valves....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back