Ultra Power filter cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter was run for 3000 miles on our Traverse, oil life was at 44%. Gets driven about 2 miles a day hauling the kids to daycare and work as my wife works there for the killer discount.
We take it out pretty much every weekend for a decent drive to try and let it stretch it's legs. I bought these filters off RockAuto as the pic was of Carquest blues. Well these cheap filters showed up. Decided I'd try one, it will be the only one. It's ugly, no tears but it truly looked awful. The bottom end cap looks to be tearing off but it was still on the there pretty good and didnt actually fall off, adbv was super stiff. I'm guessing from all the short drives. Threw the rest of the Ultra Power filters I had away. The Carquests, and Delcos have come out looking way better then this. Enjoy, well look at it anyways.
crazy2.gif

10B98E6B-52EE-477D-BE38-276FDE59C8DE.jpeg

EDD16DF2-6F6A-4DCD-85B0-B2F0E5B31CF5.jpeg

B1829A84-88F8-4752-910E-23330C2F8ACC.jpeg

D580391E-B6C1-4F3E-BE23-38A697B3399A.jpeg

FCAB64AF-42A7-40C8-8759-76AB5C50EA2D.jpeg

9050933B-3083-415A-845F-1B23A8453EC9.jpeg

2BEB0E7D-E4FA-41DD-BA2D-447EDFBAF0F8.jpeg

Oh my. I don't think I'd use those anymore. Especially on a short tripper. Thanks for posting though.

Don't worry about the actual filter … just look at that great ADBV … ...œ

Maybe cut open a new one. Unless you've already taken the trash out! Could be fun to look at.

Originally Posted by WiskyBadger
Filter was run for 3000 miles on our Traverse, oil life was at 44%. Gets driven about 2 miles a day hauling the kids to daycare and work as my wife works there for the killer discount.
We take it out pretty much every weekend for a decent drive to try and let it stretch it's legs. I bought these filters off RockAuto as the pic was of Carquest blues. Well these cheap filters showed up. Decided I'd try one, it will be the only one. It's ugly, no tears but it truly looked awful. The bottom end cap looks to be tearing off but it was still on the there pretty good and didnt actually fall off, adbv was super stiff. I'm guessing from all the short drives. Threw the rest of the Ultra Power filters I had away. The Carquests, and Delcos have come out looking way better then this. Enjoy, well look at it anyways.
crazy2.gif

OMG, that is *****

Thanks for the cut and post
crazy2.gif

I bought these filters off RockAuto as the pic was of Carquest blues. Well these cheap filters showed up.

That's why I'll never buy oil filters from Rock Auto.

Thanks for the C&P.

A 3,000 mile run? That's just nasty. The filter is in really bad shape. The oil looks nasty. Was that HDEO oil?

An RA "Ultra Power" mystery, "not so Super" Auto OF at 3k miles...
shocked.gif
Good move throwing the rest out.
thumbsup2.gif
That's where they belong. This RA OF Forrest box of chocolates, like the movie title, Superbad.

Thanks the c&p.
shocked2.gif

Not only are the number of pleats lacking, they look pretty thin to me as well.

As already suggested, if you can recover one from the trash and cut it open that would be educational for all of us.

Meanwhile, I buy my filters from places where I can see them upfront before paying.

I hope you were refunded for the bait and switch. Please cut a fresh one open Id love to see how poorly they were made from the factory

Maybe the filter isn't great, but the short tripping is to blame.

You have a ton of water in that oil.

Issue would be to find alternate transportation.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Not only are the number of pleats lacking, they look pretty thin to me as well.

As already suggested, if you can recover one from the trash and cut it open that would be educational for all of us.

Meanwhile, I buy my filters from places where I can see them upfront before paying.

I usually do too. I had gotten actual Wix made Carquests before on these RockAuto deals. Won't do it again after these turds.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Maybe the filter isn't great, but the short tripping is to blame.

You have a ton of water in that oil.

Issue would be to find alternate transportation.

This is the only filter that has looked like this coming off the Traverse. I hadn't posted others but I will. There's a Delco on now, I will post it after it's been cut.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Maybe cut open a new one. Unless you've already taken the trash out! Could be fun to look at.

I can pull one back out. They're still in boxes.

Originally Posted by MParr
A 3,000 mile run? That's just nasty. The filter is in really bad shape. The oil looks nasty. Was that HDEO oil?

It was a mix of 5w30 and 10w30 synthetics.

Originally Posted by 69Torino

I can pull one back out. They're still in boxes.

Waste.

Spiraled pleats are from viscous , watery oil.

Cheaper filters use rag and paper with little or no F-glass or polyester reinforcement.

Problem with F-glass can be the filter will tear at the endcaps.

I posted a photo hear of a VERY expensive Genuiine Honda Filtech S2000 "racing" filter ( $14.00) cut open with torn pleats.
My Nissan 4 banger destroyed that across one New England Winter. And that CUV got a 23 miles one way commute daily.

but I had to go up a steep hill just 1 mile into a cold start, and the CVT trans when cold is programmed to rev the engine to near 3000rpm and hold it to warm it up fast.

There is a filter killer right there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back