'18 Dodge Hellcat SRT 707hp, new 4 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what my kids would do with a 707 hp car! I know what I would have done, as a teenager...
I would have given him 10k for the Challenger!

nice car! the ZF transmission is good; some dont like the hunt/shifting; but other than that....

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by A_Harman
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
And You would give it to his kid when he can drive if his does good in school and his grades are good ! ?

Hopefully the kid's grades are good and he's smarter than his dad and he will refuse - or -
take it and trade it for a Chevy Equinox and put the balance in a IRA.

Awh, let the kid have some fun.

The kid will make his own fun. I used to get in plenty of trouble with my dad's 92-horsepower Vega when I first got my license. Turning a kid loose in a 700-hp beast is lunacy.

Yea but that Vega didn't have Electronic Stability Program, Anti Lock brakes and a half dozen airbags. Insurance will be the biggest issue with that car and a kid driver.

The idealist in me would hope that the Dad is trying to teach his son how to drive. The son will never learn how to drive if he has electronic nannies keeping him out of trouble. He'll just be "lead passenger"; the human that happens to be sitting behind the wheel that punches the gas and jerks the wheel while the onboard computer sorts out the mess.

Last edited:
A coworker just traded in her SRT Challenger for a Hellcat Charger. One of these days she's gonna give us a ride in it, looking forward to that.

He should have kept the V6 Challenger and parked it, then gave it to the son.

Some kids have been brought up around high performance vehicles. They have been taught how to operate them, and have a good understanding and respect for the machines and public roads.

Not every kid is clueless with a learners permit.

Let's just hope the young man doesn't become another statistic and his tragedy is not used to implement more "racing" laws. Like it happened in Ontario and some states are implementing them now.

Giving a young man such a machine to operate is always a bad idea no matter his grades or supposed smarts. Hormones bypass the brain.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Some kids have been brought up around high performance vehicles. They have been taught how to operate them, and have a good understanding and respect for the machines and public roads.

Not every kid is clueless with a learners permit.

Yep, I was driving a Semi at 18. Off road buggies at 13. Started on dirt bikes at 10.
My Dad let me drive anything and everything he could.

I think the OP wanted more replies about the car than the kid. I think the kid part was just added in but the replies are almost all about the kid and how it might not turn out so well. The kid comments took over the whole thread so far.
lol.gif

The idealist in me would hope that the Dad is trying to teach his son how to drive. The son will never learn how to drive if he has electronic nannies keeping him out of trouble. He'll just be "lead passenger"; the human that happens to be sitting behind the wheel that punches the gas and jerks the wheel while the onboard computer sorts out the mess.

When self driving cars become the majority, that won't even matter. Kids these days don't even care about driving like the previous generations. They're just interested in phones.

When self driving cars become the majority, that won't even matter. Kids these days don't even care about driving like the previous generations. They're just interested in phones.

I have to agree about not caring about driving. The girlfriend's 17 year old son has no desire to get his license let alone drive any sort of vehicle.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
He owns the laundromat or uses it?
laugh.gif

This! We need some clarification.

And You would give it to his kid when he can drive if his does good in school and his grades are good ! ?

Hopefully the kid's grades are good and he's smarter than his dad and he will refuse - or -

The kid will make his own fun. I used to get in plenty of trouble with my dad's 92-horsepower Vega when I first got my license. Turning a kid loose in a 700-hp beast is lunacy.

Cool, Yes.

I got my dad's 74 Vega Gt in 77 when he was done with it
Last of the Polyglas bias play tires,

You could toss that thing silly sideways in to corners and recover easily.

Manual steering was a bit heavy. That was still recirc ball back then - -which I prefer over the poorly done power R&P like today.

Nice interior in the GT. Sort of like a scaled down Z28

[Linked Image]

Cool, Yes.

I got my dad's 74 Vega Gt in 77 when he was done with it
Last of the Polyglas bias play tires,

You could toss that thing silly sideways in to corners and recover easily.

Manual steering was a bit heavy. That was still recirc ball back then - -which I prefer over the poorly done power R&P like today.

Nice interior in the GT. Sort of like a scaled down Z28

[Linked Image]

Yes, the Chevy Vega. The Harman family had something like 8 Vegas over the years. I got my first ticket (for drag racing) in a V8 Vega that my brother and I built. My brother still has that one. My go-to-college car was a '75 that I later upgraded to almost GT spec by putting sway bars on it. I have also owned a couple of Cosworth-Vegas; a '75 in black, and a '76 in firethorn red. I still have the '75. I could go on and on...

I thought the Hellcat was a hot model? Why couldn't they have sold it by now? Pink?

I have a friend who is 53, female, lives in a very wealthy town in CT who drives one....well....because she can. I'm sure the ladies at the country club balk or maybe they just take the Bentley. She's not the typical demographic so if she has one they can't be that hard to sell.

Originally Posted by Kira
A guy I know bought this yesterday. I will swing by today but we have a "scheduled viewing" tomorrow.
It features a supercharged 6.2l engine and a fluffed up list of options.
I hear the 8 speed transmission (ZF, no?) is good.
$75,815 sticker. A search suggested ~$61,000 for this leftover.

Ohh, he did text that the dealership "gave him" $9,000 in trade-in for his '16 V6 Challenger. I'm afraid to ask how much he paid / financed.

He plans on handing it down to his son if he keeps his grades up. The lad just turned 14.

A speed machine as a daily driver....in northern New Jersey? Not my choice.

Just got a text. He's at the laundramat on Main St. now. I think I'll go visit.

4 miles on the car? Time for a UOA.

Let's hope daddy's insurance company has more sense than he does.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
I thought the Hellcat was a hot model? Why couldn't they have sold it by now? Pink?

She's not the typical demographic so if she has one they can't be that hard to sell.

A pink one? Really?

Yes, the Chevy Vega. The Harman family had something like 8 Vegas over the years. I got my first ticket (for drag racing) in a V8 Vega that my brother and I built. My brother still has that one. My go-to-college car was a '75 that I later upgraded to almost GT spec by putting sway bars on it. I have also owned a couple of Cosworth-Vegas; a '75 in black, and a '76 in firethorn red. I still have the '75. I could go on and on...

Funny I - with a lot pf trouble - fit a Chevy 327 econorail engine into the '74 later when it stated burning oil.
Used a don hardy kit , vette radiator, moved the heater core, non narrowed 10 bolt posi from a Z28, Junkyard rebuild TH350 with shift kit,
semi fenderwall headers with maremont header muffs with turnout under the door.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

and still Manual steering
smile.gif

Thinking back, It Would have been better to go with IECO Turbo on the aluminum 4 cammer and a super T10

I hear the oil burning was bad material on the valve stem seals - NOT the hypereutectic block -

if it wasn't overheated,

Wow Cosworth Vega. Rare beast!

I think it's awesome we live in a time where cars can be sold with this much HP from the factory with a warranty. With that said I sadly don't even get to use the ~230hp my BMW makes on a daily basis. Fast cars are fun, but only a couple seconds of throttle can get you jail time these days.
frown.gif

When I purchased my 2000 Trans Am with 305 hp...I remember salivating over the Ram air one...boosted hp to 340 (I think). Never thought I would see a 700+ hp production vehicle with warranty. Good times.

My 5 year old makes me laugh when he says he wants to learn to drive in the Hellcat. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back