So these Raybestos coated rotors are working great (NOT)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by skyactiv
German made coated Zimmerman rotors fair much better in my experience.

I've had good luck with coated Zimmerman's too. "Z Coated", or something like that. Too lazy to look.

Scott

Are the Zimmerman ones the color of galvanized?

They're iron and "coated" rotors is a marketing ploy. Iron rusts no matter what or how much "coating" is there.

Coated rotors are a scam. Coated. Rotors. are. A. Scam.

You want coated rotors? then just tape the brake pad surface and soak them in lemon juice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Coated rotors are a scam. Coated. Rotors. are. A. Scam.

You want coated rotors? then just tape the brake pad surface and soak them in lemon juice.

Whatever. I know what the condition was like, of my coated front rotors versus my uncoated rear rotors after a few years of service. Not a scam for me.

I have observed that Zimmerman discs resist rusting extremely well. Conversely, I have noted that Brembo discs which provide excellent braking rust very quickly.

It's not very important though, it only takes two or three gentle applications of brake pressure and all the rust is gone.

I'm more concerned that my brakes stop my vehicle, and not overly concerned if the disc surface shows surface rust or not, so tend to purchase brakes with the best braking.

By coincidence, I have seen advertisement today for the new rust-resistant discs from Meyle.
Meyle are trusted and respected in Europe for being the OEM for most euro makes - they have introduced what they call ‘platinum discs' coated to resist rust.
I'll try them next time I need discs, and report back with findings.

I've seen other photos here of these looking much better. Whenever somebody recommends coated rotors, 90% of the time these are it.

Did you get a bad batch?

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by SLO_Town

I've had good luck with coated Zimmerman's too. "Z Coated", or something like that. Too lazy to look.

Scott

Are the Zimmerman ones the color of galvanized?

Looks like Zimmerman only makes rotors for a small set of vehicles.

My RPTs (now Element3) installed Oct of last year, look significantly better than that, including hats, rotor edges and what I can see of veins. I'll post an update with pics on my original thread after next DT rotation. While I'm sure we don't get as many rainy days as you, over the last year since installed, we've had much more rain than usual. Not much salt other occasional liquid brine road treatment in winter. And rotors still functioning properly, no pulsation. I'm satisfied. That said, based on pics I understand you looking for another option next time. Thanks for the update.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Meh, where I live they salt the roads just in CASE it might snow, and I've never felt coated rotors were worth the extra cost. Then again I don't drive like a madman, and don't tow down long, steep hills. If I did it might matter more.

My only real concern is that they don't rust-weld themselves to hubs, so I always use grease or anti-seize and clean up the hub before a new rotor.

Here in MN cleaning between the rust off the hub is a pain too. Cars should come with coated hubs!!! LOL

Is there a consensus on what's the best sort of anti-rust coating to look for? I've seen: clear, silver (zinc), and black styles. If these anti-rust coatings don't even work that well in salted environments it might be cheaper to just get standard steel rotors and replace them with every brake job.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Years back I would paint rotors and calipers before installation with rustoleum. It seemed to work well.

Same here and it held up better than today's "coated" rotors.

From what I've experienced, the hat stays prettier for longer on coated rotors is about it.

These days I just buy white box whatevers and swap them out when I need to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I've seen other photos here of these looking much better. Whenever somebody recommends coated rotors, 90% of the time these are it.

Did you get a bad batch?

I don't think these are the Raybestos "Element" to be honest.

I see on their website they list two coating types or more, and this was the "lower" tier. Maybe just a guy in a Chinese sweatshop chain-smoking while waving a spray-paint can...

So, not the "best in brakes" as they say?

Love my coated rotors. Direct from the manufacturer.

Made in the USA.

NA Rotor Blanchard Ground.JPG

NA Miata Rear Rotor (2).JPG

Meyle, Bosch, Textar, and Raybestos are all the same. The level of coating may be different, but they are all packaged exactly the same way, along with Akebono, which has the Zinc coating. Bagged in a branded bag, then 2 layers of cardboard, and the same box. Ive had multiple brands side by side and I cannot tell a difference.

It's been a few years since I've needed rotors, but I'm surprised Zimmerman hasn't moved their manufacturing to Asia like everyone else.

With Balo having disappeared, I shifted to Zimmerman last time, and found them equally as good. Hope that doesn't change.

Originally Posted by nobb
Is there a consensus on what's the best sort of anti-rust coating to look for? I've seen: clear, silver (zinc), and black styles. If these anti-rust coatings don't even work that well in salted environments it might be cheaper to just get standard steel rotors and replace them with every brake job.

After a lot of research, my plan when I installed these was to just get any good quality rotor and then spray it with Zinc spray paint. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/RUST-OLEUM-COld-Galvanizing-Compound-16oz/dp/B00173757K

I know skippers here in the PNW who use this on their props and shafts and it holds up just as long as the high-dollar anti-fouling specialty paints for that job. People also report great success with it on rotors, etc. If it can sit in salt water for a year or three and hold up, it will work fine on my rotors.
wink.gif
The reason I didn't do that was a) I found these coated Rotors at a good price and b) I also had to replace a LCA on the car which went south FAST, so I had enough work to do and decided to trust the coating and not take the time to spray the rotors a few times and let cure. Mistake.

Next time I will get coated rotors if price-competitive, but I will also use the cold galvanizing on top of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andyd
Looks like every rotor and caliper on any of my cars. Its ugly but not service affecting.
grin2.gif

Kind of what I was thinking . Never worried about it , but , then , I live in a semi-arid climate . Not the rust / salt belt , Thank God ! :)

In fact , I was kind of wondering why anyone would coat rotors ? Kind of like painting calipers to make them look sporty / high performance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back