Yamaha Kodiak drive belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple ATVs, 2 are Kodiak 450's and one is a grizzly 550, both automatic with drive belts.

I have never had the belt cases apart as I know the belt's in Yamaha's are pretty reliable but I think sometime this next summer I'm going to inspect them for wear.

Just something I have noticed between the Kodiaks, they are both about the same age, maybe a year apart, and the one I've owned (well partial owner with my parents), has a slight delay to get it to move, like a clutch engaging slower.

The one I bought more recent does not have the delayed clutch release like the other, now mileage wise, the more recent one has under 2000 miles on it while the other has about 5600 miles on it, but the lower mileage one has a lot more hours (came with a plow so guessing it was mainly used for plowing a small drive way and not ridden long distances).

Anyways, not having to do any belt maintenance on any of these machines yet I've come to believe that the higher mileage kodiak has a slower engagement because the belt is worn narrow and out of spec.

Has anyone here noticed a slower engagement of their belt drive on there atvs (any make) and was it solved with a new belt?

thanks.

This video explains how to change the belt. You can ignore the shim kit mod bit. I wouldn't add a shim kit myself to make the machine slower.

There is also going to be lots of dust in there... which increases wear on everything. You are better off cleaning and inspecting everything sooner instead of later if you plan on long clutch and belt life.

Also you need to look for oil seal leaks etc during routine cleaning and inspections.

If it were mine i would just plan on installing a new belt and cleaning.

Alright so the issue i found was there was a dead mouse inside the cover and some nest etc. The belt wasnt bad but changed it anyways.

I took the front drive apart to clean out the fur debris etc and all the old grease. The grease was dark gray etc. I put in grease that i had which was hi temp with moly. Put it back together and there didn't seem to ve much difference.

So i did more searching and found there is a specific grease for the clutch weights so today i took it all back apart and cleaned everything out real good and reassembled witb the right grease i got from the dealer and it definitely engages faster now. I'm guessing the other grease is to thick causing the weights to drag/delay when being thrown out.

So apparently the right grease makes a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back