Anybody have or drive a box truck? Does it have a spare tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specifically a truck with dual rear wheels. I would like to add a spare and looking for ideas where to store it. Mounting it under the vehicle would be difficult and just putting one in the box loose, is too cheap.

Virtually all companies don't want their company drivers changing a flat on the road. There are commercial tire company's that will change out a flat 24/7/365. I'm a semi mechanic.
The steer tires, drive tires and trailer tires are all different. Most box trucks have steer tires and drive tires which don't match.

They are the same all around for my E450. Who wants to wait around for a tire company and then spend $300+ for a new tire and a service call when you could carry your own spare and change it in 15 minutes.

My F-450 didn't come with one, picked up a junkyard one and mounted it in the front of the service body. Couple of oak blocks, 20 ton bottle jack, truck cross wrench from AAP, good to go. I'm not waiting 2-3 hours & spending $200-300 on roadside assistance, no way. Although I haven't needed it-yet...

I've considered it for my E450 since all 6 of the wheels are the same. Had the truck for over 5 years without a flat.

My truck did come with Michelin LTX tires that were recalled for tread separations, but I was unaware until it happened to the inside left rear tire driving 65mph. Never lost air and I was able to limp it home at low speed and take care of it there so I didn't have to call for help. I did get 6 new tires out of the trouble.

[Linked Image]

My work truck is a leased 24' Flatbed. When I have a flat they send out a tire service to change it out.

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
could always mount it to a bracket right in front of the vehicle in front of the grill like the old RV's and camper specials
wink.gif

Ain't messing up the look of the front end after just installing a brand new chrome bumper, chrome grille and flush headlights.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Aren't those lugs tightened down to like 42 guttentights? Is that something you can actually a) loosen on the side of the road, b) lift the vehicle up despite being on dirt, c) reinstall said lugs to same tightness?

140 lb. ft. Just picked up a wheel with a very good Firestone tire on Craigslist for only $40. Will get one of these mounting brackets for $12.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Ah. I must be thinking of other trucks. I thought I'd seen some UHauls with stickers saying something like 450 ft-lbs or the like. Maybe that was for the real big models.

Do you have a 22mm lug wrench+torque wrench?
Do you a bottle jack, jack stand and wheel chocks?
What if the wheel is froze on especially one of the rears?

used to run 15 of those types in my previous life. never had a spare for any of them. never wanted the driver to change it themselves. too much liabilty . when we had a flat , which was very rare, we jsut call the local tire place and they sent a truck out .

i once tired taking off the lugs of one and they were on tight tire guys just bang them on with a gun and call it good. Do the fords need a special socket for the rear?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordFocus
Do you have a 22mm lug wrench+torque wrench?
Do you a bottle jack, jack stand and wheel chocks?
What if the wheel is froze on especially one of the rears?

Yes I have a bottle jack.
Don't need jack stands for changing a tire
I'm not in the rust belt.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
used to run 15 of those types in my previous life. never had a spare for any of them. never wanted the driver to change it themselves. too much liabilty . when we had a flat , which was very rare, we jsut call the local tire place and they sent a truck out .

i once tired taking off the lugs of one and they were on tight tire guys just bang them on with a gun and call it good. Do the fords need a special socket for the rear?

What liability? The driver is the owner.

Obviously you have never changed a tire on a fully loaded box truck.

That's why most go with the service. They have the proper equipment.

I owned several Medium duty box trucks at one time. And HDT's as well. No spares, and they never had a flat. They were all required to do a pre-trip inspection. The liability of having my drivers trying to change a tire, was less appealing than having them call a mobile tire repair service if necessary.

These are 16 inch tires for heavens sake, not some 18 wheeler tires. This country is getting too soft when you have to call someone to change a tire. What happens when you have to chain up? Call someone for that too?

So in that spirit: Maybe make a decision for yourself, rather than asking a bunch of strangers what you should do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back