Outrageous furnace prices in Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOGER's,

I live an hour north of Denver and Colorado has gone crazy with Heating and a/c prices. We've had a 12.7-13% population growth over the last 7 years. Supposedly the average prices in the Denver metro area are $4,500 to 10,000 for ONE furnace. What's everyone else in BITOG LAND paying. I know the A-coil is blocked reducing flow. All suggestions for dealing with these turkeys appreciated,
Malcolm

The A-Coil can be cleaned. How easily, that's another matter. It might need to be pumped down, unsoldered... if a contractor has to do all that, they will always recommend a new one.

When I had my heat pump updated, I had the A-Coil put above the air handler, with an access panel beneath it.

Back to prices. When I got quotes in MD a few years back, they varied from $4K to $12K. Chances are the people you want to talk to, are the ones that DON'T need to advertise, and won't be the first hit on the search engine, or the big Ad in the local fishwrapper. They get by on word of mouth, and $3K of your new furnace install price will not go towards advertising.

I have three furnaces in my large house that were replaced a year ago. They cost $6k each. No a/c in the house. And this was from a furnace guy that is known in our community to be expensive (but does a top-notch job).

$1500 for a 80 percent Ruud furnace in Western New York a few years back.

$2800 for a full American Standard 80 Percent Gas with 2.5 ton AC unit in Round Rock Texas two years ago.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Back to prices. When I got quotes in MD a few years back, they varied from $4K to $12K. Chances are the people you want to talk to, are the ones that DON'T need to advertise, and won't be the first hit on the search engine, or the big Ad in the local fishwrapper. They get by on word of mouth, and $3K of your new furnace install price will not go towards advertising.
It's not that simple in regards to the $3k mark up, but you are correct. Chances of finding that contractor are a lot less likely than OP being old and scoffing at anything over a market price from 1992.

About 8 months ago, $5500 for a 96% furnace and a new A/C installed with warranty. This company had done some previous properties for me, and it just the owner+his helpers running it all. After i paid him and all that i asked him if he made like 2 grand on that, he said i was extremely accurate in my estimate. That is not much money to make at all on such a big job and warranty afterword.

HVAC is a racket. I just ordered an 80%, 40,000 BTU furnace for $550.00 delivered from an on-line wholesaler. Probably won't have a warranty, but who cares. Figure about 4 to 5 hours labor to have someone install it. The "A" coil is easy to clean when the furnace is out of the way.

We get about 3500 for a furnace give or take depending on efficiency and whats involved in the change out. That's for an American Standard Furnace.

I know the big companies like One hour are charging top priced for junk goodman equipment. Stay away from those companies and goodman equipment!

My younger sister had a 60K BTU American Standard/Trane 97 percent efficient gas furnace and a 17 SEER 2 ton air conditioner. It also came with a new evap/A coil, expansion valve, Honeywell air filter box and a new thermostat. The AC is rated 17 SEER with the correct furnace and expansion valve.
Installed last spring for $6400. The company doesn't advertise and uses word of mouth. PM me if your in Central Ohio and want his number.

Genesis 90k 84% (I think) boiler was just under $5k installed about a year ago, middle of january rush job. I also had to replace the one at the shop, 110k high mount oil burner was about 6400.

Last edited:
My son has been HVAC installer for 20 years.
He does jobs on the side .
Recently a co worker of mine got estimates between $12K and $14K.
My son did the job for $8K.
But all jobs are different depending on the furnace and A/C size and difficulty of the install.
Complete new furnace and A/C.
You just have to know someone.
This is in the Denver area.

Last edited:
This quote is from last month for a rental I own. I went with option A. It replaced a Lennox Pulse from 1986 that was leaking CO.

20200105_084754.jpg

Originally Posted by HangFire

We just got a new Lennox gas installed for $2500 plus tax. Big budget places wanted 5 to 10 k, we did just what this poster did and found a great deal from a small place that did a great job.

Originally Posted by JustinH
$1500 for a 80 percent Ruud furnace in Western New York a few years back.

$2800 for a full American Standard 80 Percent Gas with 2.5 ton AC unit in Round Rock Texas two years ago.

Installed?

I've never had to have one replaced, but that's less than half of what people tell me they've paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back