Recent Topics
New to the LS460 and The World Of Lexus. Questions!
by gr8gatzby - 02/27/20 08:41 AM
New old guy back.
by BJD2020 - 02/27/20 07:45 AM
Help me Decide
by Gebo - 02/27/20 07:36 AM
FWD - Death traps with miss matched tires.
by Fordiesel69 - 02/27/20 07:13 AM
Napa Gold Sale
by Toto - 02/27/20 06:52 AM
2016 or 17 Honda CR-V
by Loogie - 02/27/20 05:20 AM
RIP Clive Cussler
by PimTac - 02/27/20 04:48 AM
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Allseason PLUS "II"
by Char Baby - 02/27/20 03:31 AM
CCI clean .22 ammo - polymer coated HV
by Shannow - 02/27/20 03:23 AM
5w-20 vs 5w-30
by joel95ex - 02/26/20 10:59 PM
Need help d/l'ing vids from JVC GZ-MG27
by daves66nova - 02/26/20 10:18 PM
Need a riding mower
by FirstNissan - 02/26/20 08:32 PM
Just bot Quicken 2020 Premier for
by Ed_T - 02/26/20 08:31 PM
Corona Virus and Car Sales?
by Vern_in_IL - 02/26/20 07:34 PM
Emblem Adhesive Recommendation
by Fitz98 - 02/26/20 07:18 PM
Drain Plug Washer Frozen to Oil Pan
by CrackyWainwright - 02/26/20 06:31 PM
ams OE 0/20 6100 mi 14 KIA 2.4L GDI
by pair of Blazers - 02/26/20 06:17 PM
Any Exotic Brand Dealership Mechanics Here?
by john_pifer - 02/26/20 06:14 PM
Sentra no start
by Aredeeem - 02/26/20 06:07 PM
Newest Members
Scotts994Runner, Bu33leGutz, splitthebreak, shadango, JimNastic316
70808 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
91 registered members (Alfred_B, 4WD, Ag76, AndyB, ABerns, alchargo, 11 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics301,976
Posts5,206,775
Members70,808
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 5 6
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: alarmguy] #5312909 01/04/20 08:09 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,433
C
caprice_2nv Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,433
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by terry274
Google has a vested interest to NOT sell your information. They sell advertisements paid for by companys directed to you based on the information they have about you. If the advertisers could get the information Google has about you, they would not need Google. So, yes Google collects a lot of information but they don't sell it.
In short, Google is rich because they sell advertisements, not personal information.
If you believe they are selling personal information, please find me ONE instance of that. One verifiable case of Google selling anyone's personal information.


You way over simplify, and that is ok. Like I said, if you dont care about google knowing all about you, beyond the fact of the data they collect from your email messages and what you search for, more like how your mind works, EVEN WHERE ON YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN WHERE YOU MOVE YOUR MOUSE, accumulating information of your children, family in return for free use of their stuff, hey that is fine. Maybe, maybe the word selling is over stated, Ill look more into that but I suspect you are correct in that they do not actually sell it, they use it and they do share it with other companies to process it.

Maybe more like UC50 states might be more accurate then the word sell, I think you maybe right on the word sell.
I would challenge anyone to actually read their privacy statement, its pretty darn creepy to me but again, to each his own.

Google Statements =
--"For example, we collect information about views and interactions with ads so we can provide aggregated reports to advertisers, like telling them whether we served their ad on a page and whether the ad was likely seen by a viewer. We may also measure other interactions, such as how you move your mouse over an ad or if you interact with the page on which the ad appears."

--"If you use our services to make and receive calls or send and receive messages, we may collect telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, receiving-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls and messages, duration of calls, routing information, and types of calls."

--"We may also collect information about you from trusted partners, including marketing partners who provide us with information about potential customers of our business services, and security partners who provide us with information to protect against abuse. We also receive information from advertisers to provide advertising and research services on their behalf.

--"We use various technologies to collect and store information, including cookies, pixel tags, local storage, such as browser web storage or application data caches, databases, and server logs."

-- "We provide personal information to our affiliates and other trusted businesses or persons to process it for us, based on our instructions and in compliance with our Privacy Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures. For example, we use service providers to help us with customer support."

--We restrict access to personal information to Google employees, contractors, and agents who need that information in order to process it. Anyone with this access is subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations."

--"This Privacy Policy doesn’t apply to:

The information practices of other companies and organizations that advertise our services
Services offered by other companies or individuals, including products or sites that may include Google services, be displayed to you in search results, or be linked from our services"

____________ Anyway, I think you are right and I am wrong, google does not "sell" your information, they use it. ___________
However if you read this disclosure one would wonder how much Swiss cheese is in all the data that they have on you...
Its all good, I for one, do not think that google is the god almighty of transparency in as much as any corporation. If one is comfortable this all of the behind the scenes data sharing and analyzing on your family, its your choice.

One thing for sure, the typical American has no idea what is going on, they dont read disclosures and the "system" is full of holes.
Its why the EU has far more strict controls.

I dont know of many who read this stuff, ...

https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en-US#infocollect


I honestly don't think any corporation is that trustworthy (apple included - mainly because of their war on "right to repair"). I can understand not liking the way Google's privacy policy reads, however to me all it means is that they're going to send targeted ads toward me. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes not. Often times it just shows me ads for something I already bought, so I don't think they're paying that close attention. I also enrolled in Google opinion rewards, which they randomly send me surveys asking dumb questions (1-2 of them), I can answer in ten seconds and make $0.25 or so towards app or movie purchases etc... They ask me multiple choice questions about where I've visited recently, then if I paid by debit or other means.... I'm not sure how they don't already know the answer to that because I had my location turned on (if I don't I won't get the surveys). If I really want to be discreet I can always turn off the location with one click in my quick settings and I only need to turn it back on to use Google maps.

So I guess my next question is... If I was as privacy conscious as you why can't I just leave location off, browse in incognito mode, pause my history in YouTube, etc. Which I can do on my Android phone and my PC's?

Edit: What do you use for email for more privacy? I see that they can collect my emails through Gmail. I switched to Gmail from Hotmail like 15 years ago because I was getting so much spam on Hotmail. This is my only active email account now, the way I'm reading my privacy policy is that this is the only thing I can't control their access to (unlike my browsing history, location etc.)

Last edited by caprice_2nv; 01/04/20 08:25 AM.

84 Olds Cutlass - 350 Olds
83 Chevy Caprice - 305 Sbc
79 Honda CX500
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: caprice_2nv] #5312966 01/04/20 09:09 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
A
alarmguy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by terry274
Google has a vested interest to NOT sell your information. They sell advertisements paid for by companys directed to you based on the information they have about you. If the advertisers could get the information Google has about you, they would not need Google. So, yes Google collects a lot of information but they don't sell it.
In short, Google is rich because they sell advertisements, not personal information.
If you believe they are selling personal information, please find me ONE instance of that. One verifiable case of Google selling anyone's personal information.


You way over simplify, and that is ok. Like I said, if you dont care about google knowing all about you, beyond the fact of the data they collect from your email messages and what you search for, more like how your mind works, EVEN WHERE ON YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN WHERE YOU MOVE YOUR MOUSE, accumulating information of your children, family in return for free use of their stuff, hey that is fine. Maybe, maybe the word selling is over stated, Ill look more into that but I suspect you are correct in that they do not actually sell it, they use it and they do share it with other companies to process it.

Maybe more like UC50 states might be more accurate then the word sell, I think you maybe right on the word sell.
I would challenge anyone to actually read their privacy statement, its pretty darn creepy to me but again, to each his own.

Google Statements =
--"For example, we collect information about views and interactions with ads so we can provide aggregated reports to advertisers, like telling them whether we served their ad on a page and whether the ad was likely seen by a viewer. We may also measure other interactions, such as how you move your mouse over an ad or if you interact with the page on which the ad appears."

--"If you use our services to make and receive calls or send and receive messages, we may collect telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, receiving-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls and messages, duration of calls, routing information, and types of calls."

--"We may also collect information about you from trusted partners, including marketing partners who provide us with information about potential customers of our business services, and security partners who provide us with information to protect against abuse. We also receive information from advertisers to provide advertising and research services on their behalf.

--"We use various technologies to collect and store information, including cookies, pixel tags, local storage, such as browser web storage or application data caches, databases, and server logs."

-- "We provide personal information to our affiliates and other trusted businesses or persons to process it for us, based on our instructions and in compliance with our Privacy Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures. For example, we use service providers to help us with customer support."

--We restrict access to personal information to Google employees, contractors, and agents who need that information in order to process it. Anyone with this access is subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations."

--"This Privacy Policy doesn’t apply to:

The information practices of other companies and organizations that advertise our services
Services offered by other companies or individuals, including products or sites that may include Google services, be displayed to you in search results, or be linked from our services"

____________ Anyway, I think you are right and I am wrong, google does not "sell" your information, they use it. ___________
However if you read this disclosure one would wonder how much Swiss cheese is in all the data that they have on you...
Its all good, I for one, do not think that google is the god almighty of transparency in as much as any corporation. If one is comfortable this all of the behind the scenes data sharing and analyzing on your family, its your choice.

One thing for sure, the typical American has no idea what is going on, they dont read disclosures and the "system" is full of holes.
Its why the EU has far more strict controls.

I dont know of many who read this stuff, ...

https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en-US#infocollect


I honestly don't think any corporation is that trustworthy (apple included - mainly because of their war on "right to repair"). I can understand not liking the way Google's privacy policy reads, however to me all it means is that they're going to send targeted ads toward me. Sometimes it's helpful, sometimes not. Often times it just shows me ads for something I already bought, so I don't think they're paying that close attention. I also enrolled in Google opinion rewards, which they randomly send me surveys asking dumb questions (1-2 of them), I can answer in ten seconds and make $0.25 or so towards app or movie purchases etc... They ask me multiple choice questions about where I've visited recently, then if I paid by debit or other means.... I'm not sure how they don't already know the answer to that because I had my location turned on (if I don't I won't get the surveys). If I really want to be discreet I can always turn off the location with one click in my quick settings and I only need to turn it back on to use Google maps.

So I guess my next question is... If I was as privacy conscious as you why can't I just leave location off, browse in incognito mode, pause my history in YouTube, etc. Which I can do on my Android phone and my PC's?

Edit: What do you use for email for more privacy? I see that they can collect my emails through Gmail. I switched to Gmail from Hotmail like 15 years ago because I was getting so much spam on Hotmail. This is my only active email account now, the way I'm reading my privacy policy is that this is the only thing I can't control their access to (unlike my browsing history, location etc.)



_____Actually you can do the things you mention regarding securing your privacy, lets face it, over 75% of the US population doesnt/has no clue.
I have not researched nor care too regarding googles incognito mode or any of their products but without question you can limit some of it and its a start.
I use Microsoft "hotmail" too. Gosh I have so many "live" accounts and one "outlook" ... never would I be ok to google scanning my emails picking up "keywords" to sell me products.

With that said, as you might have guessed I have been transitioning to private email. Its REALLY simple to have COMPLETELY private encrypted email, www.protonmail.com (even recommended by Consumer Reports) though I have used them for years. Keep in mind, being its private, they do not scan your emails for information, they do not place ads in their program so the only way they make money is to charge for their service, however, they do have a free package if you do not need much storage, I use one free one and I pay for one.

IN addition to that, if you want a completely free package another option is Apples email system, free to anyone, with a bit more free storage. No ads on Apples system www.icloud.com

AS far as search engine 75+ percent of the time I am now using www.duckduckgo.com I will still use google from time to time but I check duckduckgo ALWAYS first. Completely private search engine.

Its gotten so bad even consumer reports reports on the privacy issue. BTW duckduckgo is also recommended by them.

So even though I do not know everything, I do know, google is evil and I do know protonmail is private and I do know duckduckgo is private and have used them much before Consumer Reports even came out with the report on them. (it was cool to for me to see them)

BTW ... for whatever its worth, its really cool to have a civil conversation about this. I dont have all the answers and not an expert but I do know I have the power to limit all this intelligence gathering on US citizens by corporations like google and that is EXACTLY what it is, "intelligence gathering"

I just posted this link in another thread, people will look at this (the ones that actually read it through and watch the video) and find a reason to discount the words from the CEO of one of the most successful technology firms in the world who is warning about this intelligence gathering on you, the USA citizen and citizens of the world...
Not everyone in this world is evil and some companies believe in the "right to privacy" it amazes me how the young and some old no longer care.

Here it is, straight from the horses mouth and yet, some people will dismiss it, even though, its already taking place.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/18017842/tim-cook-data-privacy-laws-us-speech-brussels


_____

Last edited by alarmguy; 01/04/20 09:13 AM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: alarmguy] #5313119 01/04/20 12:47 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,433
C
caprice_2nv Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,433
I will definitely look into using one of those email provider's as a second account, for when I want more privacy (can't hurt to have it for sure). However, I disagree about Google being anymore evil than apple. If apple has their way, you could never repair any product they sell you. You just have to buy a new one. (you didn't watch the video I shared about this and there are many more on the subject).

Today Google gave me one more reason not to dislike them... Not proud of it but I wasn't watching my budget closely enough and I had added YouTube premium to my account (no ads and you can download videos and play them in the background etc) and found out Google play music is included I this. So I was paying twice for a year.

A couple of clicks in my YouTube app and Google called me back.. had someone on the line within a minute. Within fifteen minutes I had $237 refunded to my credit card since I paid for 2 subscriptions for a year. They were actually very good about it. This isn't the first time I've called their customer support and it's always been faster and easier than calling absolutely any other company. If I knew how easy it would be, I'd have done it sooner.


84 Olds Cutlass - 350 Olds
83 Chevy Caprice - 305 Sbc
79 Honda CX500
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: alarmguy] #5313151 01/04/20 01:25 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
A
alarmguy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
Its all good, we all do what is good for us. I noticed a few times you state Apple is evil because makes it impossible for you to repair, for me I could care less, for me, the reason for Apple is the flawless performance, integration, security and privacy.

Im not going to second guess their manufacturing process for the few that might do their own repairs. Eliminating patch cords, plugs and replacing with solder is not a bad thing for reliability.

I haven't had to repair a computer in 25 years so if this apple ever breaks Ill send it in to be repaired.
Again, I stress, not debating you, we all do what works for us.


Last edited by alarmguy; 01/04/20 01:29 PM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: alarmguy] #5313163 01/04/20 01:40 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,433
C
caprice_2nv Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,433
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Its all good, we all do what is good for us. I noticed a few times you state Apple is evil because makes it impossible for you to repair, for me I could care less, for me, the reason for Apple is the flawless performance, integration, security and privacy.

Im not going to second guess their manufacturing process for the few that might do their own repairs. Eliminating patch cords, plugs and replacing with solder is not a bad thing for reliability.

I haven't had to repair a computer in 25 years so if this apple ever breaks Ill send it in to be repaired.
Again, I stress, not debating you, we all do what works for us.



It's not just that they make things a bit harder than other companies to repair, it's that the company itself is actively trying to fight the right to repair. I understand you're not interested in researching that anymore than I want to read every bit of Google's privacy policy (in my defense I did read some of it).

For me it's more important to have something that I can repair and keep for a long time. (hence the old Thinkpad, the OnePlus 5 (one of the more repairable Android phones) and 36 year old cars. I've repaired a number of phones over the years (including Apple) and I refuse to give money to a company that wants to stop all of us from being able to do that, or even being able to go to an independent repair shop. Can you imagine if any car manufacturer refused to sell parts to any independent garage? That's Apple for you.

The best thing going for apple is the long term software support (at least on phones and iPads - not computers (Microsoft supports longer), but they counteract that by selling failure prone hardware and discouraging from being able to repair them in the long run.

Apple wants you to pay big bucks for apple care and then when it breaks they will just send you a refurbished one (I've been through this in the past and that was before they started making them to be nearly unrepairable - since the iPhone 8 and x models).

Last edited by caprice_2nv; 01/04/20 01:42 PM.

84 Olds Cutlass - 350 Olds
83 Chevy Caprice - 305 Sbc
79 Honda CX500
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: alarmguy] #5313179 01/04/20 01:56 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,306
K
KrisZ Online Content
Online Content
K
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,306
I'm not sure where the idea of privacy with apple comes from. Did you read apples privacy policy? They track cookies, browsing activity keystrokes and they always include "We may" and "The following are some examples of..".
So they obviously track more than they list.

What provicay with apple are we talking about here?


2015 Grand Caravan 3.6L - 35k miles.
2006 Mazda 3 2.0L - 186k miles
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: KrisZ] #5313715 01/05/20 08:11 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
A
alarmguy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
Originally Posted by KrisZ
I'm not sure where the idea of privacy with apple comes from. Did you read apples privacy policy? They track cookies, browsing activity keystrokes and they always include "We may" and "The following are some examples of..".
So they obviously track more than they list.

What provicay with apple are we talking about here?


Here you go =
https://www.apple.com/privacy/

This will be the last word from me on this, some sheep can walk into the path of a wolf and not know it. (not directed at you)
Most people are unable to disseminate and analyze information with rational outcomes so they will debate.

Apple is the world standard vs Google and Microsoft operating system standards regarding privacy. Google the worst, Microsoft right behind google. Apple is the best, in fact that is their company philosophy.

AS far as the "cream or the crop" I guess that would be Linux for those who want to "go there". I know nothing about Linux and have no time to figure it out. Furthermore, not sure I would be able to trust that I would properly update Linux for any security issues that may arrive.

I use Apple for the integration with what I want to do and the company philosophy that privacy is a "fundamental human right" and they do everything they can to protect you. Gosh, I hope the young people are being taught, that is one of the things the USA stands for, as well as individual liberty.


If you dont believe it, I cant help you. :o)
... nor can I educate anyone, they would need to be driven to examine/research the operating systems and company philosophy of Google, Microsoft and Apple and come to their own conclusion. I already know I am right.

Last edited by alarmguy; 01/05/20 08:29 AM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: alarmguy] #5313766 01/05/20 09:21 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,433
C
caprice_2nv Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,433
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by KrisZ
I'm not sure where the idea of privacy with apple comes from. Did you read apples privacy policy? They track cookies, browsing activity keystrokes and they always include "We may" and "The following are some examples of..".
So they obviously track more than they list.

What provicay with apple are we talking about here?


Here you go =
https://www.apple.com/privacy/

This will be the last word from me on this, some sheep can walk into the path of a wolf and not know it. (not directed at you)
Most people are unable to disseminate and analyze information with rational outcomes so they will debate.

Apple is the world standard vs Google and Microsoft operating system standards regarding privacy. Google the worst, Microsoft right behind google. Apple is the best, in fact that is their company philosophy.

AS far as the "cream or the crop" I guess that would be Linux for those who want to "go there". I know nothing about Linux and have no time to figure it out. Furthermore, not sure I would be able to trust that I would properly update Linux for any security issues that may arrive.

I use Apple for the integration with what I want to do and the company philosophy that privacy is a "fundamental human right" and they do everything they can to protect you. Gosh, I hope the young people are being taught, that is one of the things the USA stands for, as well as individual liberty.


If you dont believe it, I cant help you. :o)
... nor can I educate anyone, they would need to be driven to examine/research the operating systems and company philosophy of Google, Microsoft and Apple and come to their own conclusion. I already know I am right.


It does suck that we need to choose between privacy (the walled garden of Apple) and a reasonable/fair price and the right to repair our own stuff. In my opinion, both are wrong and we have to choose which is most important to us.

The way I see it both of us don't want to admit how bad each of our chosen platforms is when it comes to their downfalls.

Btw, I installed Linux (latest Ubuntu) on my 10 year old laptop a few weeks ago as dual boot. I'm not an expert, just followed some YouTube guides go get it working. Everything is working well on it and straight forward. It reminds me of Mac os visually. It already wants to do an update which I paused because I was in the middle of watching some videos. The fact that we have Linux as a backup for old equipment is great. I also did a bunch of research on turning my one pc into a hackintosh, but it sounds like the reliability isn't as good as Linux, as an update can break it at anytime.


84 Olds Cutlass - 350 Olds
83 Chevy Caprice - 305 Sbc
79 Honda CX500
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: alarmguy] #5313833 01/05/20 11:05 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,306
K
KrisZ Online Content
Online Content
K
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,306
The link you provided to apple policy is just highlights of the good things apple does with regards to data. From your post it seems you base your opinion on these highlights. Not sure if you read the actual policy. Or if you read it, for some reason it doesn't register with you that apple collects just as much info as Google.

The difference is that apple doesn't sell all that info for advertising revenue.

So it appears that corporate double speak worked on you quite well.

Here are some examples from their actual privacy policy:

Quote
Collection and Use of Personal Information

Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.

You may be asked to provide your personal information anytime you are in contact with Apple or an Apple affiliated company. Apple and its affiliates may share this personal information with each other and use it consistent with this Privacy Policy. They may also combine it with other information to provide and improve our products, services, content, and advertising. You are not required to provide the personal information that we have requested, but, if you chose not to do so, in many cases we will not be able to provide you with our products or services or respond to any queries you may have.

Here are some examples of the types of personal information Apple may collect and how we may use it:
When you create an Apple ID, apply for commercial credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for a class at an Apple Retail Store, connect to our services, contact us including by social media or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, device identifiers, IP address, location information, credit card information and profile information where the contact is via social media.



Last edited by KrisZ; 01/05/20 11:25 AM.

2015 Grand Caravan 3.6L - 35k miles.
2006 Mazda 3 2.0L - 186k miles
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: KrisZ] #5313883 01/05/20 12:20 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
A
alarmguy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
Originally Posted by KrisZ
The link you provided to apple policy is just highlights of the good things apple does with regards to data. From your post it seems you base your opinion on these highlights. Not sure if you read the actual policy. Or if you read it, for some reason it doesn't register with you that apple collects just as much info as Google.

The difference is that apple doesn't sell all that info for advertising revenue.

So it appears that corporate double speak worked on you quite well.

Here are some examples from their actual privacy policy:

Quote
Collection and Use of Personal Information

Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.

You may be asked to provide your personal information anytime you are in contact with Apple or an Apple affiliated company. Apple and its affiliates may share this personal information with each other and use it consistent with this Privacy Policy. They may also combine it with other information to provide and improve our products, services, content, and advertising. You are not required to provide the personal information that we have requested, but, if you chose not to do so, in many cases we will not be able to provide you with our products or services or respond to any queries you may have.

Here are some examples of the types of personal information Apple may collect and how we may use it:
When you create an Apple ID, apply for commercial credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for a class at an Apple Retail Store, connect to our services, contact us including by social media or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, device identifiers, IP address, location information, credit card information and profile information where the contact is via social media.



Originally Posted by KrisZ
The link you provided to apple policy is just highlights of the good things apple does with regards to data. From your post it seems you base your opinion on these highlights. Not sure if you read the actual policy. Or if you read it, for some reason it doesn't register with you that apple collects just as much info as Google.

The difference is that apple doesn't sell all that info for advertising revenue.

So it appears that corporate double speak worked on you quite well.

Here are some examples from their actual privacy policy:

Quote
Collection and Use of Personal Information

Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.

You may be asked to provide your personal information anytime you are in contact with Apple or an Apple affiliated company. Apple and its affiliates may share this personal information with each other and use it consistent with this Privacy Policy. They may also combine it with other information to provide and improve our products, services, content, and advertising. You are not required to provide the personal information that we have requested, but, if you chose not to do so, in many cases we will not be able to provide you with our products or services or respond to any queries you may have.

Here are some examples of the types of personal information Apple may collect and how we may use it:
When you create an Apple ID, apply for commercial credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for a class at an Apple Retail Store, connect to our services, contact us including by social media or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, device identifiers, IP address, location information, credit card information and profile information where the contact is via social media.




Not even close, read the full google and Apple disclosures, nothing more that I can add.


14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: alarmguy] #5313994 01/05/20 03:48 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,433
C
caprice_2nv Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,433
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by KrisZ
The link you provided to apple policy is just highlights of the good things apple does with regards to data. From your post it seems you base your opinion on these highlights. Not sure if you read the actual policy. Or if you read it, for some reason it doesn't register with you that apple collects just as much info as Google.

The difference is that apple doesn't sell all that info for advertising revenue.

So it appears that corporate double speak worked on you quite well.

Here are some examples from their actual privacy policy:

Quote
Collection and Use of Personal Information

Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.

You may be asked to provide your personal information anytime you are in contact with Apple or an Apple affiliated company. Apple and its affiliates may share this personal information with each other and use it consistent with this Privacy Policy. They may also combine it with other information to provide and improve our products, services, content, and advertising. You are not required to provide the personal information that we have requested, but, if you chose not to do so, in many cases we will not be able to provide you with our products or services or respond to any queries you may have.

Here are some examples of the types of personal information Apple may collect and how we may use it:
When you create an Apple ID, apply for commercial credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for a class at an Apple Retail Store, connect to our services, contact us including by social media or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, device identifiers, IP address, location information, credit card information and profile information where the contact is via social media.



Originally Posted by KrisZ
The link you provided to apple policy is just highlights of the good things apple does with regards to data. From your post it seems you base your opinion on these highlights. Not sure if you read the actual policy. Or if you read it, for some reason it doesn't register with you that apple collects just as much info as Google.

The difference is that apple doesn't sell all that info for advertising revenue.

So it appears that corporate double speak worked on you quite well.

Here are some examples from their actual privacy policy:

Quote
Collection and Use of Personal Information

Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.

You may be asked to provide your personal information anytime you are in contact with Apple or an Apple affiliated company. Apple and its affiliates may share this personal information with each other and use it consistent with this Privacy Policy. They may also combine it with other information to provide and improve our products, services, content, and advertising. You are not required to provide the personal information that we have requested, but, if you chose not to do so, in many cases we will not be able to provide you with our products or services or respond to any queries you may have.

Here are some examples of the types of personal information Apple may collect and how we may use it:
When you create an Apple ID, apply for commercial credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for a class at an Apple Retail Store, connect to our services, contact us including by social media or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, device identifiers, IP address, location information, credit card information and profile information where the contact is via social media.




Not even close, read the full google and Apple disclosures, nothing more that I can add.



So you've obviously spent way more time reading start to finish both disclosures but you wouldn't even watch the video from the reputable repair guy I posted for you who was on the news because of apples shady repair practices ripping people off in their "genius" bar? I don't think anything would change your mind either way. That's fine. It's your money to spend and your devices that may not be repairable.


84 Olds Cutlass - 350 Olds
83 Chevy Caprice - 305 Sbc
79 Honda CX500
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: alarmguy] #5314484 01/06/20 07:08 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
A
alarmguy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
^^ yeah, I dont get the point of your posts trying to discredit Apple computers using a post from a guy making a YouTube video.
Think about that.

and .. .your right, its my money, no different then If I bought a brand car you didnt like or washing machine. *L* [censored], I can find a bad youtube post on anything.

Your posts have nothing to do with my posts regarding privacy and Apple making it more easy for me to control it, as well as their operating philosophy.

Last edited by alarmguy; 01/06/20 07:09 AM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: alarmguy] #5314703 01/06/20 10:57 AM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 192
T
terry274 Online Content
Online Content
T
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 192
This has been an interesting thread. I use Debian Linux and Firefox browser. Firefox extensions are Ublock Origin and Cookie Bro. My default search engine is Duck Duck Go. I don't have a Facebook account.

Originally Posted by alarmguy

AS far as the "cream or the crop" I guess that would be Linux for those who want to "go there". I know nothing about Linux and have no time to figure it out. Furthermore, not sure I would be able to trust that I would properly update Linux for any security issues that may arrive.


It's not that hard to use Linux, as far as the updates I get a small taskbar notification when one becomes available. I click the notification, enter a password and it is updated. The update typically takes less than 20 seconds and I don't have to restart.

Does anyone remember phone books? Everyone had their name and address printed and distributed throughout the community for all to see. You could pay and get a "private listing". I don't know what that entailed, we never got the private listing when I was a child. The phone company sold advertisements in the yellow pages part of the book, that was how they made profit on the book.

Stop for a moment and think of all the different entities that "track" you. Drivers license, car tags, social security numbers, store loyalty cards. Cameras on every street and building. Facial recognition that is astounding.

Look at the information available here on BITOG. Click on a members username and find all their posts and you can learn enough to make Google envious.

The point is, privacy is an illusion and has been since before the internet came into being. And people voluntarily giving their information is how the bulk of the info gets out.


2011 Toyota Avalon
2019 Honda Ridgeline
2009 Ford Taurus
2012 Honda Accord
1996 Ford F150
Re: Quick Mac mini Update [Re: alarmguy] #5315518 01/07/20 07:08 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
A
alarmguy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,719
"The point is, privacy is an illusion and has been since before the internet came into being. "
1. I do not agree, people do not have to share their data with the major internet players, their local ISP, Google etc.
So maybe you are right, it is an illusion to those that do nothing about it.

"And people voluntarily giving their information is how the bulk of the info gets out."
2. I DO agree, they rather give it up then pay for applications and information.

3. Yes, it seems for the adventurists, Linux is the way to go. I have thought about it many times, god, I got 4 decent well equipped PC's neatly sitting literally a few feet from me doing nothing/disconnected, just waiting for me to verify I have all the family photos off before I throw them out. Just about ANY of them would most likely make a good Linux computer, more so a recent almost unused Dell optiplex that my wifes company told her she could have as they didnt need it and they knew I was into computers.

Anyway, everything is about time and although I like the idea of toying around with it, there are other things I rather do until the day comes that I have too much time on my hands. *L*

Last edited by alarmguy; 01/07/20 07:11 AM.

14 Road King (current)
08 VStar 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50
Page 6 of 6 1 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™